Jumping red lights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I overtook a guy 6 times this morning who kept pushing in and jumping red lights in central London.

After the 5th he undertook me whilst slowing for traffic.

Is this normal and should I just ignore it? Is the fact I kept overtaking him whilst riding 6 times embarrassing enough?

I was trying not to race him but was just faster than him.

** Sorry, posted twice by accident!! **

If you'd have jumped the red lights too he wouldn't have had to repass you. By not jumping the lights yourself you were putting both of you at risk.

Tommi

I overtook a guy 6 times this morning who kept pushing in and jumping red lights in central London.

Is this normal and should I just ignore it? Is the fact I kept overtaking him whilst riding 6 times embarrassing enough?

If one is habitually jumping red lights I think that's normal, depending on how much the traffic lights sequence is working against you.

OP
OP
M

Markymark

SportMonkey - are you serious???

I always stop at red lights - as did most of the other cyclists - which numbered in the dozens as was in central London.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I hate these selfish RLJers. Together with the same sorts in cars, they put my life at risk a couple of times a week, when I'm left bricking myself as to whether the vehicle behind me is going to stop whilst I'm stopping for a traffic light.

Danny251

Nothing annoys me more than seeing cyclists jump red lights. As if we need to give motorists more reason to hate us.

** Sorry, posted twice by accident!! **

Pretty standard behaviour in London I'm afraid, doesn't mean you should join in though. I find overtaking them quite satisfying really, if I can block them safely all the better. Undertakers I usually have a word with!

Dan B

Disengaged member
Nothing annoys me more than seeing cyclists jump red lights.
You've never had bad sunburn? Lost a loved one? Had a car or house been broken into? Snapped a shoelace while out walking in the rain? Got a puncture on a night ride when you've already used your spare tube?

Nothing annoys me more than seeing cyclists jump red lights. As if we need to give motorists more reason to hate us.

Lots of things annoy me more than RLJers. ATM the idiots rioting are top of the list.

However I agree that they help to tarnish the image, as do pavement cyclist who are more likely to cause distress to other people.

Simba

Specialized Allez 24 Rider
I use red lights as rest time as when I cycle I always push hard. Also I usually block any potential jumpers. Once though someone nearly went straight in to the back of me, all I heard was screeching brakes, looked round and some muppet right up my arse. I had words with him.

Top Bottom