I think I may have killed a driver...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

col

Legendary Member
I've answered that. At least once. Let's see if you can find it.

No ta,iv had enough of humouring you now,its obvious your just playing games and being silly,so ill leave it there:biggrin:

I forgot to mention,IM STILL ALIVE:laugh::angry:

col

Legendary Member
Your loss. Your wasted opportunity to engage in useful discussion.

Never mind.

I know my loss;)

shimano

I've read this thread through and pondered its possibilities but I keep coming back to the inescapable fact that a car driver is inside 1 to 2 tons of metal whilst a cyclist :blush: is astride a few bits of tubing:sad:. I'm scared of nothing (except trees - google 'Day of the Triffids' to see why:eek:) or no man (so far :wacko:) but a loony in a car can seriously mess up your day; why bother, just to make a point?

col

Legendary Member
shimano said:
I've read this thread through and pondered its possibilities but I keep coming back to the inescapable fact that a car driver is inside 1 to 2 tons of metal whilst a cyclist :blush: is astride a few bits of tubing:sad:. I'm scared of nothing (except trees - google 'Day of the Triffids' to see why:eek:) or no man (so far :wacko:) but a loony in a car can seriously mess up your day; why bother, just to make a point?

This is the holy grail of answers:smile:

OP
OP
Sh4rkyBloke

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
shimano said:
...why bother, just to make a point?
Because if no-one makes the point then Mr Bully-in-my-car just carries on doing exactly what he wants.

Think back to all the anti drink driving advertising - why bother with that? Over the years it has become more socially unacceptable to drink and drive mainly, I would argue, because of this raising of awareness and turning people against it... then peer pressure comes to bear and people don't do it (as much). If no-one had bothered to point out that this behaviour was wrong and illegal (much like the running of the red light) then it would have continued.

Slightly tenuous argument, but the sentiment and logic is correct.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Sharky, a change in attitude isn't going to come from someone on a bike pointing out that they've run a red light though. It's come from proper enforcement of the law, and people taking the consequences of breaking it more seriously than they do now.

A lot of traffic law seems to be regarded as breakable, so long as no one gets hurt. That may have been the case with drink driving in the past too. In that case, the vast majority are now at a state of mind where they wouldn't dream of driving when over the limit AT ALL, partly because of the perceived danger to themselves and others, and partly because of the legal and social consequences of being caught and actually punished.

In contrast, there's lots of other traffic law that can be broken more or less with impunity - the likelihood of punishment being small, and the legal and social consequences minor.

Cab

shimano said:

You assume you're more likely to be harmed by someone if you stand up to them just a smidgin? So, a tiny glance or a look or a shake of the head is a mistake? I disagree. I think that if you don't stand up to someone who is endangering you then they'll continue to do it. To be safe you have to be visible and assertive, if you start getting all passive then you may as well lie down and let the bully stamp all over you.

Sh4rkyBloke said:
Because if no-one makes the point then Mr Bully-in-my-car just carries on doing exactly what he wants.

But a) he may well have had a good look and decided it was safe to rlj in this instance, just as many people on bikes do every day (and some people on this forum use that very argument to justify it), and :blush: you're not going to change his mind by making the self-gratification artist sign at him and shaking your head. All he would have thought afterwards is "what was that dickhead on the bike on about?" (no disrespect intended). Sorry.

bryce

21 pages on this thread in a few days?? If we had this conversation in a pub, someone tactful would have waited for a pregnant pause and changed the subject by now.

If someone wants to break traffic laws, then they are able to do so freely.

If, by their illegal actions, a law-abiding person is injured/ killed then they will be wholly culpable. Let that rest on their conscience and wallet.

Maz

Guru
bryce said:
21 pages on this thread in a few days?? If we had this conversation in a pub, someone tactful would have waited for a pregnant pause and changed the subject by now.
Did you hear about Curbishley resigning from West Ham? I reckon Keegan's on his way out too, soon.

Maz

Guru
Aperitif said:
The new guy has a big forehead. He should have been made manager of Nottingham Forhead FWIW.
:biggrin:
We better knock this on the head before we get banned for being thread saboteurs.:sad:

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Seems to me we all share a responsibility not to 'let bullies walk all over us', but at the same time, polishing bananas in the air may not be the best way to enlighten errant motorists - on the contrary, it may well serve only to entrench them in their anti-social ways.

FWIW, I do make a point of making people aware of my disapproval of their pig-ignorant behaviour - whether they're drivers, peds or indeed bicycling peeps - but I leave banana-polishing to others, restricting myself generally to the slightest shake of the head, accompanied by a look calculated to express pity rather than anger, as in: 'It can't be easy going thru' life with such a small penis'. Not that it's easy to express an idea of that complexity with a mere glance...but if you get as much practise as I do...

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Been there, answered that col.

It seems you're telling off the OP for something he didn't do.

Now catch up.

You've taken long enough to come to that conclusion. Same goes for the amber gambler bollocks Col was talking right at the beginning.

I've plonked him now.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
An article in the Economist recently concluded that
“Managing more cyclists is going to take more than new bike paths or fresh stripes on the roads. It looks as though there is a need, on both sides, for a revolution in manners.”
(Talking mostly about the US experience of motorist/cyclist conflict)

Top Bottom