Is my new MTB too big?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
S

superdon

Regular
Now that looks a lot better ... remember your danglies will touch the cross bar a bit, as you're not wearing cycling shorts (which will tuck them up a lot) arm length looks fine and a slight arch in your back ..looks to be a good fit really ... now the test comes when you have to get out to ride it :smile:

Will give it a try with less baggy bottoms and some tight boxers :smile:

That looks a lot better.

Thanks

I've test-ridden bikes at Halfrauds before; they have allowed me to whizz around behind the shop with an assistant watching. Even if you just rode it down the road, there wouldn't be a problem if you took it back still wrapped like that - they aren't that clever!

That upright riding position and fat tyres are going to make the bike painfully slow though - why not take it back and get a road bike?

Once I am happy it's ok, next step is to give it a test ride. I popped into Halfords today and explained the issue. They promised me they would still refund me on the bike, so long as it's still in the packing (which it is) and doesn't look used. I think I can get away with a quick ride in the dry.

It looks very short in the top tube. Youve got shortish legs, short torso and long arms. A difficult set of parameters to fit on a bike. You definitely need a longer stem. Possibly a larger frame.

Mmmm...first opinion that it might be too small. Confused. Surely a larger frame would cause negative standover? Can you explain your thoughts a bit more please, bearing in mind I am a newbie :smile:

Right I've just checked my own bike and I have a similar clearance. I thought I had more but in fact it's pretty much the same and i manage just fine. I'll upload a pic in a minute when my phone has finished delivering it.

Mickle might be right about the stem, 29ers tend to have a higher bar position because of the extra wheel height, tyre clearance and in your case, 120mm forks. So unless the head height has been reduced the bars come up and it all looks shorter and is a bit shorter. it's a conundrum I'm currently solving on mine. I left a lot of stack height on my build and it's all come off now as the I've put the bars lower.

Personally i reckon your standover height is fine and personally I don't think it's too small, it just gives that illusion because of the 29er geometry. Mickle may be able to give you a bit more input on his observations there, he's pretty experienced.

Cheers, that pic would be helpful.

NormanD

Lunatic Asylum Escapee
Get yourself some bib shorts, you'll never look back :thumbsup:

2014-04-09%252018.46.50.jpg

A gentle nut cupping....I may go back out...

This is a perfect example of where fashion, in the name of 'technological advancement' delivers more problems than it solves. So called 29" wheels give a performance advantage because they roll easier over trail imperfections. They also raise the height of the crown race. Look how short they've had to make the head tube to get the bars where they need to be. This 18" frame has a ridiculously angled top tube which means that our friend cant actually stand over it. This is the exact opposite of what this riders body shape demands.

My best advice is to take it back to the 'bike shop' and exchange it for a bike with 26" inch wheels. A low and long frame of the kind made by Canadian manufacturers will suit you best. Kona, Voodoo ...

Shadowfax

Look on the bright side guys its a sloping tube lets just hope you slide down and not up ! Otherwise I'd be putting some padding on that headstock.

Yipes.

OP
OP
S

superdon

Regular
I know we all have different opinions on things, but the opinions seem totally polarised on this. Some say it looks a good overall fit, others say it's totally wrong. Unfortunately I am stuck with halfords so my options are limited....

DavidD

I am 5'8 with a 29 inch inside leg and I ride a medium size carrera kraken bought from Halfords. Not a lot of stand over height but I have managed fine with it including doing a black run on it (unintentionally). My height and inside leg would suggest I ride a small frame but just don't like small bikes.

Globalti

Legendary Member
This is a perfect example of where fashion, in the name of 'technological advancement' delivers more problems than it solves. So called 29" wheels give a performance advantage because they roll easier over trail imperfections. They also raise the height of the crown race. Look how short they've had to make the head tube to get the bars where they need to be. This 18" frame has a ridiculously angled top tube which means that our friend cant actually stand over it. This is the exact opposite of what this riders body shape demands.

My best advice is to take it back to the 'bike shop' and exchange it for a bike with 26" inch wheels. A low and long frame of the kind made by Canadian manufacturers will suit you best. Kona, Voodoo ...

The other effect of the crazily short head tube is that the steerer and forks are not well braced against fore and aft stresses from the huge leverage exerted by those long forks so when you ride the bike, looking down you'll be able to see the forks waggling backwards and forwards alarmingly. Because the top tube and downtube are so close as to be actually joined together, that joint will need to be massively overbuilt and therefore very heavy. If it isn't, the high concentration of pivoting stresses in that area is going to cause something to crack pretty soon.

Contrast that design with this one, which I expect will last for ever as the stresses are so evenly distributed. Although unfashionable, a frame like this is the perfect weight-bearing two-triangle design with a very well braced lever attached to one end:

Colango_bicycle_frame.jpg

OP
OP
S

superdon

Regular
So are you saying the whole design of the Bizango is flawed?

OP
OP
S

superdon

Regular
Thanks Mickle. I appreciate it and find your comments interesting, but as I say I find it very confusing, especially as a newbie, that opinions are so polarised on the fit of this for me.

I also appreciate that there may be certain bike manufacturers that might suit me better, but I am limited to the Halfords range. Any thoughts on which of their range may be more suited to me?

I'd take a contrary view here. What you've got with the Bizango is a very modern bike with modern thinking. Some may call that fashion, there may be some truth in that or there may not. Once 29er geometry was a compromise and flawed in some sizes, those days are past. The only compromise these days is as you have to fit it to a smaller rider, then you need to look carefully at the bikes geometry as some manufacturers don't do small sizes because it requires bending tubes and integrating headsets.

The Bizango is bang on the money. It's longer wheelbase is shortened by curving the seat tube near the bottom bracket, keeping the rear stays a sensible length. The bars and stem are high and short and the bars wide, this is pretty much the trend for current mtn bikes. Contrast that with a 90's bike such as I've come from, which has narrower bars, a lower front end and a longer stem. The difference is night and day in handling and my 29er is far better off road.

I think the Bizango looks a sorted bike. Yes you may need to make changes to the bar and stem. Yes, it's very upright for the road but that comes into it's own off-road. I reckon it fits in terms of height, other manufacturers make a longer top tube but as you only seem to have access to Halfords, there's no point in suggesting them and as I say I think you could experiment with the stem and bars if you find it doesn't quite suit.

I went through this process very recently when I picked and built my own bike a Kinesis Maxlight ff29, the build of which is on here. I spent a lot of time reading about handling characteristics of 29ers and then rode some. Buying a 29er came about from my wife choosing one and me having a go and being impressed.

29ers seem to evoke a lot of emotion and the camps divide. Like any bike it's about picking one you think will suit what you do and one that fits, which we've covered and also dispelling the myths that seem to surround them. I say again, all of the geometry issues that affected handling of 29ers are sorted now, you need have no fears on that. Just decide if it's the bike you want.

Incidentally my own long low 26er is being turned into a touring bike. I wouldn't consider doing that with the FF29, it's a different bike and this is why many of us have more than one bike for different purposes.

Last edited:

Venod

Eh up
Get a 26" wheeled bike with the same size or smaller frame with a longer stem. In my opinion 29" only suit tall people.

Top Bottom