Impending moments of Doom - not too serious please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
So what moments can you share (nothing too serious).

This morning, on the way to work, saw some 'stuff' stuck to the outer edges of the tyre/sidewall. Noticed it was either side and was slowly starting to come away. Dog poop.... argh.

Even taking to the damp grass didn't shift it. Carried on riding, going round corners didn't move it. Revolution by revolution it looked like it might detach. Argh.

Got to work, dropped the panniers off, and there I was dragging the front wheel along the tarmac to get the stuff off. Blurgh.

Last edited:

a.twiddler

Veteran
There is a long downhill not too far from me that I used to use to test the brakes when I acquired my first recumbent bike. It was a LWB model, with the weight distribution biased to the rear wheel and therefore the main braking force too. The rear brake was, frankly, pretty feeble but, I thought, as I am well acquainted with the concept of conservation of momentum, It was bearable while I got used to the bike. It worked well enough at lower speeds. However, one day I thought I'd see what it could do down this hill since I was beginning to go farther afield and wanted to see how effective the braking actually was before I put any luggage on it. Hence I unexpectedly found myself pushing 40mph despite heaving on the rear brake lever with the veins standing out on my forehead as I approached the bottom with a school, a church, and a couple of side roads rushing towards me. Fortunately I did slow down, and nobody came out of the junctions or the village buildings. I'd seriously underestimated the way that a recumbent bike can pick up speed rapidly downhill.

From that day on, I came to call that hill The Test Hill of Doom. Over a period of time I dismantled and greased the brake, shortened and re routed the cable, tried different brake pads with some success but it wasn't until I fitted an old school double pivot BMX brake that I really transformed the braking. Nowadays that hill holds no fears for me but I'll never forget that buttock clenching experience on the Test Hill of Doom.

All uphill

Still rolling along
I took my old Marin out of the car for a ride, put the front wheel back on and straightened the handlebars while talking with my friend.

We pedalled off on the busy road and turned right onto a country lane. Well, my friend turned right, and my handlebars turned right, but the fork and wheel of my bike didn't.

Panic dismount, sprint across the road and tighten the quill stem. The whole episode took less than 30 seconds, but it could have been nasty. Now I do a little check before starting any ride - brakes, steering, tyres.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
In 2020 we were invited to attend track sessions at Newcastle-under-Lyme as they, and British Cycling, worked out how to train and race in a COVID era.

After a few training sessions - we joined in as they went from 4 to 6 riders - then 10/16/20, as the weeks progressed, test racing began. All with detailed checks plus being overseen by BC. All good. And brilliantly co-ordinated/managed.

Cue race 2 of the first night. I'm on my previous Raleigh Equipe track bike but with 40 year-old Durex tub wheels for some reason I can't remember.

It's the Elimination race and I'm comfortable mid-pack at speed. But ... I hit the big bump on Newcastle's track and there's a massive 'CRACK' from behind as I land and everything goes very wobbly.

Somehow I shout, get my arm up and there's no crash - it turns out the rear axle snapped as I landed.

CXRAndy

Guru
Quite a few years back, I came down the main road next to Caldwell park, I was carrying far too much speed. Discovered that under the trees the road was still wet. Squeaky bum moment trying to feather the brakes and not skid whilst cornering. Made all the worse by a long line of vehicles coming up the road at the same time

a.twiddler

Veteran
Another scary experience from my younger days. First, the factors that later combined to give me my Impending Moment of Doom experience.

1) I worked as a workshop technician in a technical college and had got one of the welding apprentices to make up a single wheel trailer frame from scrap tubing. After some experimentation I got it to work with my lightweight bike, though it weighed more than my bike before I fixed anything to it.

2) I'd also acquired a Shimano roller dynamo which had some shortcomings when fixed to the bottom bracket, such as slipping in the wet. I had the wizard wheeze of attaching it to my Karrimor front carrier so it pressed down on the top of the front tyre. Result, no slippage. However, when it rained, an elegant curl of spray came back and accurately soaked my glasses. I bent up some aluminium sheet to make a mini mudguard. It looked odd, but it worked well. It was a vast improvement on the awful battery lights of that era. The weight in front of the steering axis probably wasn't a Good Idea, but caused no problems in normal use.

So, I attended my cycling club camping weekend in mid Wales. I got well oiled with some of my clubmates, and retired to my tent. I was having long distance relationship issues at the time, and couldn't settle. At 2 am I had the bright idea of riding home in the dark. It was a nice Summer's night, it wasn't cold, and I felt like giving the lights a good try out. So I loaded up the trailer, got on the bike and went. Foolhardy? Or just fearless. I would have to think hard about doing that sort of thing nowadays, three or four hours riding on my own in the dark. Still, it was Wales in the 1980s, nobody about. I pedalled steadily, being careful about speed down hills, as the tail very much wanted to wag the dog if the speed rose too much.

The only notable incident was that a car overtook me then stopped. Was I about to get mugged? Nope. They were making an early start to their summer holiday, and were lost. I was able to give them directions, and they turned round and sped off into the darkness.

About 40 minutes from home it started drizzling. No problem, it was warm, though my top soon became wet. As I was rolling down a long hill in the dark, the front light flickered and went out. I had a feeling that the dynamo fitting might need retightening as occasionally it had loosened in the past. I reached out and put my hand on it. A mistake, as immediately I got a hefty jolt up my wet arm and fortunately didn't fall off. My other hand came off the brakes as I concentrated on trying to keep control, as the trailer joined in the fun and I fishtailed down the hill in the blackness trying to keep off the verge which I could dimly see in my peripheral vision. Early on a Welsh Sunday morning, nobody would be around for hours. I had a fleeting image of my battered corpse being found by the roadside, after the crows had had their fill. I was trying to gently use the rear brake while all this was going on and just as I thought I was going to be thrown off everything calmed down as if nothing had happened. I came to a halt pretty shaken up. I fumbled for my torch and an allen key and tightened up the dynamo. I spun the front wheel and the lights worked. I checked the trailer and all the fittings were tight, and the tyre pressures were OK.

What could I do but carry on, carefully. I got home without any further incidents and though I used the trailer around town I didn't use it for any longer trips after that. I'd planned to make shorter, lighter version but somehow never got around to it as my panniers were more handy.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
There's a bit of downhill tarmac in Hamtunshire called, officially, Teeton Lane but known to us as Bob'nGarry Hill. A few winters ago, with snow & ice abounding, several mates and I were out for a ride.
I'd stopped at the top to check on my phone if a nearby café was open.
By the time I'd ridden/slithered down the hill, Bob & Garry were in a heap but relatively unscathed (bikes were OK 👌)

Bob got pole position in the renaming as he had bigger bruises than Garry 😂

Jameshow

Veteran
Rode down Poole bank on CX bike with no brakes having pulled it out of the car. Only my touring shoes saved the day.
Had I been on racing shoes friction would have been much less and I'd have been toast at the lights.

Last edited:

icowden

Veteran
There's a nice gentlish downhill from the high street back to my house. I was sent out on Sunday in the blistering heat to do some errands.
On the way back, I took my usual zoom down the hill, got up to about 20mph (fast for me). Of course what I *forgot* is that currently at the end of that hill, just past the co-op, the road surface is loosely based on the surface of the moon. Also I discovered very quickly through the sweat running into my eyes that a new (to me) collection of not insignificant potholes had opened up in the morass of repairs on repairs. It was too late for braking but my 50/50 decision to swerve right and not left turned out to be the correct one and I managed to run the gauntlet without falling off or getting run over / knocked off by the car behind me.

My hair was raised and my adrenaline certainly kicked in!

Windle

Über Member
Many years ago (late 80's) I was out on a solo run round the top end of the North York Moors, having just passed through Westerdale, back up onto the moors and was descending northwards down towards Hob Hole beck (at around forty miles an hour) to be suddenly greeted by a frolicking spring lamb darting out into the road up ahead of me..... I panic braked, locked up the back wheel and almost browned my shorts! Proper everything goes into slow motion moment, luckily it must have seen the terrified cyclist slithering down the hill and did an immediate ewe-turn (:rolleyes:) and shot back into the grass. I thought I had got off scot free until I heard a strange flapping sound from behind, turned out I'd ripped a couple of inches of tread off the carcass of my nearly new Hutchinson folding tyre! I think I glued it back on with rubber cement until I got home whereupon it was superglued and had a full & long life afterwards, probably longer than the woolly kebab from Westerdale.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Recently as described in this thread. My big actual crashes (three in total, two car vs me and one dropped chain while giving it maximum beans) were too quick to know much about.

Mind you, I've got my yearly appraisal in 10 minutes..... 😬

Tenkaykev

Guru
Walking the SWCP in 2007 solo. Following the path and it starts to get a bit treacherous but I persevere, sliding over rocks on my bum as it gets even steeper. Get to a place and realise that the route couldn't possibly be meant to be this dangerous. I turn back, as I scrambled back up the rocks I realise how precarious my posotion was. Get back to safer ground and start retracing my steps across a field. As I look back the way that I've just come I see a big sign saying something to the effect : " Danger Landslip - Path Closed " with an arrow pointing to an alternate route. I'd walked right past it and didn't notice!

presta

Guru
So what moments can you share (nothing too serious).

This morning, on the way to work, saw some 'stuff' stuck to the outer edges of the tyre/sidewall. Noticed it was either side and was slowly starting to come away. Dog poop.... argh.

Even taking to the damp grass didn't shift it. Carried on riding, going round corners didn't move it. Revolution by revolution it looked like it might detach. Argh.

Got to work, dropped the panniers off, and there I was dragging the front wheel along the tarmac to get the stuff off. Blurgh.

I picked up a barker's egg at Clun once, but didn't notice until it had got smeared all round the inside of the rear mudguard.

Then there was the one I trod in when I stopped for a pee at Herne Bay, I didn't notice that one until I got back on the bike and trod it into the pedal. As if that wasn't bad enough, I'd also brushed the pannier as I swung my leg over and smeared it over the lid straps. I cycled the remaining 80 miles home with the thought that if the weather turned cold I'd have to paw the straps to get my warm clothing out, then eat the rest of my sandwiches with sh!tty fingers.

Fortunately that proved to be the tour when I rode the whole 10 days in T shirt and shorts.

Top Bottom