I want to start cycling to work but I put off by the busy road

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rivers

How far can I go?
I would have said that a regular long commute would help with sleep - it's all that fresh air and exercise.

It doesn't. I suffer from insomnia. My roundtrip commute to work is 32 miles, which I do at least 3 days/week. I extend my commute home to about 45-50 miles once a week at least plus a weekend club run. I still get maybe 4 hours/night if I'm lucky

... If I remember correctly, 60mph single carriageway roads are by some distance the most dangerous, mile for mile, for all road users.
The A386 between Plymouth and Yelverton is always busy with cyclists. Personally, I wouldn't ride it even if paid. The NCN27 route is a much longer, but much nicer way of getting from Plymouth to Tavistock.
So I can totally understand OP's point of view.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I think you need to ride the route on a day off with no time constraints. Roads seem to look more scary from a car when you are considering them as cycle routes.

Cars going fast aren't a probem if they can pass you easilly .I ride some 60 mphA roads no worries whereas some narrower slower B roads I avoid.

Whatever happens don't beat yourself up. Do what you are comfortable with.

Alan O

Über Member
I would have said that a regular long commute would help with sleep - it's all that fresh air and exercise.
The fresh air/exercise/sleep thing can be strange. This week I've had very full days at my thinking job, so I've been mentally tired at the end of the day. And I've been going out for 15-20 mile rides in the evenings. Usually that combination would have me sleeping like the proverbial log, but I've been sleeping badly and waking constantly throughout the night.

Top Bottom