I wasn't expecting that!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

snorri

Legendary Member
I came dangerously close to crashing into a fallen tree one morning years ago whilst driving to work years ago.
I had the same, twice in one night!
I stopped for the first tree, turned, and had barely got moving when I came to another fallen tree blocking my escape.
It cost me a night in a B&B but provided a new experience as I got a lift in an E Type Jag back to my car the next day:smile:.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I suspect the desire to keep slick in is due to the fact that he whacked his head as well as his knee and shoulder, so they may be concerned about head injury. I suppose we should now survey @Slick to add to our cycle helmet research...

<ducks and runs for cover>
:popcorn:
When I fell over in the kitchen in May and sliced my finger wide open I also headbutted a cupboard door. The doctor was more concerned about my bonce than the blood oozing through the dressing Mrs SJ had put on the finger at what I thought was a rather alarming rate. He kept asking me to follow his finger about with my eyes, despite my protestations that the head felt absolutely fine

One thing that seriously annoyed me - someone who was filling in one of those endless forms that ask you everything about your medical history from year zero rolled his eyes up when I answered yes to "Do you smoke?". The guy himself was obese by a factor of at least three, rather disgraceful for a nurse or whatever he was and far more unhealthy than my half pack a day habit.

vickster

Legendary Member
The guy himself was obese by a factor of at least three, rather disgraceful for a nurse or whatever he was and far more unhealthy than my half pack a day habit.
Not if you’ve had that habit for a long time (and especially if it was more in the past). Smoking is extremely detrimental to every part of your body which you probably know already ;). It’s especially pertinent to know when considering healing and infection risk
(ex smoker here, albeit I didn’t smoke even half a pack a day for 10 years)

anyhow @Slick any news?

OP
OP
Slick

Slick

Guru
Not if you’ve had that habit for a long time (and especially if it was more in the past). Smoking is extremely detrimental to every part of your body which you probably know already ;). It’s especially pertinent to know when considering healing and infection risk
(ex smoker here, albeit I didn’t smoke even half a pack a day for 10 years)

anyhow @Slick any news?
A bit disappointed that I fasted yesterday whilst waiting for word to go back in. I got myself ready and Mrs Slick drove me into work so I could get a few things sorted out in case I wouldn't be around for a while. I called at 3 o'clock as I was starting to wilt with hunger and they were very apologetic about not being in touch sooner but they felt I needed an MRI scan before going for the op so not sure what's changed between Thursday night and Friday. I'm still waiting for a call today as apparently I could get that scan today but I'm starting to doubt that already.

In better news, I can now lift my leg up a bit which I couldn't do before, so I'm hoping that means it's not as bad as first feared.

A bit disappointed that I fasted yesterday whilst waiting for word to go back in. I got myself ready and Mrs Slick drove me into work so I could get a few things sorted out in case I wouldn't be around for a while. I called at 3 o'clock as I was starting to wilt with hunger and they were very apologetic about not being in touch sooner but they felt I needed an MRI scan before going for the op so not sure what's changed between Thursday night and Friday. I'm still waiting for a call today as apparently I could get that scan today but I'm starting to doubt that already.

In better news, I can now lift my leg up a bit which I couldn't do before, so I'm hoping that means it's not as bad as first feared.

I believe it is standard policy for all Xrays to be looked over by a radiographer before a final decision is made on treatment unless it is very obvious! Could be the team is not 100 sure so want a MRI to check.

OP
OP
Slick

Slick

Guru
I believe it is standard policy for all Xrays to be looked over by a radiographer before a final decision is made on treatment unless it is very obvious! Could be the team is not 100 sure so want a MRI to check.
Sounds about right. They did say the line they thought was the rupture was very feint.

OP
OP
Slick

Slick

Guru
Ah well, nearly 3 months of hard work and I finally got my first ride in of any note today. I did my normal 50k route in some pretty tough conditions and couldn't believe how hard it was or how slow I was. :blush:
Important thing is that I'm back on the bike, feeling a bit sore but quite content to finally put this behind me. 👍

Glad to hear you're back on the bike @Slick :okay:

Hope you're completely mended xxx

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Ah well, nearly 3 months of hard work and I finally got my first ride in of any note today. I did my normal 50k route in some pretty tough conditions and couldn't believe how hard it was or how slow I was. :blush:
Important thing is that I'm back on the bike, feeling a bit sore but quite content to finally put this behind me. 👍
:bicycle: :becool:

Colin Grigson

Bass guitarist - Bad News
Well done Slick - first ride back and 50Kms isn’t to be sniffed at :becool:

OP
OP
Slick

Slick

Guru
Well done Slick - first ride back and 50Kms isn’t to be sniffed at :becool:
I'm delighted. A couple of short but not insignificant climbs out the saddle which was a good test. Around 15 to 20k was a bit of a slog into a tough wind and squally showers that had me sheltering under the M77 flyover chittering for a bit, but had to grit my teeth and just go for it. I baled out just a couple of miles short of Fenwick and zig zagged my way home from there. Still feeling a bit sore now but it's a definite start. :okay:

vickster

Legendary Member
Have a good stretch and a nice soak in the bath this evening.
Presumably the surgeon / physio cleared you to cycle? Been using gym bike or turbo to increase Range of motion?

Top Bottom