Is my new MTB too big?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Get a 26" wheeled bike with the same size or smaller frame with a longer stem. In my opinion 29" only suit tall people.
:smile: This one is oft quoted and there's some truth in it which I alluded to before but in response I often post this link

http://www.kinesisbikes.co.uk/small-in-a-big-way-2/

The other thing to mention, is that the headset appears to be integrated. Certainly the bottom of the head tube flairs and I can't think why it would do that unless it was integrated. This is commonly used these days to both build a shorter head tube to accomodate smaller sizes with the advantage that it also strenghtens and stiffens the head tube at the same time. Like i say, I don't think it's a flawed bike, you just have to decide if it's right for you.

Cubist

Still wavin'
I'm with @mickle on the sizing thing. @superdon , it looks like you have shortish legs, and the 29er frame has to slope upwards to accommodate the wheel size. That said, I would suggest someone of your height and stature should be on a smaller frame, but with better top tube proportions. A longer stem will make that bike vague in the steering.

If you are determined to buy yourself a mountainbike be very honest with yourself. If you are going to commute on it or ride it along simple trails, then you would benefit from a more stretched out, less upright position. If this isthe case, get yourself a cross trail type bike, not an MTB. If you do intend to ride off road, then my advice would be to go to a smaller frame. Smaller frames are more playful, easier to throw around. My lad rode a 16" framed hardtail from 5'8" to 5'11". My Soul is a 17.5" and I'm 5'11" with long legs. The bikes are a bit cramped for day long epics, but perfect for chucking around.

As for the 29 debate? Meh, I think they look awful, and have to rethink the entire geometry of MTBing. The larger wheels and subsequently larger fork legs, stays and so on add heft to a bike which will simply not benefit an inexperienced rider. More experienced riders on much more expensive machines may benefit, but 14.3 kg for an entry level hardtail is hardly a step,forward in terms of evolution. In fact it's criminal.

And anyway, 29 inch wheels are a passing fad. The majority of current bikes are embracing the wonder standard of 650b. This means they don't have to go to the extremes of re engineering all their frames, 650b bikes tend to look better than 29ers, and current market looks like its here to stay. Whether that's a good thing or not is a question others will have to answer. I have no intention of straying from 26". However, take that Bizango back, and have a good look at the Boardman Comp hardtail. Join CTC and you'll get 10% off the £650 price tag. And I think it will fit you better.

Venod

Eh up
Cubist said.

"A longer stem will make that bike vague in the steering."

I have read this loads of times but have yet to experience it, for me the stem length is all about getting the right position that you feel comfortable with, the wife's bike had a 50mm mine a 110mm I could not tell any difference in the steering response, I am in total agreement with you on 29ers I do wonder if 650b is also a passing fad, the rolling dia of 26" is about the same as 700c and to me feels right.

I have experienced it at extremes. I've one bike with virtually no stem which is a twitchy bugger at low speeds and then son1's mtn bike has a very short stem which even with wide bars feels a bit twitchy until you point it downhill.

If you put a longer stem with narrower bars that might work. I certainly played about with hand position on my own bike before I decided on stem and bar width but I digress, if the Boardman is an option for the op, it may well be the way to go.

OP
OP
S

superdon

Regular
Right. So off I went to halfords again today. All 16 inch models I tried felt too small, which fits in with general opinion.

I tried the new version Boardman comp 650 HT and it felt better in the standover but would be quite a bit more money overall.
They also had a clearance 2001/ 2012 Boardman comp, with 26 wheels whch was reduced to £520, they said they would give me £50 toward accessories and also the British Cycling discount. That would effectively make it £418. Again it felt ok with slightly more standover but still nowhere near 2 inches.

But, and it's a big but....it was a bit tatty and had quite a big dent in the frame, the part which goes to the back wheel. He said this wouldn't make a difference and that the frame would still be guaranteed for 2 years and would be replaced if anything bad happened.

AndyRM

XOXO
Sounds frustrating!

Personally I'd be inclined to spend a bit more than go for a dented floor model.

Have you actually tried riding the Voodoo? Not suggesting you go hooning round tracks and mountains, but a ride on dry tarmac should give you an idea of how the bike actually feels, rather than standing balanced next to a wall.

OP
OP
S

superdon

Regular
Frustrating indeed! I am bad at making decisions when spending money. Going for the latest Boardman Comp 650 isn't an option as I can't go the extra money.

I had a short test ride this afternoon. It felt good and I seemed to have no problems. My wife's a physio (although no bike expert) and she thought the way I had the bike set up nd my leg extensions on pedalling looked correct, she reckons about a 10 degree bend at knee on full extension.

I think my options are to either stick with the Bizango or go with the lower specd Bantu (26 wheels) for the very slight stand over increase and safe myself £100+ which can be put towards upgrades or a different bike in the future.

AndyRM

XOXO
If you feel alright (in my far from expert opinion) I reckon you'll be fine.

Although if you do decide to swap for the Bantu I can confirm that they are excellent, having had one for about 6 months before it was nicked :angry:

Where did you get the 2" standover height from? You seem to be fixating on this but I don't think I've got a single bike with a 2" standover height. Some people might but being genetically smart and handsome has left me with short legs and this means standover is often close. So far and I have two children, it hasn't been an issue.

Read the review for the Bizango that Globalti posted. I think your experiencing what is euphemistically called, post purchase dissonance :smile:

OP
OP
S

superdon

Regular
Reading around some websites suggest 2,3 or even 4 inches clearance for MTB.

You are right about the post purchase dissonance. I do over analyse stuff and am off work at the moment, so have even more time to do it! :smile:

screenman

Legendary Member
I would much rather try and make a small bike bigger than a large one smaller. 5ft8in and 29 1/2 inside leg and ride 16inch mtb. 51CM in road bikes or a small or extra small on compacts.

vickster

Legendary Member
Have you tried a more traditionally shaped 26" if you are doing technical off road which is presumably when the stand over is important rather than on the road, when you won't want an MTB anyhow :smile:. Are you using a c2w voucher hence you think you are restricted to halfords as there are many lbs who take halfords vouchers?

I would much rather try and make a small bike bigger than a large one smaller.
Yeahbut, only up to a point. It's a bit like saying that it's easier to fit your feet in shoes that are too big than shoes that are too small. If it's wrong it's wrong and no amount of extra seatpost or longer stem will fix it without introducing more probs.

screenman

Legendary Member
Yeahbut, only up to a point. It's a bit like saying that it's easier to fit your feet in shoes that are too big than shoes that are too small. If it's wrong it's wrong and no amount of extra seatpost or longer stem will fix it without introducing more probs.
I think anyone with average intelligence would have guessed that without you needing to point it out.

I do not own a bike that has not had some point changed to fit me better.

Top Bottom