I'm purchasing a multitool...can you recommend one for me?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I still have one of these -

View attachment 453309
The iconic Cool Tool.
I’ve got one of those somewhere,

I’ve also got one of these.

A03811CD-A1C4-43DA-A9B8-2A96A3AF8E3C.jpeg

OP
OP
Spoked Wheels

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
Crank Bros Multi 19 tool has all you want including the 8 and 10 mm spanners.
I've had mine 7 years and use it more often than my standalone tools. Nothings rounded off, bent or broke. It's tougher than John Wayne.

The Crankbrothers multi tool arrived and I'm very pleased with it, as you said, it has all the tools I want to carry with me... 8mm and 10mm spanners are back with the other tools now. The one thing I wasn't impressed with and won't be using is the metal protective case....

Thank you to everyone who suggested this and other tools.

OP
OP
Spoked Wheels

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
I've added a pocket knife to my multitool

SAK_1_4723__S1.jpg

That little multi purpose hook came very handy last Saturday, my mate got a puncture and I was able to grab the chain with that hook, avoiding getting my hands too dirty :smile:.... and I had thought the hook was the tool I'd never use lol

freiston

Veteran
I used to carry a tool roll with "proper tools" but now I have reduced my default on-the-bike tool kit to fit in a small under-seat saddlebag in which I have a Park Tool MTB-7
MTB-7_002.jpg

The spanners on it lock open
I also have a couple of tubes, a small self-adhesive patch kit, a Park Tool CT-5 mini chain tool and a few spare bits - nuts/bolts/cable ties/inner cables. I also carry in my pocket (or bar-bag or rack-pack), my little Leatherman Juice Pro, which I tend to have with me off the bike too. I'm not a lightweight road-bike type and I don't wear the figure-hugging lycra stuff - so I'm not too bothered about minimalism.

Last edited:

Sharky

Guru
I think this complement the tools I carry with me.... I would have liked one with an 8 and 10mm open spanners too but this will do UNLESS someone knows of a better one.

Are you aware that you can get away with using a couple of allen keys together to make a larger size. Two 5mm ones together can be used for a 10mm etc. And a 3mm + 5mm would do for an 8mm socket.

OP
OP
Spoked Wheels

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
Are you aware that you can get away with using a couple of allen keys together to make a larger size. Two 5mm ones together can be used for a 10mm etc. And a 3mm + 5mm would do for an 8mm socket.
No, I wasn't and I find that very interesting.... I shall try it out :smile:

Thank you for that :okay:

Jody

Stubborn git
The one thing I wasn't impressed with and won't be using is the metal protective case.....

Mine came with a big rubber band. I did away with it...waste of time.

Mine came without a metal case which looks quite snazzy and instead had the rubber band. I find the band handy when using it to keep the other tools in check.

Great tool though. Although I'll have to keep an eye on the rust side of things

Top Bottom