I want to start cycling to work but I put off by the busy road

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyb47

Guru
Hi.
As my cycling enthusiasm is growing day by day I'm now starting to think of commuting to work on my bike. Work is around 15 miles from home and feel I could comfortably to it, but it's the busy road that puts me off. Most of the ride to work and back ,will be on a busy fast A road which has long straight flat stretches. As a driver myself, I've seen some crazy motorists who have travelled along it over the years. I would be setting off from home at around 5.30 am and hopefully arrive around 6.30..
Would I be insane to even attempt it ,or is it more of a psychological concern..
I would really like to be able to commute into work though. It would save a few ££s on fuel and help me gain more fitness but its the dam busy road that's putting me off.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Maybe you would beat the crazies going in at that time, but would you hit heavy traffic coming back?

Are there no (sensible) alternatives to the A-road?

JhnBssll

Veteran
Give it a go and see ^_^ I avoid the direct A road route and commute down a fairly busy B road, 60 limit most of the way dropping to 30 through the villages. It was unnerving at first but I'm confident I've done as much as I can to be seen and quite quickly got used to the volume and speed of traffic.

Give yourself plenty of time to get changed on arrival :okay:

classic33

Leg End Member
Used to do the daily trip to Leeds via the A58. Found that the worst parts were the schools, the approach to Chain Bar and the last mile into Leeds. Did the outward trip at school run time.

Cycling along the same road before 6am, the road was quiet.

Give it a go and see how things actually feel.

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
There is a quieter road half way along the journey I could take but it will take me a couple of miles longer and includes a few steep climbs. I suppose I could cycle back home that way as there's no time constraints in getting home on time as opposed to getting to work on time. Hopefully I will pluck up the courage tomorrow morning and try it out.

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
No side roads you can take? If you don't feel safe on that road, trust your instincts. Cyclists are allowed on all roads except motorways but sadly there will always be some roads that are downright dangerous for cyclists.

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
No side roads you can take? If you don't feel safe on that road, trust your instincts. Cyclists are allowed on all roads except motorways but sadly there will always be some roads that are downright dangerous for cyclists.
It's a 60mph road but from experience whilst driving ,many motorist fly past me in the morning hammering it along there. It almost like they feel there in there comfort zone knowing there no police around that time of the morning.

Thomson

Go for it. If you leave early will the roads be quiet?

I could count on one hand how many cars overtake me going my three mile cycle to work.

I sold my car for the same reason to save money.

Do it towards the end of the week when the roads are less busy - or wait till the kids are off school.
What I found is that you gradually find a route that avoids the nastily roundabouts and dual carriageways. Also playing devils advocate you still need to keep your wits about on the side roads - I got knocked off on the most innocent of side rides thankfully it was only minor bump...

Top Bottom