Is my new MTB too big?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ScotiaLass

Guru
I don't ride technical (anymore) so opted for the larger frame with mine...smaller frames are easier to control, but as I only ride light trails/woods and towpaths, I was happy with my decision. I have a good 2 - 2.5 inches stand over.
You have to be happy riding the bike and only you will know how you feel riding it!

ScotiaLass

Guru
Problem is, I don't want to take it for a proper ride, because if I do and then decide it is too big, halfords won't have it back!
Hmmmm.
I brought a Fuji MTB all the way home from Glasgow on the train....rode it, maybe half a mile, before I got home and decided even after adjustments, it wasn't right for me.
I took it back the next day and got a full refund. That was Evans.
Could you call them up tomorrow and check on their returns?

ScotiaLass

Guru
Unfortunately I don't think halfords would have any of that.
If it was me in this situation, and I wasn't sure, I would take it back and go to my local bike shop, where I could try one out before ordering.

That's what I did after I returned the Fuji. I got better advice and better service and I wish I had gone to them instead of trying to save myself some money. In fact, they were the same price for the bike I eventually got anyway!

Shadowfax

Before the sloping tube all of you blokes nuts rubbed it about time some of you grew some again.

Chortle chortle.

OP
OP
S

superdon

Regular
Ok, will have a play today and make some adjustments to see if it helps.

Any other adjustments I could make that might help with standover height?

I think I might also pop to halfords to see what they say and try some smaller bikes for size.

OP
OP
S

superdon

Regular
Right changed things and some more photos for you....

This one, I have moved forks to right direction and moved saddle backwards...
saddle_down.jpg

This one, is as above with me standing over the bike....
standing.jpg

This one, is as the above but I also moved the saddle up about an inch.....
saddle_up.jpg

This one shows the max that I can lift the front of the bike with me stood over it touching my crotch bone (wheel was about 2 inches above ground)...
image.jpg

It made a small difference to standover height moving the forks and the saddle back, but not masses. The bar still touches my dangling bits, but I can lift the bike so it touches my bone and get the front wheel up a good couple of inches.

When I tried raising the saddle, the pics above show the max I can move it up before I get uncomfortable on the pedals, which was around 1 inch.

With the saddle up an inch and back, it felt ok, but again I still haven't ridden it in case I need to take it back.

On all pics the suspension fork is locked. I am also holding the wall with my left hand which skews things a little.

Hows it looking now?

NormanD

Lunatic Asylum Escapee
Now that looks a lot better ... remember your danglies will touch the cross bar a bit, as you're not wearing cycling shorts (which will tuck them up a lot) arm length looks fine and a slight arch in your back ..looks to be a good fit really ... now the test comes when you have to get out to ride it :smile:

Globalti

Legendary Member
I've test-ridden bikes at Halfrauds before; they have allowed me to whizz around behind the shop with an assistant watching. Even if you just rode it down the road, there wouldn't be a problem if you took it back still wrapped like that - they aren't that clever!

That upright riding position and fat tyres are going to make the bike painfully slow though - why not take it back and get a road bike?

It looks very short in the top tube. Youve got shortish legs, short torso and long arms. A difficult set of parameters to fit on a bike. You definitely need a longer stem. Possibly a larger frame.

Right I've just checked my own bike and I have a similar clearance. I thought I had more but in fact it's pretty much the same and i manage just fine. I'll upload a pic in a minute when my phone has finished delivering it.

Mickle might be right about the stem, 29ers tend to have a higher bar position because of the extra wheel height, tyre clearance and in your case, 120mm forks. So unless the head height has been reduced the bars come up and it all looks shorter and is a bit shorter. it's a conundrum I'm currently solving on mine. I left a lot of stack height on my build and it's all come off now as the I've put the bars lower.

Personally i reckon your standover height is fine and personally I don't think it's too small, it just gives that illusion because of the 29er geometry. Mickle may be able to give you a bit more input on his observations there, he's pretty experienced.

Top Bottom