Insurance premiums for young drivers.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
My grand son passed his driving test first time this morning at the age of 17 and a half. When he called his insurance provider, he was told his premium is now £276 per month !:cursing:
He has a 2016 Ford fiesta with a 1litre engine. I think this is ridiculous to punish young drivers like that. My opinion is to give them a chance to prove they are going to be sensible, but if they drive like idiots and crash through their own fault, then ok, charge them high premiums.
I know he could have a black box fitted that would reduce his premiums by £800 a year but he refuses to do it despite every body advising him to have one.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
The problem is partly down to the car; yes a Fiesta's got a small engine but lots of young drivers have them. And they are involved in more accidents than average. As a result the insurance cost of that vehicle gets raised.

I've a 1.6 petrol Peugeot Tepee; it's very low cost compared to most, with only a 2004-2011 Fiat Panda being cheaper for a 17 year-old when I checked for my eldest.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
His choice not to help himself so no sympathy there. He clearly has more money than sense.

As for giving them a chance and if they then crash make them pay more that is a bit like shutting the gate after the horse has bolted. Any crash could cost thousands and if others are Involved and hurt then tens of thousands.

Statistics show that young drivers have a very high percentage of accidents, that's why Insurance companies hammer them with big premiums. They have to prove themselves first before they can expect any reward at all.

Drago

Legendary Member
He pays half as much again in one month as I pay in a year for a 2.25 tonne group 40 SUV.

Try him on lower risk A segment stuff, like the c1/107 etc. The Fiesta of that generation prior to security updates in 2019 is quite stealable, so it's not too surprising hes getting a bit of a reaming.

I agree with @welsh dragon , apart from one point, if he caused an accident and someone suffered life changing injuries , it could cost millions not thousands, no sympathy for someone who refuses to help themselves , out of interest what is his reason for refusing a black box, unless he intends to drive like a nob ed I cant see why he would refuse help to lower his premiums.

OP
OP
gavroche

gavroche

I don't think he will drive like a nob as he is fanatical about his car. He keeps it religiously clean, inside and out but he is also very stubborn and set in his way. He feels that big brother will be watching over him with a black box.

welsh dragon

As roadrash says that is the whole point of a black box. It ensures that you drive properly .

My youngest twin grandsons are 17. One has a prov license and rides a motorbike, the other passed his test and has a Citroen 1 litre older car. He has a black box fitted and it has reduced his premium for his first year to £1000. Having the black box makes sure he drives properly and he is always aware of speed limits etc. It is a good way to install awareness of braking, speed limits etc.

OP
OP
gavroche

gavroche

As roadrash says that is the whole point of a black box. It ensures that you drive properly .

My youngest twin grandsons are 17. One has a prov license and rides a motorbike, the other passed his test and has a Citroen 1 litre older car. He has a black box fitted and it has reduced his premium for his first year to £1000. Having the black box makes sure he drives properly and he is always aware of speed limits etc. It is a good way to install awareness of braking, speed limits etc.
I agree with you all but you try and convince him.

Drago

Legendary Member
My neighbours son had a black box. After having his licence a few months the insurers rang him and informed him the were cancelling the policy with immediate effect as theyd recorded him doing over 60 in a 30 zone. He struggled very badly to get any insurance at any price after that.

Black boxes are fine if you're going to behave. Extract the wee and they'll use it to crucify you.

welsh dragon

My neighbours son had a black box. After having his licence a few months the insurers rang him and informed him the were cancelling the policy with immediate effect as theyd recorded him doing over 60 in a 30 zone. He struggled very badly to get any insurance at any price after that.

Black boxes are fine if you're going to behave. Extract the wee and they'll use it to crucify you.

Quite right to.

Top Bottom