Jumping red lights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
M

Markymark

Tommi - it is a good analagy but not quite the same.

White people and non-white people are all people.

Cars and cyclists are different as cars pose a much greater physical threat to cyclists than cyclists do to cars.

But when you drive do you have a similar level of dudgeon towards the drivers around you that are going over the speed limit or run a red light or are talking on the phone? This hatred specifically towards cyclists seems very peculiar given they are no more or less likely to break the law than any other road user.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I'm more worried that because of SportMonkey's puerile behaviour, that motons will expect me to jump lights also, and when I don't, sometimes get very close to rear-ending me. His riding and that of all other RLJers puts the rest of us directly in danger.

Spot on Mike... do not feed the troll people.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
He fed me, he got personal. I love a good bit of anger. He also assumed I jumped red lights. Considering you're a law abiding citizen you've handed yourself in for the common assault you committed?

As Mikey quite rightly said... very purile. Do yourself a favour, you know what you are doing, so reign in the trolling comments a little.

Can we get some of this?

258troll_spray.jpg

OP
OP
M

Markymark

The funny thing is they think they look clever .....

Boris Bike

I overtook a guy 6 times this morning who kept pushing in and jumping red lights in central London.
I've only been commuting for months but both these things are my bugbears.

As has been said by other posters on this thread; whilst not statistically dangerous, jumping red lights gives cyclists a bad name, can annoy car drivers who will take it out on other cyclists, and potentially encourage more cyclists to do it.

Slow cyclists who push their way to the front of the queue at lights really get my goat too. Nearly everybody else has passed them between the last set of lights and these ones, now we're going to have to do it all again.

I'm also not enamored with cyclists riding two abreast on busy roads whilst chatting; cars waiting to turn onto a road and have edged their way onto the cycle lane; seeing cyclists bombing along a pedestrian-only pavement; taxi drivers telling me to f off.

But I still love it :smile:

Tommi

Tommi - it is a good analagy but not quite the same.

White people and non-white people are all people.

Cars and cyclists are different as cars pose a much greater physical threat to cyclists than cyclists do to cars.
But drivers and riders are all people. You wouldn't find it acceptable for a white person to disrespect all black people by default because of few black individuals. You wouldn't demand all black people to be more careful about their behaviour as to not give some whites more excuses to disrespect everyone.

Assuming someone who's actually been present has a problem with my behaviour then it reflects just the same on all generalisations, and yet only the cycling group plays along with the excuses made by morons in cars. Please snap out of it. Come back when prime minister comes telling you should change your behaviour because it's reflecting on all Brits and some extremists in East-Asia might use that as an excuse to be against all Brits. (Apologies for bad analogy, but you get the picture.)

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Best thing I found is when a RLJ goes through is to raise a hand and give a shake of the head, do it so car drivers can see.

Top Bottom