I think I may have killed a driver...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stephenb

Guru
tdr1nka said:
Well said small fish, I too have been chased by a driver I gave the one finger salute to.;)

+1. shook head at guy on a mobile phone last Saturday, he slams car to dead halt, gets out and comes charging back with crow bar in hand, did quick 180 and took off down (the shame of it) the footpath so he couldn't run me down from behind. This sort of thing really makes me worry for you guys with the helmet cams; the wrong nutter in the wrong place and you could be :eek:. serious.

hackbike 6

Lucky he didn't chase you with his mobile phone,he'd be faster. ;)

col

Legendary Member
My position is very clear.

Yours isn't. You're talking about people causing deaths, in the midst of discussions ranging from drivers being given funny looks to polishing bananas. You're claiming that our actions on a bike that result in drivers losing their temper should be avoided. Well that's all of us off the road then. As I said, I've had drivers lose it because I pulled into an ASL in front of them.

You're talking about deliberately winding people while avoiding considering alternative motives. You're all in a muddle, and expecting people to give yes or no answers to questions coming out of that muddle.

And I'm still not sure why you quoted my "bouncing up and down" post in the first place. You seem to be taking from this that I enjoy winding up drivers and do it intentionally, without even knowing whether I had anything to do with the events that led to the bouncing, and am denying it.

We all know about the angry motorist that doesnt like being beaten by a bike ect ect.And my extreme example of a heart attack was just that,but again,you clutch onto anything to try to ridicule the real question.Im asking you if its wrong to wind people up on purpose or right?No muddle there as far as im concerned.You can dance around it as much as you want,but its a simple question that you still seem to want to avoid answering,i answered your new post where you didnt catch my answer,its only polite to do the same of mine isnt it?
So is it wrong or right ?

Still alive by the way.

Cab

I'll remind you of the time when, in a stand-off over right of way, you stuck your air brakes on and got your thermos out.

Ahh, yes, thanks for that reminder. A genuinely stylish, brilliant story that I'd quite forgotten about :ohmy:

Cab

col said:
We all know about the angry motorist that doesnt like being beaten by a bike ect ect.And my extreme example of a heart attack was just that,but again,you clutch onto anything to try to ridicule the real question.Im asking you if its wrong to wind people up on purpose or right?No muddle there as far as im concerned.You can dance around it as much as you want,but its a simple question that you still seem to want to avoid answering,i answered your new post where you didnt catch my answer,its only polite to do the same of mine isnt it?
So is it wrong or right ?

Still alive by the way.

Define 'winding up'. Glances? Concerned looks? Shaking the head? Pointing? Waving? Yelling? What do you mean 'winding up', and are you really saying you never shake your head or show the least emotion on the roads? And, more to the point, do you really believe that such a thing is never helpful?

col

Legendary Member
Cab said:
Define 'winding up'. Glances? Concerned looks? Shaking the head? Pointing? Waving? Yelling? What do you mean 'winding up', and are you really saying you never shake your head or show the least emotion on the roads? And, more to the point, do you really believe that such a thing is never helpful?

Im not saying anything ,assumption on your part again.Can you answer the question,or will you go off and avoid doing that by asking something else again?As a mask to answering.Here it is again;)
Is it right or wrong to wind someone up on purpose to get a reaction?

Taking a while?Its not a hard question.:ohmy:

Cab

col said:
Im not saying anything

And yet, strangely, you still find something to post about.

,assumption on your part again.Can you answer the question,or will you go off and avoid doing that by asking something else again?As a mask to answering.Here it is again;)
Is it right or wrong to wind someone up on purpose to get a reaction?

Taking a while?Its not a hard question.:ohmy:

I'm trying to define the question so it is one worth answering. How are you defining this 'winding up'? I've given you examples, what do you mean?

col

Legendary Member
Cab said:
And yet, strangely, you still find something to post about.

I'm trying to define the question so it is one worth answering. How are you defining this 'winding up'? I've given you examples, what do you mean?

:laugh:There you have it,a blatant attempt to avoid:laugh:

Oh and let mr p know im alive,im sure he was worried earlier;)

Cab

col said:
:laugh:There you have it,a blatant attempt to avoid:laugh:

Oh and let mr p know im alive,im sure he was worried earlier;)

I see, so asking to clarify a loaded question is now avoidance. You're familiar with 'have you stopped beating your wife'?

OP
OP
Sh4rkyBloke

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Rhythm Thief said:
"Mildest, tiniest form of sarcasm"? Come on. Why turn around to a driver (who, fair enough, has jumped a red light) and start making wristy gestures and commenting on his driving?

I only originally applauded his driving whilst shaking my head - that's all.

When he started shouting and beeping and gesticulating as he passed I shouted that he'd run the red light and suggested his love of ononism, much the same as he was suggesting towards me whilst driving away.

col

Legendary Member
Cab said:
I see, so asking to clarify a loaded question is now avoidance. You're familiar with 'have you stopped beating your wife'?

Im not,what does it mean?

Still havnt answered either eh?:wahhey:
Nor has mr p;)

OP
OP
Sh4rkyBloke

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Okay Col - here goes.

Is it wrong to deliberately wind someone up looking for a reaction? I'd say "yes" pretty much all of the time... but here's the tricky bit, you need some form of context around it.

I don't see my initial applause and shaking of head as "winding up" - it was a display of my displeasure at his low standard of driving. No, it didn't directly affect me, but this doesn't mean I have to ignore it - where would the world be if we all went round ignoring anything that didn't directly affect us (would you assist someone in trouble or walk by as it didn't affect you??).

The following gestures and remarks were both in reply to his intimidation tactics (beeping and shouting) and also, I must admit, to wind him further up because by that time he was both genuinely amusing me with his complete over-reaction, and also annoying me as he seemed to think he was superior to me (I was just a "f*cking cyclist") and that he was perfectly at right to sail through a red light.

So, I don't class my initial gestures as 'winding him up', but after that they were indeed so.

Yes, it could have all gone pear shaped, but I'll obviously have to deal with that if and when it happens - I will not be silenced just because of the thought that someone may violently disagree with me.

Cab

col said:
Im not,what does it mean?

Still havnt answered either eh?:wahhey:
Nor has mr p;)

No one will answer your question because like 'did you stop beating your wife?' it is a loaded question. To try to unload it I sought clarity on what you mean 'wind up', but rather than be constructive and clarify you have instead chosen to show your discursive ineptitude by whinging on that your loaded question was not answered. Grow out of it.

Top Bottom