I'm purchasing a multitool...can you recommend one for me?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossala

Guru
Like having insurance, isn't it? You never know when you're going to need it. ;)
To an extent.

I go out with a few allen keys, one tyre lever, spare tube, mini pump, instant patches and a spoke key. Anything else I'll stick my thumb out to get to the nearest bike shop (something I've never had to do).

Last edited:

Globalti

Legendary Member
At the risk of sounding cocky or complacent, I know exactly the condition of my brakes, cables, chain, transmission and everything else when I'm out on my bike and I know they are in good enough condition that they are unlikely to let me down. If I have any doubt about them I replace them in the occasional "coat of looking over" that the bike receives. The only thing I can't control is Nerg Nail lying in wait for me so for that I carry a spare tube taped up tight with two tyre levers and a couple of canisters of CO2. If a rock flies up and breaks something or a branch gets between my spokes the damage will probably be enough to disable the bike, in which case I will shoulder it and stick a thumb out. I've only been disabled once in 21 years of exploring mountains by bike and 10 years of road cycling, and that was when I broke a rear spoke by unclipping inwards, the wheel went badly out of true so I commandeered GTIJunior's bike and rode back to fetch the car.

Nope, never used pliers. When installing cables I use a barrel adjuster. Push the calipers against the rim, tighten bolt, back off the barrel adjuster. With a derailleur I just pull the cable with my hand, it doesn't need much tension.

I'm not saying there is never a reason to have some, just it's so unlikely. Why not bring along bolt croppers to fix you mudguard stays or maybe a pair of headset spanners and maybe some cone wrenches for your hub. Don't forget a tub of grease!

So your response only goes to show you were uninformed about the screwdrivers I see! You've already changed your argument about that part of the very small tool. Perhaps someday you will appreciate a tiny set of plierd in an emergency situation as have I and a few others who have borrowed them in a pinch.

fossala

Guru
So your response only goes to show you were uninformed about the screwdrivers I see! You've already changed your argument about that part of the very small tool. Perhaps someday you will appreciate a tiny set of plierd in an emergency situation as have I and a few others who have borrowed them in a pinch.
How do you mean I'm uninformed about screwdrivers?

How do you mean I'm uninformed about screwdrivers?
First part of your argument you said you saw mo need for screwdrivers. I gave you a few. Now you seemed to have avoided that part of your initial response and added in a bunch of silly things like a tub of grease. Why not stick to your original statement instead of tailoring it so that you can add unneedd sarcasm? Seems you were uniformed as to why a cyclist would need screwdrivers. Now you know unkess you can continue to argue that cyclists have no use for them? As you originally stated.

fossala

Guru
First part of your argument you said you saw mo need for screwdrivers. I gave you a few. Now you seemed to have avoided that part of your initial response and added in a bunch of silly things like a tub of grease. Why not stick to your original statement instead of tailoring it so that you can add unneedd sarcasm? Seems you were uniformed as to why a cyclist would need screwdrivers. Now you know unkess you can continue to argue that cyclists have no use for them? As you originally stated.
But you don't need to adjust limit screws unless you damage you rear derailleur/hanger, if that's I'd be packing in the ride anyway. I've never had a cable snap on me like @HLaB describes but I'm meticulous with my bicycle.

Because I failed to repeat myself you have created a story in your head, extrapolated from it and then used it to attack my opinion. :eek:

But you don't need to adjust limit screws unless you damage you rear derailleur/hanger, if that's I'd be packing in the ride anyway. I've never had a cable snap on me like @HLaB describes but I'm meticulous with my bicycle.

Because I failed to repeat myself you have created a story in your head, extrapolated from it and then used it to attack my opinion. :eek:

No, I did not attack your opinion, I corrected it. As posted above another issue, limit screws adjusted with screwdrivers.

You said who needs screwdrivers on a bike?

As in a response to correct your misinformed opinion, you can see there are plenty of reasons cyclists use a screwdriver. Not an attack at all. Now your silly response about carrying a tub of grease among other silly things you mentioned would be considered a sarcastic attack imo. I simply corrected you when you asked why would a cyclist carry a screwdriver.

Also, c'mon, there are plenty of situations where there have been cyclists out there that need limit screws adjusted. I have made many roadside repairs, lent out screwdrivers for that reason on the road. Many times, the local bike shops have made bad adjustments so if a cyclist hits the road and all is not well, I and others have helped them make roadside adjustments, front and rear derailleurs.

Maybe you don't help anyone make adjustments when they are in need, but I have many many many times. Even those who thought they knew what they were doing and made a mess. Some have asked if I know anything about the rear derailleur. Yeah, sure, I have completed readjusted it to the correct position and setting for them.

I don't know, maybe you are a different kind of cyclist? You only ride your bike and never helped others with repairs, call it day if a spoke breaks, the derailleur? I dunno, I've done as much as 7300 miles in a year, 23 centuries in that one year and I have seen plenty of times, one makes a repair on the road and keeps going to complete the ride.

If you only ride your bike when things are all peaches and cream and call it a day if something happens, maybe you haven't experienced all the reasons one might make an adjustment on the road, or use a screwdriver?

The fact you say you only need to adjust your limit screws only if you damage the derailleur is also a misinformed statement and/or opinion. I know plenty of people who have needed adjustments without having damaged the derailleur.

I am not attacking your opinion, I am correcting your misinformed comments.:hello:

fossala

Guru
No, I did not attack your opinion, I corrected it. As posted above another issue, limit screws adjusted with screwdrivers.

You said who needs screwdrivers on a bike?

As in a response to correct your misinformed opinion, you can see there are plenty of reasons cyclists use a screwdriver. Not an attack at all. Now your silly response about carrying a tub of grease among other silly things you mentioned would be considered a sarcastic attack imo. I simply corrected you when you asked why would a cyclist carry a screwdriver.

Also, c'mon, there are plenty of situations where there have been cyclists out there that need limit screws adjusted. I have made many roadside repairs, lent out screwdrivers for that reason on the road. Many times, the local bike shops have made bad adjustments so if a cyclist hits the road and all is not well, I and others have helped them make roadside adjustments, front and rear derailleurs.

Maybe you don't help anyone make adjustments when they are in need, but I have many many many times. Even those who thought they knew what they were doing and made a mess. Some have asked if I know anything about the rear derailleur. Yeah, sure, I have completed readjusted it to the correct position and setting for them.

I don't know, maybe you are a different kind of cyclist? You only ride your bike and never helped others with repairs, call it day if a spoke breaks, the derailleur? I dunno, I've done as much as 7300 miles in a year, 23 centuries in that one year and I have seen plenty of times, one makes a repair on the road and keeps going to complete the ride.

If you only ride your bike when things are all peaches and cream and call it a day if something happens, maybe you haven't experienced all the reasons one might make an adjustment on the road, or use a screwdriver?

The fact you say you only need to adjust your limit screws only if you damage the derailleur is also a misinformed statement and/or opinion. I know plenty of people who have needed adjustments without having damaged the derailleur.

I am not attacking your opinion, I am correcting your misinformed comments.:hello:
I understand we disagree on if they are needed or not, that I'm cool with. Agree to disagree. What's poor on your behalf is claiming I'm misinformed and trying to discredit me by making wild assumption, it's almost like you have to be misleading because you lack the intellect to debate in a graceful manner.

Also if it's a dick swinging contest I do around 8,000miles most years, I do a lot of miles but also maintain my bicycles...

it's almost like you have to be misleading because you lack the intellect to debate in a graceful manner.
Also if it's a dick swinging contest I do around 8,000miles most years, I do a lot of miles but also maintain my bicycles...

I lack the intellect? Well how is this then?

You said who needs a screwdriver?

I gave you several reasons.

Then you responded with this sarcastic no good for nothing comment.

Why not bring along bolt croppers to fix you mudguard stays or maybe a pair of headset spanners and maybe some cone wrenches for your hub. Don't forget a tub of grease!

I'm pretty sure it is you who lacks the intellect to realize who started the graceful debate. Unless you lack the ability to understand your own comments.

But whatever! I have and another have given you plenty of reasons why a cyclist would carry a screwdriver. Now you know!

And again, the fact you say the limit screws only need adjusting after damage is also a misinformed opinion. I am just here to correct the false info posted in forums when I can help.

That is great! I only do 5,000- 7300 per year over the last 23 years as well as building wheels and building my own bicycles.

I'm not experienced enough to have "maintained" them over the last 20, especially without a screwdriver. :wahhey:

fossala

Guru
@MrBeanz
My issue is the baseless attacks.

You only ride your bike and never helped others with repairs
Never met me and if you had you'd know I'd do almost anything to help most people (not only cyclists)
Now you seemed to have avoided that part of your initial response
No, I didn't avoid that part but you choose to attack me based on whatever you made up in your head.

Now your silly response about carrying a tub of grease among other silly things you mentioned would be considered a sarcastic attack imo
My bike I ride everyday is a Bob Jackson vigorelli that I ordered and built with handbuilt wheels by me (see I can build wheels too...)
It has
Dura-ace 7710 Chainset (no screwdriver needed. But I need a chainbolt tool and allen keys,)
Dura-ace 7710 BB (no screwdriver needed. But I need two different bottom bracket tools and a pin spanner)
Dura-ace 7710 Chainring (no screwdriver needed)
Dura-ace 7710 Hubs (no screwdriver needed. Do need three cone spanners to adjust preload and 15mm spanner)
Dura-ace headset (no screwdriver needed. Do need two headset spanners)
KMC k810sl (no screwdriver needed. Do need a chain tool)
DT Swiss comp (no screwdriver needed, need a spoke key)
Open Pro C CD 36h (no screwdriver needed)
Shimano 7402 brakes (no screwdriver needed. Do need allen keys)
Nitto NP stem (no screwdriver needed. Do need allen keys)
Compass parallel bars (no screwdriver needed)
Nitto 83 seatpost (no screwdriver needed, Do need allen keys)
Vittoria g+28mm tyres (no screwdriver needed. Do need tyre levers, pump, spare tube, patches)
Swissstop pads (no screwdriver needed)
Vittoria latex innertubes (no screwdriver needed)
Fizik performance bar tape (no screwdriver needed. Maybe need some electrical tape to fix??)
San Marco Concor Racing saddle (no screwdriver needed. Not checked but presume it takes an allen key to tighten)
Look Carbon keo blade (no screwdriver needed. Do need allen keys)
SKS Mudguards (no screwdriver needed. need a 8mm spanner and bolt croppers)
Dura ace cables/housing (no screwdriver needed, Do need cable cutters)
Bob Jackson Vigorelli frame (no screwdriver needed, seatpost binder bolt is allen key)

So I need a chainbolt tool, allen keys, two bottom bracket tools, a pin spanner, three cone wrenches, 15mm spanner, two headset spanners, chain tool, spoke key, tyre levers, pump, spare tube, patches, electrical tape, 8mm spanner, bolt croppers, cable cutters and possibly lube and grease before I need a screwdriver.

@MrBeanz

So I need a chainbolt tool, allen keys, two bottom bracket tools, a pin spanner, three cone wrenches, 15mm spanner, two headset spanners, chain tool, spoke key, tyre levers, pump, spare tube, patches, electrical tape, 8mm spanner, bolt croppers, cable cutters and possibly lube and grease before I need a screwdriver.

You must be a lousy mechanic if you need to carry all those on the bike before a screwdriver! :laugh:

Top Bottom