JOGLE tyre choice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Roger

Veteran
I am doing JOGLE in August on a GT Grade adventure bike, I current use Continental Grand Prix 4 season 28mm tyres, have used then since a bad crash in the wet on 'cheap' tyres. While you can not buy the tyres in the 32mm width in this country you can get them from lots of European bike distributors, has anyone any experience of the 32mm version, will I notice any difference in ride/comfort/handling, the recommended tyre pressure is 85psi - 10 less than the 28mm tyres. I will be using two pannier bags on the rear and travelling as light as possible, I will need to put new tyres on for the ride so is it worth the extra couple of £ for the 32mm version? Will probably need to buy three or take a 28mm as an emergency spare.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
If you can fit them on the bike (beware mudguard and frame clearances all round), I'd go 32 in a heartbeat. The few extra grammes and £s are a small price to pay for the comfort of lower pressures and there are claims they're easier-rolling but I feel that less than the comfort.

I've no experience of the GP4season because I prefer Schwalbe. I think a friend doing JOGLE soon is intending to use Marathon Supreme but I may be confused.

hoopdriver

Guru
I doubt very much you would need to carry a spare tyre on a LEJOG (or JOGLE!) trip, especially if you are starting the ride on new tyres. Save yourself the bother. Carry a spare tube or two by all means, but you won't need a spare tyre. I use Schwalbe Marathon Plus for touring as a rule, but the GP4 Season is a fine tyre (I use them on my road bike) and I would not hesitate to use it for a tour. The 32s will give you a much nicer ride than the 28s.

Last edited:

HorTs

Über Member
I'd go for as large as you can up to 35cc.

If tyre choice is in question... my preference is the Schwalbe Marathon Plus too. I've done 20,000+ miles over a couple of sets and had 1 puncture. The puncture resistance far outweighs (excuse the pun) the extra weight.

MikeG

Guru
I wouldn't (and didn't) ride on anything different from normal. I think we were on 25s, but it may have been 22s. It's only a thousand miles, and there are bike shops all over the place, so there is absolutely no need to take a spare tyre with you.......just 2 or 3 spare tubes. As a tip, though, dismount and walk across cattle grids (there are a few in Scotland), as they are the biggest tyre or tube eaters on the trip.

hoopdriver

Guru
A big plus on the advice (above) on cattle grids! Walk across! Riding across cattle grids is so not worth the several seconds you might save.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
A big plus on the advice (above) on cattle grids! Walk across! Riding across cattle grids is so not worth the several seconds you might save.
Why is it that Belgium and the Netherlands can install cattle grids (wildrooster or I forget what the other term is for the ones on farms) which aren't more than a mild inconvenience (just make sure you cross them straight, but the track or road is straight both sides to help you), whereas most UK ones are wide-spaced bike-breakers?

MikeG

Guru
Whilst this thread has diverted momentarily to cattle grids, we watched a sheep in Scotland cross over a grid as though it wasn't there.......by lying down, and rolling over on its back across the grid, and standing up on the far side. That one needed an early conversion to lamb chops otherwise sheep would soon be taking over the world.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Im another schwalbe marathon plus user. I am possibly the only person who think Continental 4 season tyres are rubbish. Look on FB. Transcontinental Race. There is a lot of good advice about tyre choice.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Continental 4 season tyres are rubbish.
Continental GP 4 Seasons are excellent (as the OP has discovered). The last pair gave me 8000km on the front (including 1600 on an end-to-end) - no flats; and 5000km on the rear (2 flats, both my fault snake bites). General long distance rural cycling (eg end-to-end type roads) but plenty of non tarmac surfaces as well. Only replaced with two more of the same because the nicks had slowly built up and I had some long rides (audaxes) for which I wanted to have fresh tyres. The GP4S 28-622s only measure 26.5mm (at 100psi on rims with 15mm (internal) width). So go for the 32s like a shot (as @mrj has said). Please post a link on here and, when you procure and mount them, measure the width and post that on here.
Tyre pressures - see attachment.

Attachments

• TyreInflationPressures.pdf
    201.6 KB · Views: 92

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Continental GP 4 Seasons are excellent (as the OP has discovered). The last pair gave me 8000km on the front (including 1600 on an end-to-end) - no flats; and 5000km on the rear (2 flats, both my fault snake bites). General long distance rural cycling (eg end-to-end type roads) but plenty of non tarmac surfaces as well. Only replaced with two more of the same because the nicks had slowly built up and I had some long rides (audaxes) for which I wanted to have fresh tyres. The GP4S 28-622s only measure 26.5mm (at 100psi on rims with 15mm (internal) width). So go for the 32s like a shot (as @mrj has said). Please post a link on here and, when you procure and mount them, measure the width and post that on here.
Tyre pressures - see attachment.
I expect that you are correct. I have read lots of good reviews about them. Unfortunately the ones I had were awful.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Without derailling the thread, I hope, I cannot let the advice below pass without contrary comment.
As a tip, though, dismount and walk across cattle grids (there are a few in Scotland), as they are the biggest tyre or tube eaters on the trip.
A cattle grid is a hazard, like a variety of other hazards on the road. So riders can ride across with care, caution but above all without accelerating, turning or braking on them. It would be interesting to know what proportion of riders follow the advice above: dismount and walk across (not without some risk in itself) but I posit that the vast majority just ride across standing just clear of the saddle and having paused the pedalling. If the road goes up hill over a cattle grid (the start of Hardknott Pass from the west comes to mind), the rider needs to consciously accelerate before rolling over the grid. Sure some cattle grids may have deteriorated but this is normally clear to the approaching rider who, if prudent, will slow (or even stop and walk) to mitigate the risk involved. But cattle grids dangerous to cyclists are rare. There have been previous threads on cattle grids on CC.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Why take the risk? And for what? To save a few seconds?
Styles of riding differ, and all I'm saying is that risk tolerance varies (with yours on the low side, which is fine). I think your perception of the risk is exaggerated; grossly exaggerated, and I think most riders will think the same and ride happily over cattle grids. And your advice may serve irrationally to heighten other (novice) readers' concern. Perhaps you might conduct a survey on a frequently cycled road with a cattle grid, and see what percentage just ride across? I'm suggesting this percentage will be high. YMMV
[btw the hyperlink in your subscription fails for me - the 'm' has been cut off]

Top Bottom