I want a big enough saddle bag for a flask, butties and spare clothes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Carradice is the usually brand for CTC tourists. They are surprisingly lightweight for old fashioned materials, and they last for decades, if not generations.
+ lots. & you'll be supporting the very local economy. You may want to consider their SQR quick release block system too, it gives the option of other bags than saddle loop ones if you did want to pack clothes or for a longer stint. The saddle loop ones (The Nelson Longflap etc - that's a really good commuter/day bag BTW and totally CTC ;) ) will also fit on the SQR rack as will bags from other makers.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Remember you will most likley need a support for it as well and they cost £40.00 plus. So it will be near a £100ish all done.
Shop around you can get a bagman support for £25.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Lol that's what I was thinking !

Spends all that money on a new bike & then begrudges paying a tenner for a cuppa & piece of cake & in turn supporting a local business , I bet that they're well pleased when they turn up & all get there own food & drink out !

Accy's explained why he wants a bag and posted in the components and accessories section of the forum, so being told to buy his food is less than helpful.

Unlike Accy, I am a spendthrift and have a limitless budget for food and drink.

But it doesn't help me if there's a long queue, the place has nothing I want or sold out of it, or if it's shut when I turn up - all of which has happened.

Supporting local business is great, but the service has to meet the customer's needs.

And as has been pointed out, the best saddlebag maker is local to Accy.

winjim

Smash the cistern
As has been said, Carradice. Good simple products, well made with natural materials and absolutely first class customer service.

For a sense of scale, this is a Carradice Nelson, full of cake.
20150623_082518-jpg.105998.jpg

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Just to reiterate what I posted previously on another thread:
Carradice are in Nelson, so not far from you. If you drop in on them they will sell you seconds at half price. You can have a sort through and pick something that suits your purpose.
That way this thread might only survive 3 pages :smile:

Thanks, yes i remember you telling me before. I might have a look on Monday. Where abouts in Nelson is it? Meaning is it near the motorway turn off or around there?

winjim

Smash the cistern
You need the 'Longflap' version. :becool:
True dat.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Lol that's what I was thinking !

Spends all that money on a new bike & then begrudges paying a tenner for a cuppa & piece of cake & in turn supporting a local business , I bet that they're well pleased when they turn up & all get there own food & drink out !

Local businesses, when they're miles away from home!:rolleyes: Pleased or not, if you don't use their facilities such as tables and toilets then what you do is of no concern to them. And there's a clue in the touring title. Touring includes taking your own stuff with you. Do you begrudge tourers who have the audacity to take their own camping equipment instead of using 4 star hotels?:laugh:

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Accy's explained why he wants a bag and posted in the components and accessories section of the forum, so being told to buy his food is less than helpful.

Unlike Accy, I am a spendthrift and have a limitless budget for food and drink.

But it doesn't help me if there's a long queue, the place has nothing I want or sold out of it, or if it's shut when I turn up - all of which has happened.

Supporting local business is great, but the service has to meet the customer's needs.

And as has been pointed out, the best saddlebag maker is local to Accy.

Nice post that explains it well Pale Rider!:okay: It's the queuing that's the worst. On Wednesday's club run we got to the Roots cafe at Catforth to find two other cycling groups waiting for food. I ordered my coffee, and eggs on toast. They arrived 25 minutes later, so i had just 5 minutes to eat them before i heard the "Come on get it down you, we're going"!!:ohmy:

I think a saddle bag will be frowned on by a road club like my Wednesday lot, but a touring club then no problem!

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Nice post that explains it well Pale Rider!:okay: It's the queuing that's the worst. On Wednesday's club run we got to the Roots cafe at Catforth to find two other cycling groups waiting for food. I ordered my coffee, and eggs on toast. They arrived 25 minutes later, so i had just 5 minutes to eat them before i heard the "Come on get it down you, we're going"!!:ohmy:

I think a saddle bag will be frowned on by a road club like my Wednesday lot, but a touring club then no problem!

Inevitably ride refreshment will be a mixture of bought and brought.

You don't have to take the saddlebag on every ride, especially if you get one that's only held on with a couple of straps.

I would get one with compartments or a side pocket or two, on those without your stuff ends up in a heap at the bottom of the bag and it's a faff to dig out the item you want.

Carradice offer a bewildering array of bags, so it's very handy you can visit them to choose.

Top Bottom