It’s a different world now.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
The kids at Mini D's school do a daily mile round the grounds. Youre right, its the lazy fat-ass parents who want climate change stopped, but not if it means they have to walk anywhere.
Indeed...! :whistle:
This is a real conversation which took place at the National Trust beauty spot of Hardcastle Crags, near Hebden Bridge:

Man in car, anxiously: "So, the only car park is here, and the visitor centre is a mile that way...?"

Me astride mountain bike, cheerfully: "Yes, there is a lovely walk to it through the woods, down by the river, just take that footpath."

Man in car, angrily: "Yeah, right, and just how am I bloody well supposed to get my kids there and back - he is 10 years old and she is only 8!"
:banghead:

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
Followed by semolina or tapioca pudding.

Chris S

Legendary Member
I went to an all boys school. When they put on a production of 'Alice in Wonderland' the lead role had to be played by an 11-year-old boy wearing a dress. It must have been a wonderful production though, one master bought a ticket for every night ^_^

play.jpg

Alex321

Veteran
I was at High School in the early 80s and it was clear some of the teachers were uncomfortable administering corporal punishment. The music teacher was in tears after she belted us. Some of them passed the punishment onto older teachers who had no qualms though.
Apart from the thrown blackboard erasers, corporal punishment in our school was only for fairly serious offences, and was only ever administered by the deputy headmaster (mine was a boys only direct grant grammar school BTW).

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I got it a fair bit as a kid but never really thought about it much when I grew up. However, talking to my younger sister before she passed away, she said she was haunted by me basically getting regularly beaten up by my dad. Most of the time she hid in her bedroom and tried to hide the noise with a pillow over her ears but sometimes she saw me getting punched and slapped and it scarred her.

Yup, similar here.

Me, my mum and younger brother were regularly punched, kicked and variously assaulted by my father over a period of about 6-7 years.

It escalated beyond this to knives, broken bottles and lumps of wood - although by this stage (aged 16-17) I was able to fight back so the carnage was not as bad as it could have been.

One amusing moment I do remember - we had a tropical fish tank in the kitchen full of colourful fish.

My father had come home drunk and kicked off. I managed to get him onto the kitchen floor in a headlock and was trying to choke him.

He eventually got me off and headed to the knife drawer for retribution, my mum intervened and threw a kettle of boiling water over him.

He was screaming in agony and for some reason he punched the fish tank and guppies and mollies were flip-flopping all over the floor.

At the same time 2 burly policemen turned up (2am in the morning - school night!) blue lights flooding our street (a neighbour had called them - we had no money for a phone).

I vividly remember them restraining my father (plus they gave him a little more than that) with my mum and I trying to pick the fish up and put them into a bucket of water.

Surreal.

For differing reasons tough times were not uncommon amongst my friendship group at the time.

Although Mrs SD was about 20 years into my future she has some awful and sad tales to tell of her loving but extremely poor upbringing.

Some of the many reasons why we get miffed when we get told that we are part of a golden generation that had it all. :laugh:

Chris S

Legendary Member
We had to wear short trousers until we were 13.

shorts.jpg

but we made up for it during the holidays :smile:

bags.jpg

Last edited:

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
Yup, similar here.

Me, my mum and younger brother were regularly punched, kicked and variously assaulted by my father over a period of about 6-7 years.

It escalated beyond this to knives, broken bottles and lumps of wood - although by this stage (aged 16-17) I was able to fight back so the carnage was not as bad as it could have been.

One amusing moment I do remember - we had a tropical fish tank in the kitchen full of colourful fish.

My father had come home drunk and kicked off. I managed to get him onto the kitchen floor in a headlock and was trying to choke him.

He eventually got me off and headed to the knife drawer for retribution, my mum intervened and threw a kettle of boiling water over him.

He was screaming in agony and for some reason he punched the fish tank and guppies and mollies were flip-flopping all over the floor.

At the same time 2 burly policemen turned up (2am in the morning - school night!) blue lights flooding our street (a neighbour had called them - we had no money for a phone).

I vividly remember them restraining my father (plus they gave him a little more than that) with my mum and I trying to pick the fish up and put them into a bucket of water.

Surreal.

For differing reasons tough times were not uncommon amongst my friendship group at the time.

Although Mrs SD was about 20 years into my future she has some awful and sad tales to tell of her loving but extremely poor upbringing.

Some of the many reasons why we get miffed when we get told that we are part of a golden generation that had it all. :laugh:
That's horrific.

My father hit me because his dad hit him and he thought it was how discipline was instilled. He hated it, after one beating I heard him throwing up. My mother was the real instigator, insisting that he be stricter and tougher with me. He was only doing what he thought was right which is why I hold no grudges.

Drago

Legendary Member
The only time my Dad twatted me is when i thought I was big and hard enough to raise my fists to him. I wasn't as big and hard as I thought, and he didn't make the Major in the Royal Armoured Corps by being a pussy.

Next thing I know I'm on my arriss with an elbow shaped bruise in the middle of my forehead. I deserved what I got, but were it to happen to day hed likely face arrest, such has society "advanced".

Final year at Junior School, 1974, Headteacher took a lesson once a week, supposedly "science" based.

All I can recall is that he wanted to show us how heartbeats increase with exercise. Split us into groups of four (two lads, two girls), at which point he told us that to "save the girls blushes" he would take one of the groups each week into the stationery cupboard at the back of the classroom, as he needed to take pulse rates, and, obviously, this would involve taking our tops off so he could place his sweaty palm on our chests. He would then get the four "chosen" ones to run round the school field, and then go back in the cupboard for a repeat performance. Funnily enough, he only ever did this with one group of 4 kids, that included the 2 girls who were the most physically developed at that young age. This was the same guy that used to rant at us in school assemblies, that he would take us into the toilets and wash our mouths out with soap should we ever be caught swearing. Really nice guy. The joys of a 1970's Church of England Primary School education.

He subsequently left our school and went on to be a Head of an all Girls school, where, as a total shock to us all, he ended being prosecuted for "messing with kids" as our parents told us in the vernacular of the time.

Last edited:

presta

Guru
When I saw this thread the first thing that sprang to mind was recent programs I've seen with girls talking about putting up with being pawed by boys sticking their hands in their underwear. I think that's appalling, I don't recall anything of that kind when I was at school, even twanging bra straps was all just talk. We had nothing like that from the teachers, either.

Our school had grown like orphan Annie over the years and was a scattering of numerous assorted buildings, one of which was an old Victorian school house that had been condemned as unfit in the 1930s, but another was this large house that used to belong to Courtauld, the textile industrialist. It was converted into luxury flats a while back, and I copied some photos off Rightmove at the time:

1637236749716.jpeg

There was a modern science block on the right where those cream houses are now, my class was top right, headmaster's office was bottom left. There used to be a conservatory on the side, which was the biology lab. We used to climb out of the window onto the roof.

1637236780198.jpeg
1637236802039.jpeg

My class was on the balcony, just off the top right hand corner of the photo. It was room C, so we were 5C, like the Fenn Street Gang.
In those days the walls over the stairs were clad in Zulu shields and spears, we wouldn't have dared touch them, but Health and Safety would be having kittens nowadays. ^_^

This was the main building in 2015, just before that too was converted into flats. Latterly it had been council offices, but that large hall used to be our dining hall, and it didn't have windows to stop you jumping off the balcony in those days. ^_^
Report - - County High School - Braintree - Summer 2015 | Residential Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Most of the mischief I got up to was of the subtle electronic kind, so the physics lab was an adventure playground. I used to keep one step ahead of the teachers, but when the other kids tried to copy what they didn't understand they made a hash of it and got a clip round the ear. :laugh: I once made a hand shocker, electrified the classroom door handle, and managed to get Mr Garlick the maths teacher with it, who thought it was a hoot.

I copied this after someone put it on Facebook, it would have been about 1971:
BCHS 1.jpg

BCHS 2.jpg
BCHS 3.jpg
BCHS 4.jpg
BCHS 5.jpg
BCHS 6.jpg
BCHS 7.jpg

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
We had to wear short trousers until we were 13.

View attachment 618208

but we made up for it during the holidays :smile:

View attachment 618210
Were you at my school? :smile: No long trousers until the 3rd form , and I really had to badger my parents to buy me some for the weekends, to meet friends (and girls!) as we weren't very well off and in those days school uniform items had to double as weekend wear as well. I still remember sore chapped calves in the winter.

Top Bottom