I want to start cycling to work but I put off by the busy road

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Johnno260

Veteran
I had some issue when I commuted, I took a slightly longer rural route it was well worth it.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
The vast majority of accidents involving cyclists are in 30 mph zones.
That's because the vast majority of cycling is in 30mph zones. If I remember correctly, 60mph single carriageway roads are by some distance the most dangerous, mile for mile, for all road users.

mangid

Guru
Here's hoping it was a pleasant ride in !

I typically set off at 5:20, and around here I normally see more cyclists for the first hour than cars. Have the luxury of being able to go the long way in, and don't have any major roads to cope with, so light on advice. Tis be the best way to start the day, especially on a brisk sunny morning like today.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
Could you share some of the roads / routes you might have as options using google maps etc. ?

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Time constraints can really scupper your cycling commutes if you let them. Right from the off you need to realise that you need to get up at least an hour earlier. There is no getting round that. My commute is 20km and I get up 2 hours before my start time which is between 4am and 7am...I choose. I have time to get ready and have breakfast before riding to work. I then have a shower and coffee before starting. On the way home I often extend the ride. Its 40km tonight. Via Aldi for bike gear. Once you have done it a few times it will be fine. Your confidence will grow.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Try orange or pink in that case. Saturn Yellow isn't the only colour out there.
Or I could stick with black and grey or blue, which is visible, higher contrast than orange or pink and more acceptable to the eye when off the bike.

classic33

Leg End Member
Time constraints can really scupper your cycling commutes if you let them. Right from the off you need to realise that you need to get up at least an hour earlier. There is no getting round that. My commute is 20km and I get up 2 hours before my start time which is between 4am and 7am...I choose. I have time to get ready and have breakfast before riding to work. I then have a shower and coffee before starting. On the way home I often extend the ride. Its 40km tonight. Via Aldi for bike gear. Once you have done it a few times it will be fine. Your confidence will grow.
It can often be quicker in heavy traffic by bike than either car or public transport.

I used to use the time saved to get something to eat.

Bodhbh

Guru
I don't know what you have available to ride, but would there be off-road options? Try using the OS feature in bikehike. My commute is either 8 miles one way in traffic or 12 miles one way by my lonesome on bridleways. You take your pick.

Top Bottom