I want to start cycling to work but I put off by the busy road

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
Hi. Well I hold my head in shame tonight. I didn't do it ;=(.
Last night I had an awful nights sleep and barely got 3, 1/2 hours of sleep. I've been suffering from insomnia for a couple of years now since the ex run off into the distant sunset with her new fella. Last night whilst trying to get to sleep ,I was thinking about how safe this road I would be traveling along would be. I'm afraid negativity set in and by the morning I struggled to get up for work from lack of sleep and did the cardinal sin and grabbed the car key's.
On the way to work I did pay close attention to the road and came to the conclusion its not really a safe place to be on a bike that time of morning. I really don't think I would enjoy cycling along it with cars thundering past at the speed of light.
On a positive note though, I had a very nice bike ride tonight of around 20 miles. No cars to mention and lots of fellow cyclists who seemed very friendly.
Sorry for what is now a pointless thread, but I think my cycling is something I should enjoy and feel safe as opposed to cycling to work and feeling anxious about it.
Right ,I'll hide behind the sofa now with my tin hat on waiting for the rotten tomatoes to be thrown at me lol..
Hope you all had a good day and speak soon for sure :-)

The Jogger

Legendary Member
20 miles is 20 miles, it doesn't matter if it is commute or leisure ride. Well done.

classic33

Leg End Member
@johnnyb47, front and centre!!
479.jpg

Did say you'd waste time sleeping. What you've got to consider is your safety. If you feel you wouldn't be safe then that's it.

Thinking about "Did I do the right thing" as you continued cycling would only have made things worse. You'll get there, don't worry and it's upto you in the end, no-one else.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I commuted for 5 years in London before cycling was invented in the Big Smoke (Late 90s) A positive byproduct of that is my confidence and bike handling skills in traffic. I think you will do well. You seem very positive.
I'm sure that @fossyant and @I like Skol had exactly the same view too until the cars of idiot motorists mangled them! :whistle:

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Last night I had an awful nights sleep and barely got 3, 1/2 hours of sleep. I've been suffering from insomnia for a couple of years now since the ex run off into the distant sunset with her new fella. Last night whilst trying to get to sleep ,I was thinking about how safe this road I would be traveling along would be. I'm afraid negativity set in and by the morning I struggled to get up for work from lack of sleep and did the cardinal sin and grabbed the car key's.
On the way to work I did pay close attention to the road and came to the conclusion its not really a safe place to be on a bike that time of morning. I really don't think I would enjoy cycling along it with cars thundering past at the speed of light.
On a positive note though, I had a very nice bike ride tonight of around 20 miles. No cars to mention and lots of fellow cyclists who seemed very friendly.
Sorry for what is now a pointless thread, but I think my cycling is something I should enjoy and feel safe as opposed to cycling to work and feeling anxious about it.
Right ,I'll hide behind the sofa now with my tin hat on waiting for the rotten tomatoes to be thrown at me lol..
I got up at 5 this morning and read this thread . Noticed your last post and thought there is no way hes going to ride in the morning . I think i went to bed at 930 to get up early to ride and i didn't ride either :okay: .
Dont write the idea of riding anywhere though . It's not a thing you have to do or not do . Just do what you want when you want and not bother about what people think :okay: Its only riding a bike mate .

Alan O

Über Member
I reckon you made exactly the right decision - if you ride routes that you don't feel confident of, that will multiply any dangers. Ride where you feel safe and comfortable, and only you can decide that.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
"What doesn't kill me, makes me stronger"... :whistle:

I always think that seems a strange concept since many people get crippled by events which don't kill them!

Not my words or thoughts or concept at all. I just prefer a more positive view on life.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Well, we certainly can't let mad motorists force us off the roads, but I do try to avoid roads where they seem to be particularly bad.
I enjoy twatting myself down them at 40 mph at 7 am on a Sunday morning but as you say , each to their own :okay:

If you have difficulty sleeping then perhaps commuting isn't for you anyway.
I say this based on my own experience. I never sleep well when I know I need to get up early enough to cycle in to work. I guess it's the fear of sleeping in then being late for work.

Top Bottom