is the MTB future 29" or 27.5"?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ShxdowRider420

for me. 29 is too big. even 27.5 is sometimes difficult for me to manoeuvre at technical parts on the trails. I run 27.5's though because 26'' are seen as little boy tyres from back in the day ahahaha :blink:.. so yh.. 27.5s are the happy medium lol.

Sod what anyone thinks. Ride what you like, what meets your needs. If you think 26 inch is better for your style of riding, ride the &&& things. Am perfectly happy with my 26 inch wheeled exped bike.

D

Deleted member 26715

Holy thread revival Batman, although I stick by my comments in post 2, I like my 29er for the open lanes & road sections, but it feels a big & clumbersome on anything technical, if I knew then what I do now, I'm not sure I would have bought it.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Best bet is get a 27.5 with plus tyres.
You'll then have a 27.5 with 29 rolling circumferance.. "diameter then" I can spell that:laugh:

Part of me wishes I'd bought a 29er but they weren't really popular (or many about) when I bought my current bike, that and I was just replacing a frame at the time. Think the 29er version of my inbred would really suit me and my riding, probably helps that I'm just over 6ft...

D

Deleted member 26715

I've just put a longer stem on mine & I am now much happier, I didn't feel safe before stood on the pedals

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I like my 29er for the open lanes & road sections, but it feels a big & clumbersome on anything technical, if I knew then what I do now, I'm not sure I would have bought it.

A 26" MTB certainly handles better and feels more agile than a 700C hybrid when ridden on bumpy gravel and rooty woods tracks. 26" just feels more willing to change direction and the wheels will turn in a tighter space. 27.5" and 29" hold no appeal whatsoever to me for MTB wheels.

Kajjal

Guru
A 26" MTB certainly handles better and feels more agile than a 700C hybrid when ridden on bumpy gravel and rooty woods tracks. 26" just feels more willing to change direction and the wheels will turn in a tighter space. 27.5" and 29" hold no appeal whatsoever to me for MTB wheels.

It depends on your personal preference and riding style. My newer HT and FS bikes are both 29". They suit my preference for natural trails, longer rides and not being interested in jumps etc. I do have an old 26" 1990's XC HT which I keep abroad with relatives and take up into the mountains. It takes a few minutes to adjust and the only real downside is the less grip on steeper climbs off road. It is more manoeuvrable but does get bashed around a bit more.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Ebike 27.5s or 29ers are the future.........wont find them in skips though

Ebikes are cheat bikes in my book, whatever their wheel size. I just don't see the point of them, and I'm sure plenty WILL actually end up being dumped in skips in future when the batteries and motors fail and they are uneconomic to repair. OK, some of my machines may have been, err, "recycled" and may not have been top of the range to begin with, but they are 100% human-powered.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Ebikes are cheat bikes in my book, whatever their wheel size. I just don't see the point of them, and I'm sure plenty WILL actually end up being dumped in skips in future when the batteries and motors fail and they are uneconomic to repair. OK, some of my machines may have been, err, "recycled" and may not have been top of the range to begin with, but they are 100% human-powered.
Cheating at what exactly??

Top Bottom