Is my new MTB too big?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

superdon

Regular
So, I picked up an 18 inch Voodoo Bizango yesterday. I couldn't try it before I bought it for various reasons, including the fact they didn't have one in stock at the shop. According to the size guide it should be ok, I am 5 ft 8 and have around 30 inch inside leg without shoes.

Anyway, I carefully got it home and have had a sit on it. I haven't ridden it as I wanted to be sure it was ok and be able to easily return it if it wasn't right.

Anyway. My concern is...I can straddle the bike and have both felt flat on the floor. But, the bar is touching my crotch. It's not uncomfortably touching.

I probably need to actually try riding it, but like I say I want to keep it in perfect nick in case I have to swap it.

The other issue is, they don't do the Bizango any smaller. They do the Bantu(cheaper) or Hoodoo in 16 inch. Either way I have to get the replacement from halfords.

Cheers

It's going to be on the edge I'd say. I'm a similar height and ride a smaller frame but I could ride a larger frame but simply felt better on the smaller one. The larger one also required me to lean a bit to the side as I stopped. The problem is the need for the top tube to rise quite steeply on a 29er. If you foul the top tube when you dismount, then ask yourself how much will it hurt if I need to dismount in an unplanned way. If the answer is, it will, it's too big.

Last edited:

ScotiaLass

Guru
Agree with Crackle.
I had issues with the first 29er MTB which was a unisex frame (Fuji). It felt wrong and cramped and I couldn't straddle it without hitting myself...it went back and I finally got a ladies specific frame (17 inch) which was way better!
I got that bike from my LBS who were brilliant, whereas the first one was from a chain who really couldn't care less if it fitted or not (Oh it'll be okay, it should fit....etc)
I'm (almost!) 5' 7''

vickster

Legendary Member
So, I picked up an 18 inch Voodoo Bizango yesterday. I couldn't try it before I bought it for various reasons, including the fact they didn't have one in stock at the shop. According to the size guide it should be ok, I am 5 ft 8 and have around 30 inch inside leg without shoes.

Anyway, I carefully got it home and have had a sit on it. I haven't ridden it as I wanted to be sure it was ok and be able to easily return it if it wasn't right.

Anyway. My concern is...I can straddle the bike and have both felt flat on the floor. But, the bar is touching my crotch. It's not uncomfortably touching.

I probably need to actually try riding it, but like I say I want to keep it in perfect nick in case I have to swap it.

The other issue is, they don't do the Bizango any smaller. They do the Bantu(cheaper) or Hoodoo in 16 inch. Either way I have to get the replacement from halfords.

Cheers
Is it a 26" or 29er? Are you riding hard core off road? Maybe if not something like a solid hybrid like the carrera subway or crossfire worth considering

OP
OP
S

superdon

Regular
It's a 29er. I have sat up on the bike and it feels ok. Still not actually rode it yet though. I definitely touch the bar when standing with both feet on the floor and it doesn't feel great.

Shame because I got a good deal on this and it looks like a good bit of kit.

I wouldn't say I am going to be hard core off roading, but I would like to give things a try. I did think about a hybrid but have decided MTB is the better route for me. Unfortunately it doesn't leave me too many options with Halfords though. I am thinking of going the Bantu direction. It will save me near on £100 which will help with the other bits I need. I can then always upgrade in the future if I get into it enough.

Unless anyone can come up with a better Halfords option?

The one that gets consistently good reviews is the Voodoo Hoodoo.

In terms of sizing, most people, if they have a choice, go smaller with a mtn bike, as it allows you to lever and manual the bike easier off road but for dual use you might want to compromise that a bit for a bigger frame on road. It's a tricky conundrum which is why most of us have more than one bike.

OP
OP
S

superdon

Regular
Here's some pics of me on the bike. Not ideal that I am wearing baggy joggers but I am recovering from an operation and need baggy stuff.

bike1.jpg
bike2.jpg
bike3.jpg

That mostly looks OK. You've got space immediately in front of the seat. The question is how much is touching at the front. Certainly I touch the cross bar on mine but only touch. Looking at those pics, I'd say you could move the seat back on it's rails (knee through centre spindle of pedal with a plumbline) and that would give you more standover room.

Turn the forks the right way round might help.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
To the Op on closer examination I think the smaller size would of been best but you are probably border line. I ride an 18inch and I'm approx 6ft

OP
OP
S

superdon

Regular
That mostly looks OK. You've got space immediately in front of the seat. The question is how much is touching at the front. Certainly I touch the cross bar on mine but only touch. Looking at those pics, I'd say you could move the seat back on it's rails (knee through centre spindle of pedal with a plumbline) and that would give you more standover room.

As it is, I would say it's more rubbing that touch if that makes sense. So a bit more than touching :smile:
Ok, so move the saddle backwards, that makes sense. It's still not going to give me 1inch or more clearance though is it?

Ah yes. I just quickly set it up for the photos, missed that! Would that actually make a difference to standover height though? To be fair halfords didn't set up the handlebars so I could transport home easier. So, I just quickly turned them for the photos. All my fault

Cubist

Still wavin'
Here's some pics of me on the bike. Not ideal that I am wearing baggy joggers but I am recovering from an operation and need baggy stuff.

bike1.jpg
bike2.jpg
bike3.jpg

superdon , if Halfords built that bike for you, take it back immediately and make an real fuss. The fork is indeed on the wrong way round. The support arch should be at the front, and the brake caliper behind the fork leg.

Edit: yes, it will make a bit of difference to the rake at the front and it will stretch what looks like a bizarre wheelbase.

As it is, I would say it's more rubbing that touch if that makes sense. So a bit more than touching :smile:
Ok, so move the saddle backwards, that makes sense. It's still not going to give me 1inch or more clearance though is it?

t
Your call, I stand by my original advice about an unplanned dismount and whether you'd bollock yourself. I reckon you'd be fine on a road bike or for road use but you tend to not have the luxury of controlled stops off road on mtn bikes sometimes.

Top Bottom