I think I may have killed a driver...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cab

Rhythm Thief said:
But he does have a point. Why deliberately go out of your way to try and wind up other road users?

Why misinterpret the mildest, tiniest form of sarcasm or comment as a deliberate attempt to get a reaction?

col

Legendary Member
Cab said:
Why misinterpret the mildest, tiniest form of sarcasm or comment as a deliberate attempt to get a reaction?

Its really unbelievable how what some do is made to seem so innocent,when they know what they are doing,and want to get as much reaction as possible ,because its funny.

Cab said:

"Mildest, tiniest form of sarcasm"? Come on. Why turn around to a driver (who, fair enough, has jumped a red light) and start making wristy gestures and commenting on his driving? If that's not "a deliberate attempt to get a reaction" I don't know what is, especially given that the first thing Sharky did was to come here and tell us all about the great reaction he got from a driver. Apart from anything else, it strikes me as very unwise to start raising the blood pressure of someone behind you who is in charge of a vehicle. Like poking a wasps' nest with a stick is unwise.:thumbsup:

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
I tend to agree. Provoking (and I would say what was described does come under provoking) a person driving a large vehicle relative to a bicycle just isn't wise, even if the driving actions of that person were poor.

This does raise an interesting point though -if nobody dares to criticize you, do standards drop due to lack of peer pressure? Was there ever a time when you could criticize or shame someone for their lack of consideration or attention? I do see the point that if you are so timid that you never call out somebody for doing something wrong, then society could then be on a downward spiral.....

Perhaps it's more a case of how that defines me when I say I wouldn't do that -to me it's just not worth it -but I wonder if that's not a good thing.

Rhythm Thief said:
it strikes me as very unwise to start raising the blood pressure of someone behind you who is in charge of a vehicle. Like poking a wasps' nest with a stick is unwise.;)

col

Legendary Member
Is there no one with the guts to admit to doing it on purpose?And to give the reason why they feel the need?
Very dissapointing,i thought we might have got to some real reasons and maybe even solutions to stop some doing it,without blaming others on the road for their anger,but it seems its a very sensitive topic,and it gets very defensive about doing it.I believe those who do it have anger control problems,and use this as an outlet.
The one thing i think we can say,is that even those who do it know that its wrong,or we would have plenty admitting to it and giving their reasons,and as far as im concerned,this is the end of trying to get someone to admit it,as its plain that noone want s to.But if more defensive posts are made i will respond,but not just to get the pages going fossy,but to respond to others posts:smile:

col

Legendary Member
And I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be admitting to or denying. Have you asked me?

Ok lets make it simple,would you say that winding someone up so as to get a reaction or cause them to lose their temper is bad or good?

Still alive here.

col

Legendary Member
Define "winding someone up". Make the distinction between possible motives for shaking your head at a driver. Is it to wind him up or berate?

Try and think properly about your claim that I can make someone do something in this kind of situation. I can't, and you know it. The reality, being provocation, is different and I have explained this very clearly and acknolwedged it. You need to accept the difference between these two.

I have no temper issues at all. I've only ever lost my temper once, in terms of allowing it to take over my body. A long time ago.

Which is the whole point. I've looked at drivers in the past and they've lost it. I've also had all kinds of abuse thrown at me and not responded at all.

You're coming at it from the ridiculously dramatic "if he has a heart attack the bloods on your hands" stance. If a driver has a heart attack because I puul into an ASL in front of him, and I've wound up a few doing this over the years, is it my fault? Of course it isn't. I've raised my hands in disbelief at stupid manouevres and the driver has lost it. Is that my fault? Nope.

If I continually taunt a driver over a long period with a cattle prong until he loses it and has one, is it my fault? Well, that's the other extreme.

The only, very simple issue, is our disagreement about whether or not shaking your head and clapping is out of line. I really don't think that it is. There's a level of inappropriateness in it, but only in the same way as being curt with a rude shop assistant.

You're trying to argue that it is because it could result in the death of someone.

Does this mean your saying its wrong? The shop assistant isnt behind you and nothing to do with you.

small fish

OP - sh4rky - It's a very funny story - and well told!

I too have a devil side ;) which occasionally manifests itself in the form of antagonistic shouts and gestures to other road users - and has on a couple of occasions led to drivers chasing and threatening to beat me up.

I'm small and weedy so this is not a good thing... luckily I can ride pretty quick... but I really don't like the fact that I do this and wish that I didn't.

Recently, in stop start traffic very close to where I live I slapped the door of an Audi S4, the second time it passed me with 6" to spare rather than wait 5 seconds for an oncoming car to pass. The driver went absolutely mental and basically I realised too late that he looked like a serious gangster/psycho. He got stuck in traffic and I got home in time to see him driving up and down my road 3 times, presumably looking for me... So now I cack myself every time I see an Audi and have a (slightly irrational) fear of being mowed down by gangsters...

So testosterone, adrenaline, whatever it is that makes some of us occasionally antagonise cagers... never forget that people who drive twatty dangerous anti social vehicles are generally twatty dangerous anti social people...!! I learned my lesson big time, the whole experience really shook me up, and hopefully I will keep a lid on my indignation in future!!

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Nigeyy said:
This does raise an interesting point though -if nobody dares to criticize you, do standards drop due to lack of peer pressure

I believe peer pressure has a huge huge influence on people. The signs are very obvious as a teacher - just praise one person's particular good skill, and most of the class start trying to emulate that person.

This is why most of my road interactions tend to be positive. I'm defo not averse to pointing out mistakes though, and I do it on purpose. Most of them are for things such as a too-close overtake, red light jumping (by both drivers and cyclists), and mobile phone usage. I do think it's better to be polite and friendly, as virtually no-one responds well to sarcasm/strong castigation/swearing type stuff, and my goal is for them to feel pressure and to learn.

hackbike 6

Am I evil?

No! Let them stew in their little cages.;)

small fish I have never whacked anybodies car ever intentionally,unintentionally yes.I have seen other cyclists do it and see very negative reactions from this.

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
small fish said:
OP - sh4rky - It's a very funny story - and well told!

I too have a devil side ;) which occasionally manifests itself in the form of antagonistic shouts and gestures to other road users - and has on a couple of occasions led to drivers chasing and threatening to beat me up.

I'm small and weedy so this is not a good thing... luckily I can ride pretty quick... but I really don't like the fact that I do this and wish that I didn't.

Recently, in stop start traffic very close to where I live I slapped the door of an Audi S4, the second time it passed me with 6" to spare rather than wait 5 seconds for an oncoming car to pass. The driver went absolutely mental and basically I realised too late that he looked like a serious gangster/psycho. He got stuck in traffic and I got home in time to see him driving up and down my road 3 times, presumably looking for me... So now I cack myself every time I see an Audi and have a (slightly irrational) fear of being mowed down by gangsters...

So testosterone, adrenaline, whatever it is that makes some of us occasionally antagonise cagers... never forget that people who drive twatty dangerous anti social vehicles are generally twatty dangerous anti social people...!! I learned my lesson big time, the whole experience really shook me up, and hopefully I will keep a lid on my indignation in future!!

Well said small fish, I too have been chased by a driver I gave the one finger salute to.:eek:

hackbike 6

I had a go at a driver once for stopping right at a bus stop the one at Mile End Tube coming towards Bow,then a bus got involved.Wondered why the bus driver was faffing about and overtook him on the inside and found the car parked right on the bus stop box.Slammed the front brake on and my back wheel went almost 180 degrees in the air.Stopped about ten yards short.Told the driver that it wasn't a very good place to park and I didn't swear once,then the comedian decided to come after me.

Top Bottom