Inconsistencies or plot holes in films

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
That was one of my favourite Science fiction series as a teenager.

Read it (James Blish: Cities in Flight) fairly recently and unlike a lot of classic era sci fi it is well written and stands up pretty well.

By contrast I did try and re-read Foundation a while back. Cripes the writing is awful, even if the premise is quite interesting. I thought it brilliant when I was about 12 but I guess I was not then the literary sophisticate like wot I am now

Last edited:

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
Does anyone else pick up fantasy films for their inaccurate science? I mean I find myself getting angry about how something is totally inaccurate according to newtonian physics while they're floating on a dystopia city held up by loads of balloons and airships in a totally impossible way. It's that just me or does anyone else do it?

No, not really. They're fantasy so science goes out the window. As a geology graduate, I enjoyed Jules Verne's Journey to the Centre of the Earth, its a Victorian style fantasy adventure. I enjoyed The Core (2003) which is the same - an impossible voyage. But that movie to me is a homage to the cheesy old SF disaster flicks of yesteryear...'Crack in the World' often pops up on cable. But everyone attacks The Core because of its dodgy science. Eh?...its impossible anyway, so to expect the 'science' to add up is silly. I always treat such films as B movie fun shenanigans where you need to suspend disbelief. One of my all time faves is Fantastic Voyage and you need to buy into miniaturisation for that one to work.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Captain Kirk was an utter knob and Star Fleet would never have put him in command of so much as a space canoe.

(But Star Trek would have been rubbish without him. As was proved by all subsequent series)

captain nemo1701

Captain Kirk was an utter knob and Star Fleet would never have put him in command of so much as a space canoe.

(But Star Trek would have been rubbish without him. As was proved by all subsequent series)

He's based on Horatio Hornblower and wasn't the original choice - that was Jeffrey Hunter as Chris Pike. What makes him a knob anyway?...bit of a sweeping generalisation. Plus Picard, Janeway, Sisko & Archer are all very different and frankly, the subsequent shows sometimes outshine the original. You should watch Star Trek: Strange New Worlds as its basically the Christopher Pike years and he's probably the best captain of them all so far (SPOLIER ALERT: There is a young Kirk cropping up in it, not captain yet). Plus, you've got to take into account that some of them are in different centuries with different social attitudes.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
They keep busting Mad Murdoch out of the loony bin...you'd think the authorities would be wise to a black van turning up each week..... :laugh:

As mentioned a couple of months ago.

Not a film, but the A team.
They are supposed to be operating incognito and avoiding law enforcement. Yet they always drive around in a big black truck with a red stripe down the side.
Surely a basic white van would be more sensible to avoid attracting unnecessary attention.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
. What makes him[Capt Kirk] a knob anyway?..

Where do I start. Reckless, couldn't keep it in his pants, repeatedly endangered the ship, constantly monkeying round with the prime directive. He was just unsuited to command. And he was brilliant.

The bloke who played Pike in the pilot wasn't even wooden. He was MDF. If he'd stayed the show would either have flopped or never been made.

the subsequent shows sometimes outshine the original.

No they don't. They're all rubbish in comparison. No exceptions. I'm right on this point and everyone else is wrong.

Beside great god Shatner they are but puny insects.

Last edited:

captain nemo1701

Where do I start. Reckless, couldn't keep it in his pants, repeatedly endangered the ship, constantly monkeying round with the prime directive. He was just unsuited to command. And he was brilliant.

The bloke who played Pike in the pilot wasn't even wooden. He was MDF. If he'd stayed the show would either have flopped or never been made.

No they don't. They're all rubbish in comparison. No exceptions. I'm right on this point and everyone else is wrong.

You should knock on doors promoting belief in magic sky spirits because they're always right as well :laugh:

The bit in bold i actually read with that stuttering "acting style" of shatner where you put the emphasis in strange places. You see I can't act neither! But I can at least "sing" as well as Shatner. :laugh:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
The bit in bold i actually read with that stuttering "acting style" of shatner where you put the emphasis in strange places. You see I can't act neither! But I can at least "sing" as well as Shatner. :laugh:

Beside the ... great god ... Shatner they ... Are but puny ... Insects.

Did you hear his version of Common People? If not you must. He is a genius.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
Top Bottom