Just curious about other cyclists speeds!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
that's why he hasn't been on the forum , one man one shovel , its gonna take a while

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
I geared the bike up to 36/14 ratio last night and I was that fast on my commute this morning, that I arrived back home before I left.

Just as well, as I had to have a word with myself for not clocking in and I now won't get paid.

Should have taken the De Lorian

Last edited:
Well I do find the top speed a little suspect OK you probably do cycle that average though perhaps thats stretching it a bit What if you've had a bad day at the office/ grindstone I used to do perhaps 15 mph when I was a schoolboy commuting to seat of learning Now am more than happy to perhaps manage a 14.1 mph on a 40 mile trip aas to a top speed well 32 mph was as frighteningly fast as I have been as have realised that after 9 car smash ups! am yes; just a mere mortal!

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
The OPs posting history shows commuting distances to be simultaneously 7 and 10-15 miles each way.

Similarly, my commute is simultaneously entirely effortless yet also consumes sufficient calories to allow me to scoff limitless chips, cake and beer and maintain the body of a Greek God.*

Such are the laws of cycling, I guess.
Capture.JPG

*ie 3000 years old, in an advanced state of decomposition and emitting unpleasant odours.

vickster

Legendary Member
Well I do find the top speed a little suspect OK you probably do cycle that average though perhaps thats stretching it a bit What if you've had a bad day at the office/ grindstone I used to do perhaps 15 mph when I was a schoolboy commuting to seat of learning Now am more than happy to perhaps manage a 14.1 mph on a 40 mile trip aas to a top speed well 32 mph was as frighteningly fast as I have been as have realised that after 9 car smash ups! am yes; just a mere mortal!
Maybe just as well as if you were a cat, the next ‘car smash up’ would be your last :blink:

KneesUp

Guru
Hi, Ive been cycling every single day to work (10-15 miles each way) for over 1 year now, it used to be interesting with many other cyclists riding along and at about the same pace as me.

When I started cycling I was averaging 15mph just like so many other cyclists.

But sadly (or not) it seems like theres no one I can cycle with on a commuting daily basis anymore, everyone is just too slow for me nowadays, no one ever cycle at my pace which is frustrating in some sense.

My average speed is 19.88 mph comunting (this is without sweating at all btw)
My top speed is 68mph on a stretch downhill of my daily comuniting (with traffic) I could go faster without traffic.

Now the purpose of this thread is Id like to ask other cyclists who ride their bikes daily, what is your average speed (without traffic), and what is your fastest speed you ever cycled?

Thanks
First off it is clear you are attempting some kind of wind up.

Secondly, when I was younger, so much younger than today, I used to commute 5 miles in lovely flat Manchester. My route included - I think - 9 sets of traffic lights. If I was late for work, I could average 19.9mph (according to a calibrated Cateye computer) over the whole journey - so the moving average would have been higher, but the computer was cheap, so it didn't do that. Years later, I remain annoyed I never got to 20mph.

I didn't find cycling with someone to be a problem. I never wanted to talk to strangers anyway, but when I was fast people used to chat at traffic lights. On at least three occasions it was because in those days I wore my (blonde rather than grey) hair down to the middle of my back and the chaps in question admitted that they had thought I was female. I am not sure why though you would want someone to cycle with on the commute? Or, indeed, if you do, why you can't just slow down?

As an aside, if you chose to commute when there is no traffic, you are very lucky - as further evidenced by being alive after cycling at 68mph in traffic ...

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
My speed is about 12mph with my heartbeat constantly under 160bpm and my cadence under 80.

I can do this literally, all day.

Dont you just love Wahoo ^_^

12boy

Guru
My last 10 rides I have been lucky to do 9 mph. Snow, ice, twisty paths, headwinds and studded tires plus all the stuff needed to keep warm in wind chills of 10 F. When it is warm, if lucky, might get 12mph over 20 miles. Same hills, paths and often winds, but not wearing all that clothing and regular tires help a lot. Apparently, I could feel bad about going so slow, but I don't. BTW, I find it dangerous going over 30 downhill because hitting ice, having a car pull out, getting doored or just hit by someone on their phone, drunk or unconscious can get you killed or crippled. Screw that.

F-f-f-flipping hell (or words to that effect) I can believe all the weight in those steel wheels would have given you a bit of extra momentum, but I wouldn't want to have to try to stop from that speed, unless I had a spare pair of trousers to change into. Those Mustangs are tough as old boots but they are heavy enough to have their own gravitational field!

It was pretty heavily modified with drop bars, Mountain LX / 300EX 21-speed groupset and alloy rims. And the stock Lee Chi cantis had been upgraded. It was a beast of a Long Haul Trucker before Surly was a thing, took me on some great camping trips.

I was also 16 years old with that perceived invulnerability field that youth gives you. Luckily it held out.

I'm the opposite now, if I brag it's about how big my rear cassette / how small my granny ring is and how slow I can go without falling over :biggrin:

winjim

Smash the cistern
I've posted this before but... this is not my Garmin.

14380077_10155242209415299_5988246116426032744_o-jpg.jpg

Metric ton achieved on the eleventh attempt going down Slack Hill. I make that 63mph so only slightly slower than the op.

12boy

Guru
Saw a gentleman going down a loop I ride on. He was hunched over and passed me when my car speedo said 62. The shoulder is 8 ft wide but has occasional gravel. All I could think was if he hits a rock the size of an orange or has a blowout there could be a nasty outcome. He seemed to be enjoying himself, so more power to him. Being a liitle warped, I like coming up the grade, huffing and puffing, feeling my pulse rate climb a bit, and then riding the brake a bit on the return side of the loop. Probably going 1/10 of his speed going up.

Top Bottom