I want to start cycling to work but I put off by the busy road

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
Go for it. If you leave early will the roads be quiet?

I could count on one hand how many cars overtake me going my three mile cycle to work.

I sold my car for the same reason to save money.
That's a good point actually.
In the car I usually set off for around 6am and arrived at work around 6.30.
On the bike I will have to set off somewhat earlier so hopefully the roads will be that less busy.
If I do try it I will wear my high vis cycling jacket and use my bright seat post light and rear helmet light to make my self as visible as possible.

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
Are there any more local cyclist's you could ask about doing the journey ?
I did ask another work mate funny enough not to long ago about how he felt about cycling along there to work. He did it on a regular basis and he didn't really seem to concerned about it. Mind you he's was a well seasoned cyclist and cycled many a miles over his time in the saddle.

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
After reading all the good advice I'm going to give it a try tomorrow. I will set off at first light at around 5.20 and should hopefully arrive around 6.20 )depending on which way the winds blowing). They give it a dry day tomorrow, so it's an ideal time to try it out. I won't be cycling every day to work but now the weather's looking good and the day light hours are getting longer I will hopefully cycle a few times to work when the weather's dry. When its wet I will use the old iron chariot of an excuse of a car.:-) :-)

Slick

Guru
You have around the same distance as I have but mine is very mixed terrain from quiet unlit country roads to a short stretch of dual carriageway. I actually asked on here for route advice and got some good suggestions from a few locals but I did it in stages until I was confident of the entire route. Not an option open to everyone, but throwing the bike in the car worked for much to start me off.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
All the best for tomorrow @johnnyb47.
It took me a couple of years to refine my commute, still now I change from time to time, according to my shifts.
Some roads are busier than others at certain time of the day or of the week you will find.
Also, try to mix and match roads with segregated cycle paths if possible: you may not have discovered alternative routes if you always have been driving to work.
I used to ride my local dual carriage way until, due to a recently constructed bypass, it really got too busy.
If you feel a certain stretch does not inspire confidence don't ride it, the stress will put you off ime.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
The vast majority of accidents involving cyclists are in 30 mph zones. Having said that only you can judge under what road conditions you are happy riding under. So you can try it and see how it feels, is it pleasant enough at the times you commute, or does it feel stressful? Personally I avoid busy roads when I can just because I don't find them relaxing. But I have never had an accident on one. But then in fact I have never had an accident involving anyone else. My offs are limited to black ice.

Clearly the earlier you set off the quieter the road will be. Is there scope at work to start 30 mins earlier and finish 30 mins earlier? Sometimes just shifting your commute time a little can make a big difference to how busy sections are.

As others have said there are often cycling options you are just unaware off if you have always driven to work.

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
Thank you all for all your knowledge and wisdom. I think i'd better get some shut eye now , as its going to be an early start tomorrow.
Have yourselves a great day tomorrow and take care all :-) :-)
Why waste time sleeping?

gilespargiter

Veteran
Knowing N Wales pretty well, as I do although mostly the N.W. - it won't be the A55 as that has a pretty reasonably alright cycleway along next to it (in no small measure thanks to Roy Spillsbury of the CTC - thankyou Roy) - can take you at least three times as long cycling W, along it sometimes though!

There are often not really anything like direct alternatives to the main routes in that area. Of course be useful to have a better idea of where your route is. . .
One thing though, I find particularly in an area like that it is mostly the same traffic you meet each day - so after a little while they get used to expecting you as a feature of their journey. I find this helps a lot, especially if you acknowledge particularly the one's that slow down and give you loads of room. You are establishing yourself as a feature of their journey at a good time of year now.

At the moment I find myself often commuting a particularly crap section of the A470 in mid-Wales. I find the lorries, particularly the timber lorries (to and from Newbridge mill) are a) regularly up and down - so get to know you. and b) Amongst all the traffic most consistently and sometimes patiently overtake me in the text book way that they should, as do the local taxis and school buses. I think the trick of it is to inoffensively assert your right to be there while having a good regard for your safety.
I hope it pans out well for you, these things are often worse to think about than to actually do.

Use a route plotting app, like RidewithGPS Or Strava, and see if there’s a way to avoid the road you don’t like ( there probably is ). Buy, Beg, borrow or steal a Garmin, or similar. Follow the route. Remember the route. #5.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
I did ask another work mate funny enough not to long ago about how he felt about cycling along there to work. He did it on a regular basis and he didn't really seem to concerned about it. Mind you he's was a well seasoned cyclist and cycled many a miles over his time in the saddle.

Well I would do a couple of days commuting with him and see how you get on .

Oh and don't dress ninja style be bright and visible

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Well I would do a couple of days commuting with him and see how you get on .

Oh and don't dress ninja style be bright and visible
I don't know what they grow over there but yellow crops are abundant here now (daffs and rapeseed now) so ninja IS visible but typical hi vis is rather effective camo.

Try routing with cycle.travel as it will pick the quietest roads. I do use RidewithGPS but unless you force it to take quiet roads, it will send you down busier roads than cycle.travel.

Top Bottom