I want a big enough saddle bag for a flask, butties and spare clothes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
You may want to consider their SQR quick release block system too,
I love my sqr, but I'd consider carefully before using it with a carbon seat post

I can also recommend this thermos mug, which is a normal thermal coffee mug, with a screw on waterproof lid with a built-in carabiner
DSC_0001_2.JPG

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
try this company as they have some like this one http://www.gearbest.com/bike-bags/pp_333232.html

PpPete

Legendary Member
I prefer the Alpkit Koala to the Carradice offerings.
It's more streamlined**, so much lighter, and doesn't need any heavy supporting structure. It's also compressible, so it works fine from 3 litres up to its maximum capacity of 13 litres.

** like that makes a difference behind my fat thighs !

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Once you have the Carradice, you will want a Bikebuddy for the flask.

Or you could do as I do and stuff the flask into a standard bottle cage padded with a rag.

Which itself is handy at this time of year for wiping a wet bench, wall, rock or whatever you choose to sit on.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
@Accy cyclist you seem to ask us rather than Googling quite simple things (observation not criticism) so a quick overview of the SQR system I mentioned on p1.

A couple of my bikes SQR pics for illustration, with & without the Super C semi rigid bag in place.

The bag attaches to a small metal frame, The Super C bag is SQR specific so the frame is fitted so to speak inside the sheath on the top of the bag. The frame is removable and usable on its own, it is suitable for other Carradice bags too and emulates saddle loops so will happily take any saddlebag that a saddle will. You can see the metal frame then attaches and locks into the SQR block on the seatpost, gives a solid and rigid set up

DSC_0143.JPG
DSC_0146.JPG

simongt

Guru
Nice post that explains it well Pale Rider!:okay: It's the queuing that's the worst. On Wednesday's club run we got to the Roots cafe at Catforth to find two other cycling groups waiting for food. I ordered my coffee, and eggs on toast. They arrived 25 minutes later, so i had just 5 minutes to eat them before i heard the "Come on get it down you, we're going"!!:ohmy:
On the subject of queueing, one thing that never fails to amaze me :eek: is when on the Norwich 100, one of the stops is at a National Trust posh gaff. Now they know full well that the stop is going to be HEAVING with hundreds of cyclists most of whom will want a bite and a drink. BUT, obviously in order to retain their posh standards, everyone is expected to queue up at the restaurant / cafe and wait ages whilst the staff work frantically to get orders filled. It's obviously beneath them to have a couple of stands selling a selection of filled rolls, pies, buns, cold drinks etc., say £1 or £2 each to ensure a fast turnover and no doubt, a fast profit. Aaarrgghh - !:banghead:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
@Accy cyclist you seem to ask us rather than Googling quite simple things (observation not criticism) so a quick overview of the SQR system I mentioned on p1.

A couple of my bikes SQR pics for illustration, with & without the Super C semi rigid bag in place.

The bag attaches to a small metal frame, The Super C bag is SQR specific so the frame is fitted so to speak inside the sheath on the top of the bag. The frame is removable and usable on its own, it is suitable for other Carradice bags too and emulates saddle loops so will happily take any saddlebag that a saddle will. You can see the metal frame then attaches and locks into the SQR block on the seatpost, gives a solid and rigid set up

View attachment 125856 View attachment 125857

Interesting bike you have there, @shouldbeinbed

Is it a Riese and Muller folder?

R&M are known to me for their high quality ebikes, although a bit beyond my budget at £3k-£5K+.

http://en.r-m.de/e-bikes/

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Interesting bike you have there, @shouldbeinbed

Is it a Riese and Muller folder?

R&M are known to me for their high quality ebikes, although a bit beyond my budget at £3k-£5K+.

http://en.r-m.de/e-bikes/
Yeah, it's my beloved and slightly aged Birdy Blue, its the original round tube frame rather than the more angular recent monocoque updates. I've had it since new in 2002 & it's still as much fun to ride and is back to being my daily 1st choice commute or errand or just for the heck of it ride now I've got the rear hub gearing sorted out and running right again after wearing out the SRAM dualdrive it came with.

When I'm totally happy the (slightly disappointing) SA 5 speed hub has bedded in properly, I'm very likely to have my Brompton up for sale on here.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Fourteen years' service and counting shows the worth of buying a quality bike.

You are not the first rider to wear out a SRAM Dualdrive, I've heard several tales of them failing after not many miles, so I don't think it's SRAM's finest effort.

I might keep an eye out for your Brompton.

I sold mine a year or so ago and keep on thinking about getting another.

contadino

Veteran
Carradice do seem to fit the requirements, but they're heavy, expensive and they only fit some bikes properly.

I'd suggest going to their shop with your bike (and a fat wallet) to get sorted.

It's taken me two saddles, three racks and nearly a year of fiddling around to get my bag sat on my bike properly.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Carradice do seem to fit the requirements, but they're heavy, expensive and they only fit some bikes properly.

I'd suggest going to their shop with your bike (and a fat wallet) to get sorted.

It's taken me two saddles, three racks and nearly a year of fiddling around to get my bag sat on my bike properly.
Whereas I have 3 Carradice (Zipped roll, Barley, Camper Longflap) and they all fit all my bikes without issue! Even the Giant TCR ....

Top Bottom