keeping warm during camping

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rollon

Only taken up biking recently but have been mountaineering and wild camping for a long time. As others have said if its a bit chilly get into yopur sleeping back clothed, then as you warm up remove clthing gradually. TIP: Place the clothing you intend to put on in the morning, top, shorts, socks etc inside your sleeping bag with you. This mean they are warm in the morning and wont be damp if your tent suffers condensation. A smaller tent than the one you and your pal spent a night in will warm up far quicker due to the lesser air space. You had no real chance of warming all that air in the bigger tent for you to feel any benefit.
Dave.

OP
OP
C

ch3

Thank you all very much for all these valuable information.
I've just read it all again to make my final decision on what I need to buy before the depart of my long tour and what I should leave for later on, when the weather get colder.

What I read about keeping warm and dry over the night make totally sense. My only other question now is, what happens when you have to jump out to the cold for a while in the middle of the night. How do you maintain that heat? What if it is raining outside? It may sound strange, but I always need a last of the day wee, at maximum 30 minutes before I fall asleep. Drinking loads of water over the day and maybe a couple of beers in the evening, in combination with cold and wet weather, may also bring more desire for the toilet over the night.
Do I use my water bottle then, which I can turn into a hot water bottle? =]

lukesdad

Get adecent mummy bag the good ones go right down ive had mine years theyre brill and if it is hot you can unzip them.

ivanmathew

This one simple product comes with me any time I go camping...
emergency-blanket.jpg

It's great as a liner inside your sleeping bag during cold weather, your tent floor, or your tent ceiling as well to create the same effect as this...

Kitchen+Parade+2008+Week+26+Grilled+Vegetables+in+Foil+400.JPG

MikeMc

Über Member
CH3 said "It may sound strange, but I always need a last of the day wee, at maximum 30 minutes before I fall asleep."

Pee in a bottle set aside for the purpose. One with big enough capacity, and wide enough cap. This is called, to use the technical term, a pee bottle.

smeg

ch3 said:
what happens when you have to jump out to the cold for a while in the middle of the night. How do you maintain that heat? What if it is raining outside?
And what about it you big girl's blouse? ;) Your sleeping bag will still be warm by the time you get back in it, if you get out of your bag and move about you generate body heat anyway. If it's raining heavily outside you put your waterproof jacket on before you slip your shoes on, it's no big deal. I've been wild camping in all sorts of nasty weather in the Highlands (in April & October) up the side of mountains and other exposed areas, when it has been just above freezing during the night, heavy rain and 50mph+ gusting winds. If you're wearing thermal bottoms I'd be careful not to get them wet though when getting out the tent if the rain is hammering down that hard, I'd probably just take them off and put them in my sleeping bag so they're still warm when I put them back on. If you're going to slip into wet shoes/boots obviously take your socks off too (if you're wearing them).

Landslide

Rare Migrant
Another vote here for a woolly hat.

Also, if you've got an insulated flask (thermos), put freshly boiled water in it last thing before bed. That way you can enjoy your first brew of the day without having to get out of bed!;)

PpPete

Legendary Member
I used to use a pee bottle when I was single - wife complained it was unfair as she couldnt use one.

Now I use Smeg's "strip & run" :wacko:

Sleeping bags - if you want really good down bag, be it microweight or something to take to South Pole, or anything in between, PHD are hard to beat. Made in UK & prices are very competitive too. Mark Beaumont used one of their bags on his round the world cycle. Ranulph Fiennes is another fan of their kit.
You could also look at something like their Ultra Vest (down gilet) if you get cold in evenings before bed time.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
Has anyone suggested cuddling up to someone?

OP
OP
C

ch3

It's great as a liner inside your sleeping bag during cold weather, your tent floor, or your tent ceiling as well to create the same effect as this...

I saw these blankets in my local shop for 3-4 pounds. May get one when the weather gets colder.

I used to use a pee bottle when I was single
I am traveling solo, so pee bottle will be!
=]

Has anyone suggested cuddling up to someone?
Yes, we were cuddling during that cold/windy/rainy night in Swansea. It does work, but as people mentioned, the airbed we had didn't help much.

Rollon

Never get out of your warm sleeping bag for a wee. I use a cup or a small pan strategically placed inside the porch near the inner tent door. When the need arises, I kneel up pull down the bag reach for the cup, do the business and throw the contents just outside the flysheet to one side. A little water to swill the cup out in the morning is sufficient before using same cup for a brew.
Dave.

OP
OP
C

ch3

I am sure even without asking here in the forum I would ended up doing something similar. But now, it's good that I know I won't be the only one doing these kind of these.
=]

Thank you

Rollon said:
Never get out of your warm sleeping bag for a wee. I use a cup or a small pan strategically placed inside the porch near the inner tent door. When the need arises, I kneel up pull down the bag reach for the cup, do the business and throw the contents just outside the flysheet to one side. A little water to swill the cup out in the morning is sufficient before using same cup for a brew.
Dave.

Blimey! A cup??

I need a 2 litre empty plastic milk bottle after a few beers!!

xilios

Veteran
Rollon said:
Dave.

piss in a cup? just so you dont get out of the tent in the cold :blush:

Rollon said:
Dave.

How do you solve the no. 2 problem? Crap in the Trangia pot? :blush:

Top Bottom