IoW - turbo boys ride out

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bobinski

Legendary Member
Not sure where to post this but my bad luck goes from bad to worse :angry:

Dropped bike in to lbs coz something seemed wrong. Well, turns out right drop out fecked by slightly loose qr allowing axle play which has gouged the dropout. So, wheel no longer sits straight and not resolvable with a shim or similar. Either happened during my off the other day or a few days later when another shop checked the disc pads for me while changing bar tape. It is possible they didn't tighten skewer enough and damage done during my 60 miler following day.
Anyway, cannot take bike to Ventoux and need to get Giant to check frame to see if falls under warranty and if not if they will sell me a cheap replacement. Gutted. Almost tempted to buy a new bike coz that will take weeks perhaps months. Have a kinesis pro6, a bit too big, a bike I genuinely dislike. An hour on its unforgiving frame even with 32mm tyres and its long wheelbase is just no fun. So, kinesis pro6 or new bike? I keep telling myself that when Giant replace frame I can always transfer parts over from old bike and possibly even sell it. Very very frustrating...

berty bassett

Legendary Member
Hells bells Bob ! that must be your 3 in a row by now !
if it was me and i still loved biking then i would get a new one or second hand one - sell the one i dislike what would go towards it and then see what happens with broken one
theres a wilier gtr sitting here you could borrow if you needed but you would have to come up here to get it - set up for short legged 5'8

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
Not sure where to post this but my bad luck goes from bad to worse :angry:

Dropped bike in to lbs coz something seemed wrong. Well, turns out right drop out fecked by slightly loose qr allowing axle play which has gouged the dropout. So, wheel no longer sits straight and not resolvable with a shim or similar. Either happened during my off the other day or a few days later when another shop checked the disc pads for me while changing bar tape. It is possible they didn't tighten skewer enough and damage done during my 60 miler following day.
Anyway, cannot take bike to Ventoux and need to get Giant to check frame to see if falls under warranty and if not if they will sell me a cheap replacement. Gutted. Almost tempted to buy a new bike coz that will take weeks perhaps months. Have a kinesis pro6, a bit too big, a bike I genuinely dislike. An hour on its unforgiving frame even with 32mm tyres and its long wheelbase is just no fun. So, kinesis pro6 or new bike? I keep telling myself that when Giant replace frame I can always transfer parts over from old bike and possibly even sell it. Very very frustrating...

Mate that is $hit luck...

Have you looked for places that hire bikes?

I'd say sell the kinesis anyway in the long term. What's the point in having a bike you dread riding? Even if it only does turbo duties (?).

Ideally next year you have 2 new bikes. But if you want to buy new and shiny then it's better to wait for the sales nearer then end of the summer.

Breedon

Legendary Member
Bloody hell bob I would be chucking the thing around the garden.
What I would do is same as Lee sell the bike you find uncomfortable on no point in having a bike that you really don't like/ride and get a new bike that fits you like a glove.

Same as Lee if you really need a bike for vonteux I have a couple of carbons if you need to borrow one size medium.

OP
OP
kipster

kipster

Guru
Some discounts are starting to come through as the new bikes appear at TDF. I know specialized are looking to sell stock, their concept stores seem happy to do deals.

What size bike do you need? Someone here might have one you could borrow.

berty bassett

Legendary Member
if all else fails Tommy has a cheap black number i am sure you could have ^_^;)

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
Some discounts are starting to come through as the new bikes appear at TDF. I know specialized are looking to sell stock, their concept stores seem happy to do deals.

What size bike do you need? Someone here might have one you could borrow.

Bob's got a defy so I guess the spesh equivalent is a roubaux. Kinda fugly in my opinion although obviously that's subjective. Candidate synapse is also in the same bracket I guess and winstanley cycles always seem to have deals on.

Me I wouldn't rush into anything. This seems like the perfect excuse to take your time and get something a bit special.

If I was betting on it I'd say giant offer a discount rather than replacement as this is user error rather than frame failure. I'd use that discount to get a winter / turbo bike later down the road. Tell the missus the kineses is going, and use the potential store credit to help getting something a bit sexy / dream bike.

Turn a negative into a positive :thumbsup:

bobinski

Legendary Member
Ta for all the replies guys and generous offers. Bikes are being collected for transport to France tomorrow so very time oressured! I am stripping the Kinesis and sticking my nice wheels on with scwhalbe pro ones to see if it makes a difference. It's 105 with 3rd party hydraulics so ok just wooden to ride. I will know by 2pm how it feels and then may be rushing off to buy a new Giant defy advanced pro 1. Shop say they will set up to my retul fit and pop the Ones on too. No di2- too Spendy.
Googling suggests a known issue so some way down line should get a replacement or discounted frame.
Kinesis was going to stay on turbo once I got a new bike anyway.

Oh, replacement NEO turned up yesterday but obviously no time to set it up and use it :angry:

Top Bottom