I'm purchasing a multitool...can you recommend one for me?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
1529504445934.jpg

Will get you home every time .

OP
OP
Spoked Wheels

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
They are doing this one which I quite like....

View attachment 452936

I did like this tool quite a bit, it has a philips and flat head screwdrivers while the Lezyne has only one.... nearly double the weight of the Lezyne too at 196g, the Lezyne seems like it's beter made but also a 1/3 more expensive.

Crank Bros Multi 19 tool has all you want including the 8 and 10 mm spanners.
I've had mine 7 years and use it more often than my standalone tools. Nothings rounded off, bent or broke. It's tougher than John Wayne.

I saw a couple of reviews on YouTube and I'm sold, it has everything I'd need with the exception of a T30 which I can't think of anything that uses T30....maybe I can replace it with something else..... but yes, i'm getting this one :smile:

Thanks everyone for your suggestions :okay:

I've always thought tools were a waste of space in my seatpack. I carry one of these little 1 inch FLAT pliers tools and 3 common allen wrenches. Slip easily and unnoticeable in the small side zipper of my pack. I wouldn't even know it was there. Pliers and screwdrivers, much smaller than a multi tool.

000tool.JPG

fossala

Guru
I've always thought tools were a waste of space in my seatpack. I carry one of these little 1 inch FLAT pliers tools and 3 common allen wrenches. Slip easily and unnoticeable in the small side zipper of my pack. I wouldn't even know it was there. Pliers and screwdrivers, much smaller than a multi tool.

View attachment 453166
Who needs pliers and screwdrivers on a bike though?

Who needs pliers and screwdrivers on a bike though?

So you've never centered a brake caliper via the little screw or had to adjusy V brakes? I've also used the pliers to repair a broken derailleur cable and helped out a guy on a tandem with a soft ride desing who couldn't get the pin out to replace it.

I also have removed a damaged pin from a stranded cyclist' chain. I'v helped plenty of cyclists on the roadside so I'v used pliers more than a few times. Bells use a screwdriver. Go pro mounts use a screwdr, I can think of a few more things if you want me to go on.

Last edited:

fossala

Guru
So you've never centered a brake caliper via the little screw or had to adjusy V brakes? I've also used the pliers to repair a broken derailleur cable and helped out a guy on a tandem with a soft ride desing who couldn't get the pin out to replace it.

I also have removed a damaged pin from a stranded cyclist' chain. I'v helped plenty of cyclists on the roadside so I'v used pliers more than a few times. Bells use a screwdriver. Go pro mounts use a screwdr, I can think of a few more things if you want me to go on.
I can't think of anything that needs screw driver on my bike (My caliper brakes adjust with a small allen key (DA 7800)) and although I've carried my Leatherman TTI while touring I've never had to use the pliers on a bike. Of course YMMV

I can't think of anything that needs screw driver on my bike (My caliper brakes adjust with a small allen key (DA 7800)) and although I've carried my Leatherman TTI while touring I've never had to use the pliers on a bike. Of course YMMV

I've got 7 bikes, Dura ace, ultegra,105, LX, DX, mountain bike, tandem both with V brakes. I can always find a use for a screwdriver. Yeah, my results vary.

Have you never used pliers while building a bike, installing a new derailleur cable, or making a cable adjustment on the roadside for a friend or stranger in trouble?

Last edited:

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
I saw a couple of reviews on YouTube and I'm sold, it has everything I'd need with the exception of a T30 which I can't think of anything that uses T30....maybe I can replace it with something else..... but yes, i'm getting this one :smile:

Thanks everyone for your suggestions :okay:

Yep, the T30 is useless to me also. I think it's there for some disc brake users.
The whole tool is bolted together with 2 Allen bolts so it could be replaced with something else or just removed altogether to make access to other tools a little easier. Some of them can be awkward to get to when folded.

fossala

Guru
I've got 7 bikes, Dura ace, ultegra,105, LX, DX, mountain bike, tandem both with V brakes. I can always find a use for a screwdriver. Yeah, my results vary.

Have you never used pliers while building a bike, installing a new derailleur cable, or making a cable adjustment on the roadside for a friend or stranger in trouble?
Nope, never used pliers. When installing cables I use a barrel adjuster. Push the calipers against the rim, tighten bolt, back off the barrel adjuster. With a derailleur I just pull the cable with my hand, it doesn't need much tension.

I'm not saying there is never a reason to have some, just it's so unlikely. Why not bring along bolt croppers to fix you mudguard stays or maybe a pair of headset spanners and maybe some cone wrenches for your hub. Don't forget a tub of grease!

Top Bottom