I think I may have killed a driver...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

col

Legendary Member
Sh4rkyBloke said:
Okay Col - here goes.

Is it wrong to deliberately wind someone up looking for a reaction? I'd say "yes" pretty much all of the time... but here's the tricky bit, you need some form of context around it.

I don't see my initial applause and shaking of head as "winding up" - it was a display of my displeasure at his low standard of driving. No, it didn't directly affect me, but this doesn't mean I have to ignore it - where would the world be if we all went round ignoring anything that didn't directly affect us (would you assist someone in trouble or walk by as it didn't affect you??).

The following gestures and remarks were both in reply to his intimidation tactics (beeping and shouting) and also, I must admit, to wind him further up because by that time he was both genuinely amusing me with his complete over-reaction, and also annoying me as he seemed to think he was superior to me (I was just a "f*cking cyclist") and that he was perfectly at right to sail through a red light.

So, I don't class my initial gestures as 'winding him up', but after that they were indeed so.

Yes, it could have all gone pear shaped, but I'll obviously have to deal with that if and when it happens - I will not be silenced just because of the thought that someone may violently disagree with me.

Thank you,the first real honest answer,it is wrong to do this.Whether you like it or not,your head shaking a clapping got his response,Im sure you knew this,and if you had minded your own business,i would guess this would never have happened but you just carried on enjoying it as you went.im still curious why you felt you had to do this in the first place,instead of just going on your way,i mean he didnt cause anyone problems,he was behind you,so you had to look behind and make the effort to intimidate him,so why would you start this incident?I notice you refer again to his low standard of driving,how do you come to this,unless you have eyes in the back of your head,and yes he probably ran a red,but that doesnt mean he cant drive,it means he did what you nearly did barring a second or two,he probably knew the lights also and knew he was ok to get through,could that be the case?
You say you wont be silenced if someone violently disagrees with you?I would agree and back you,if you had a genuine reason to do it,but this wasnt,you started it and are now trying to justify your actions.
But my respect for admitting its wrong.

col

Legendary Member
Cab said:
No one will answer your question because like 'did you stop beating your wife?' it is a loaded question. To try to unload it I sought clarity on what you mean 'wind up', but rather than be constructive and clarify you have instead chosen to show your discursive ineptitude by whinging on that your loaded question was not answered. Grow out of it.

Still wont answer then?:wahhey:
your the only one whinging and now comes the insults,how predictable:biggrin:
Why not just answer ,you know what the question is,your just being awkward:smile:

OP
OP
Sh4rkyBloke

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
col said:
i mean he didnt cause anyone problems, he was behind you,so you had to look behind and make the effort to intimidate him,so why would you start this incident?
Huh??? Me clapping and shaking my head somehow intimidates him? I think he needs to toughen up a bit then.

I notice you refer again to his low standard of driving,how do you come to this... and yes he probably ran a red, but that doesn't mean he cant drive
Never said he *can't* drive, I just said that it is poor driving. Running a red is not good driving. Simple really.

it means he did what you nearly did barring a second or two,he probably knew the lights also and knew he was ok to get through,could that be the case?
Errr, no. I made it through quite legally. He did not. Regardless of whether he knew the timing of the lights he had enough time to be able to stop legally and safely once it had gone to Amber - he chose not to, he chose to run the red light. Still, as long as it's only a second or two I guess it's okay in your book...

But my respect for admitting its wrong.
I don't actually recall me saying it's wrong (what I did) - I did say that deliberately winding someone up could be wrong.. but again, it's all about context. :wahhey:

col

Legendary Member
Sh4rkyBloke said:
Huh??? Me clapping and shaking my head somehow intimidates him? I think he needs to toughen up a bit then.

Never said he *can't* drive, I just said that it is poor driving. Running a red is not good driving. Simple really.

Errr, no. I made it through quite legally. He did not. Regardless of whether he knew the timing of the lights he had enough time to be able to stop legally and safely once it had gone to Amber - he chose not to, he chose to run the red light. Still, as long as it's only a second or two I guess it's okay in your book...

I don't actually recall me saying it's wrong (what I did) - I did say that deliberately winding someone up could be wrong.. but again, it's all about context. :wahhey:

You didnt say "could be",you said "yes pretty much all the time"check your own post.Ok i misread your post,your obviously changing your mind.
How do you know whats in my book,i gave you a possibility and asked if that could be the case?I can see we are wasting our fingers here,i thought you had admitted to it,never mind eh?:bravo:

col

Legendary Member
Not dancing around anything. I thought I'd made it perfectly clear where I'm coming from.

I asked you to define what you see to be 'winding up'. I also asked you to consider what actually happened and the motives behind it.

Until you answer this, as you seem reluctant to, we can't move on.

I learned the hard way how you and cab operate,and i wont be pulled in to be dissected,:angry: so if you feel you cant answer a simple question,which im sure you and most know what it is about,then so be it,keep avoiding it with your games,i think we can all draw our own conclusions this way :biggrin:

col

Legendary Member
Not dancing around anything. I thought I'd made it perfectly clear where I'm coming from.

I asked you to define what you see to be 'winding up'. I also asked you to consider what actually happened and the motives behind it.

Until you answer this, as you seem reluctant to, we can't move on.

Hopefully you've stopped suggesting now that shaking your head at a driver is wrong because it might kill them, now that you've acknowledged that there was absolutely no point making such a ridiculous comment, which has held back your position for several pages.

Or are you now saying that mild reactions like that in the OP are wrong because they'll cause a heart attack, but they won't?

Have you got to grips with your misunderstanding about choice and responsibilities yet?

you caught me out there with your edit:biggrin:

Ill ask once more then i wont ask again,as your starting your offshoot games and avoiding answering anyway,so here you go one last time.

Winding someone up to react is right or wrong?

Cab

col said:
I learned the hard way how you and cab operate,and i wont be pulled in to be dissected,:angry:

Heaven forbid you be distracted by something as meaningless as a defined, meaningful question rather than a vague loaded one (did you stop beating your wife).

so if you feel you cant answer a simple question,which im sure you and most know what it is about,then so be it,keep avoiding it with your games,i think we can all draw our own conclusions this way :biggrin:

Yes, I'm afraid (for your sake) that we all can.

col

Legendary Member
It's not a competition. And you're still funny. Anything other than the answer you want is diversion.

Put it into context. Which winding up are you talking about?

Note that I've answered this several times. But I'll humour you.

Which winding up?

Cab said:
Heaven forbid you be distracted by something as meaningless as a defined, meaningful question rather than a vague loaded one (did you stop beating your wife).

Still alive here:biggrin:

:biggrin: Ok ill humour you a little longer,your both twisting it round,trying to say i have to answer before you have the ability to answer,ok here it is in even simpler form.:angry:
Winding up to get a reaction of anger,right or wrong.?

col

Legendary Member
Col, let's clear this up then, seeing as you don't seem to grasp how debate goes.

Are you talking about the first actions of the cyclist? If you are, the pre-question is whether this is considered to be winding up.

That's why all that is being asked of you is some clarity to your question.

If you are talking about the first actions then the question is unanswerable and irrelevant, because sharky wasn't trying to wind him up.

If you are talking about the banana polishing then it's different and a response can be given. Remember that originally you thought wrongly that the banana polishing came first.

So, again, the necessary question -what winding up?

edit: I really don't know why I'm making this effort with you, as I've already commented on both scenarios.

Even simpler format for you;)

winding up to anger by a cyclist in the first instance,right or wrong?
You surely cant not understand now?:angry:

Cab

edit: I really don't know why I'm making this effort with you, as I've already commented on both scenarios.

Because you want to give him further opportunity to make himself look comically inept in totally lacking in understanding of how to debate?

col

Legendary Member
Cab said:

Glad you agree:biggrin: inearly fell off my chair there;)

col

Legendary Member
Come on you two,get an answer in,i and a lot of others probably want this thread to end,but you keep pretending you dont understand the question,surely you can now?

You surely cant not understand now;)

Iv just realised why your taking so long,your thinking of ways to dissect and question the question arnt you:biggrin:

Oh and did i mention,IM STILL ALIVE:biggrin:

col

Legendary Member
Been there, answered that col.

It seems you're telling off the OP for something he didn't do.

Now catch up.

I take it you still wont answer:laugh:
dissapointing but expected:biggrin:
If your having trouble understanding,im sure someone might help you;)

col

Legendary Member
OK. If you insist.

Col, there was no deliberate winding up in the first instance in this thread.

Why are you asking an irrelevant question?

Very good mr p,nicely thought out there:biggrin:
so lets just say that this is a question about no one in particular,ok?:angry:

col

Legendary Member
I've answered col. And some more.

Now run along and have another look, there's a good boy. There's no need for me to repeat myself when it's already been said.

Calm down mr p,its you thats refusing to answer a very simple question,well it is now i suppose,seeing as you couldnt grasp it earlier.:angry:

Top Bottom