keeping warm during camping

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Silks liners add on about a full season, cotton add on about half a season.
Good to add in when its cold, and if its too warm you can just sleep in the liner!

I always put a hat on when i got cold.
Or, another thing to keep you warm is to errrr.................:rofl:

Bigtwin

As mentioned above, head cover is the most important by far. Heads radiate head, and it's a double whammy as they are usually out of the bag.

Get a balaclava - you can wear it just as a cap, or as a full over if it's really nippy.

Stick your feet (in your bag), in your pannier/rucksac - makes a big difference and means you can get away with a 3/4 mat.

Warm bags are bulky. If they're not, they aren't that warm. So, liner is good and silk packs small. Liner is worth a lot of bag bulk. Bivvy bag if you have access to one packs up small, adds a season rating to your sleeper, stops you getting soaked when your tent leaks in the night, and means you have somewhere to sleep if your tent get's blown away/knicked/whatever.

If you think you are going to be really cold, get a couple of chemical warmers from a camp shop (little foil bag ones) - in around your feet will make a huge difference. If you are somewhere with a microwave (most cafes will do it if you ask) use a mw warmer thingy. Like little bean bags.

Lastly, put your kit on warm, rather than warming it up in a cold bag. Stuff your socks/balaclava/liner gloves down your shirt while doing your camp admin so they are warm when you go to bed - makes a big difference to how you feel.

Not being funny, but...women's thermarests are warmer than mens - this is because women sleep colder than men and so need warmer stuff when camping. I camp with a 4 season down bag that packs down quite small, and with my thermarest I am v warm.

Definitely second a hat, layers, and also a shoulder cuff on the sleeping bag helps too.

jnb

Veteran
Don't have too much kit!

Which might sound odd but actually means do not have too large a tent / sleeping bag / jacket. Your body will warn the air around you so the larger any of those items the more air you have to warm and the harder it is to keep that warm air around you.

Use technical materials, microfleece jackets, merino wool (I use icebreaker stuff), etc.

Bag liners are good, silk ones even better because they are tiny.

Never sleep wet. Always ensure you have dry kit available before you retire for the night.

The technical kit is probably the best bit of advice I had. It allowed me to halve the weight of kit I carried and allowed me to camp down to -20 in comfort.

Try places like snow and rock and some of the mountaineering and hiking forums for advice.

jnb

Veteran
psmiffy said:
ive got a small camping gas light - bungs out 80w not a lot but enough to take the chill off been invaluable a couple of times when temperture dropped below freezing when camping at height - also provides a good light

NO!

"camping gas light" in a tent! :smile: translates as burning nylon if your lucky or possible CO poisoning!

rualexander

Legendary Member
A hot water bottle can be improvised with an aluminium drinks bottle (Sigg etc.) filled with hot water and put inside a couple of socks. Lovely and warm to get you off to sleep but obviously doesn't last all night.

hubbike

rualexander said:
A hot water bottle can be improvised with an aluminium drinks bottle (Sigg etc.) filled with hot water and put inside a couple of socks. Lovely and warm to get you off to sleep but obviously doesn't last all night.
Yep I do this in a naglene!

bigjim

Legendary Member
If any cardboard about, nick it and lay on the floor of the tent. Cardboard is a great insulator. Ask any hobo. Just put it in the bin in the morning.

I put my underwear inside the sleeping bag overnight (if I'm not wearing it). Means it isn't cold and clammy the next morning.
If it is particularly cold I just wear everything I've got in my panniers.

smeg

Bigtwin said:
Warm bags are bulky. If they're not, they aren't that warm.

You're referring to cheap synthetic sleeping bags they're also heavy as well as being bulky, down bags are lighter, warmer and aren't as bulky for their warmth - expensive though. The Snugpak sleeping bags (synthetic) are overrated rubbish - their warmth ratings are outright lies, they're ok for Summer use though (just). The only good thing about them is they're fairly light and pack up small but so is a cheap 2 season one.

ASC1951

Guru
Definitely a hat - Buff usually, something thicker in the winter; and then the Buff goes round the neck.

Also gloves if it's really cold.

Top Bottom