Is the A38 ok - Exeter to Bristol?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rebel Ian

Just doing a little more detailed route planning and the A38 doesn't look like fun in places. I can't really see much alternatrive from Exeter to Bristol so I guess I'm looking for some confirmation from those that have ridden it it's ok.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I rode it in 2005. The road surface was good and the heavy traffic was all on the motorway running beside us but the hills going in to Bristol are hard work if they're at the end of a long day

corshamjim

I last cycled the Taunton-Bristol stretch I guess circa 1984! I remember thinking with hindsight it might not have been so hilly if I had taken the A370 instead. I haven't looked too carefully to see if it would have been or not.

OP
OP
Rebel Ian

Rebel Ian

About 3 or 4 miles south of Bristol airport we're planning on cutting onto the A370. Looking at the elevation profile of the route I've mapped there's a bit of climb between 10-20 miles, another after about 50 miles then a big(ish) one after 70 odd miles. The last 10 miles, which is about where we get on the A370, to our destination at Clifton is pretty much down all the way.

That's day 3 and it's substantially less climbing than day 2!

Just looked at the comparative stats on elevation. Day 2 across Dartmoor is 6300 feet up and 6700 feet down whereas day 3 into Clifton is 3050 feet up and about the same down.

BigGee

I cycled it the other way, out of Bristol down as far as the youth hostel at Cheddar in 2009. It is hilly and late on a friday afternoon the traffic coming out of Bristol was awful. That was probably one of my worst bits of road of the whole trip. The next day though, a saturday, when I went down to Exeter, it was much better both from a traffic point of view and not nearly so up and down.

Probably if you are coming into bristol in the evening, the traffic will hopefully be going the other way and will not be so much of a problem.

The hills will still be there though. It is quite a climb up to clifton. I went over the clifton suspension bridge before heading out of town on the A38. On the hill down from the bridge I hit 51mph. Luckily for me I did not notice it at the time and only clocked it when I checked the computer when I got to Cheddar. That is the fastest I have ever been on a bike and i imagine I would have been looking for a change of underware if I had seen it at the time. Climbing up it, at least that is not going to be your problem!

Hope you have a good trip

Grahame

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I should point out that we arrived in Bristol fairly late (albeit at the end of Day One) on a Sunday, so we were probably coming in at the least busy time of the week. Maybe my memory of the hills is juiced up by having already done getting on for 200 miles.

What I do remember is that the traffic out the next morning was grim. We didn't get away early - probably about 7.30, and one of our group suffered a broken chain within a few miles, so we were further delayed. My thought would be to get on the road the next day as early as you possibly can.

OP
OP
Rebel Ian

Rebel Ian

Thanks guys. So to summarise, the A38 seems like an ok route. It's gonna be hilly, especially up to Clifton and watch out for the traffic the next morning!

delport

I was surprised about the amount of hills when i left bristol on the A38, they seemed never ending, i think they actually ended 7 or 8 miles outside of Bristol then the road is a doddle.

I never went straight down to Exeter on it [although Exeter was my planned destination] but done a lot of miles on the A38, except for those hills i've no complaints.I was travelling at a steady 15 mph for a couple of hours along that road, after the hills, which was a good speed for me having so much to carry on the bike.

Davidc

Guru
From Exeter northwards to Collumpton and beyond it doesn't exist, but the B3181 road which used to be the pre M5 A38 is good quality and I've ridden it several times with no problem.

North from there to Taunton I go through Wellington, not round the A38 bypass, and then avoid the Wellington to Taunton section. I prefer using the unclassified roads via Bradford on Tone, they're just more pleasant on the bike.

North of Taunton I've not had any problems. If you want to dodge hills on the northern part of your route you can take the A370 just after passing Brent Knoll and go through Weston-s-Mare, then use the A370 to Bristol. I used to regularly do the W-s-M to Bristol via A370 route, but avoided the Long Ashton bypass stretch, riding through Long Ashton is much more pleasant.

At some point though if you're going to Clifton you have to climb.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Not sure what route you are taking to get up to Clifton ... but if it is Bridge Valley Road it is closed to motorists but open to bikes (and will be for yet another few extra months they announced this morning).

Davidc

Guru
[QUOTE 1355612"]
Very true, there are only two ways into Bristol from Exeter, the A38 and the A303. Avoid the 303 and take the 38. As from my recollection you only have one serious hill to deal with taking the A38 rather then three of the very worst climbs you can imagine going along the A303.
[/quote]

The nearest the A303 goes to Bristol is about 40 miles away. It doesn't go to Exeter either, it ends where it meets the A30.

OP
OP
Rebel Ian

Rebel Ian

Thanks all. I've mapped it so we leave the A38 and join the A370 but not going through Weston S-M. We join the A370 a little bit further up. I hope that misses the hills everyone speaks of!

the snail

Guru
Not sure what route you are taking to get up to Clifton ... but if it is Bridge Valley Road it is closed to motorists but open to bikes (and will be for yet another few extra months they announced this morning).

a bit steep though. A nicer route is via Yanley, Long Ashton through Ashton Court then over the bridge. The LVIS audax followed that route the other week, a nice way to get into Bristol I thought.

Top Bottom