I wasn't expecting that!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Slick

Slick

Guru
Bad luck.

But look on the bright side, it probably hadn't been down that long as the road had not been closed and you could have been under it as it fell.
It's an old avenue from an estate house from yesteryear and all the trees are the same age and coming down all the time. I may email my mp.

OP
OP
Slick

Slick

Guru
Bad luck.

But look on the bright side, it probably hadn't been down that long as the road had not been closed and you could have been under it as it fell.
I also suspect, going by the cars that couldn't reverse fast enough coming from the opposite direction that more than one car driver came across it and decided not to bother warning or calling anyone, although obviously that's just an opinion.

tyred

Legendary Member
Get well soon.

I came dangerously close to crashing into a fallen tree one morning years ago whilst driving to work years ago. It hadn't fallen on the road directly but had been kept up a few feet above the road by the hedges. It wasn't quite dark and not quite light and I was driving on dipped lights and didn't spot the tree until I came dangerously close to decapitating myself. I came to a stop with the tree trunk a few feet away from the windscreen pillars.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
View attachment 543952

They wanted to keep me in but I managed to negotiate my release and will go for surgery either tomorrow or over the weekend. Can't wait.

My medical knowledge is close to zero, but I do think some hospital doctors are over keen to admit a patient.

I suppose it's a risk averse business, and if the doctor didn't admit there would be lots of patients who would see that as an earning opportunity through a medical negligence claim.

Seems to me the knee is one of the more complex joints in the human body, so the earlier the (skilled) intervention the better.

Fingers crossed your knifeman (or woman) is skilled at knees.

Chances are he will be.

I reckon NHS surgeons and post operative care cannot be beaten.

When I was in for my hip, I came across two other patients who were in because a private hospital had cocked it up, or lacked the resources and expertise to deal with a complication.

In my case I leaked more than most patients on the table, which meant a blood transfusion.

My surgeon had delayed starting the operation by a few hours to enable a litre of suitable blood to be identified and reserved.

Because of his foresight, I had my transfusion in the 40 minutes or so it took for a courier to get from the blood bank in Newcastle to me in hospital in Durham City.

Fingers crossed your operation will be straightforward, but however it goes I'm sure you will be in the best possible hands.

icowden

Veteran
My medical knowledge is close to zero, but I do think some hospital doctors are over keen to admit a patient.

I suppose it's a risk averse business, and if the doctor didn't admit there would be lots of patients who would see that as an earning opportunity through a medical negligence claim.

Seems to me the knee is one of the more complex joints in the human body, so the earlier the (skilled) intervention the better.

I suspect the desire to keep slick in is due to the fact that he whacked his head as well as his knee and shoulder, so they may be concerned about head injury. I suppose we should now survey @Slick to add to our cycle helmet research...

<ducks and runs for cover>
:popcorn:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I suspect the desire to keep slick in is due to the fact that he whacked his head as well as his knee and shoulder, so they may be concerned about head injury

Could be.

He sounds lucid on here, but we don't know what his presentation was like in hospital.

Doctors can spot signs of injury that may be lost on the rest of us.

OP
OP
Slick

Slick

Guru
I suspect the desire to keep slick in is due to the fact that he whacked his head as well as his knee and shoulder, so they may be concerned about head injury. I suppose we should now survey @Slick to add to our cycle helmet research...

<ducks and runs for cover>
:popcorn:
Yeah, the helmet definitely saved my life.:laugh: I don't venture into that debate and I think I'd rather do the surgery than get involved in it here. :eek:
Could be.

He sounds lucid on here, but we don't know what his presentation was like in hospital.

Doctors can spot signs of injury that may be lost on the rest of us.

I did take a couple of whacks to the cheek, eye socket, nose and top lip but nothing really compared to the leg.

When I first protested about staying in the guy said if there were plenty of bed spaces I could go home but if capacity could be reached, then I would need to stay in. When he made a couple of calls he then said because they couldn't guarantee it would take place the next day, I could go home.

Top Bottom