keeping warm during camping

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ch3

How do you cope during cold/wet nights under a tent?
What's your most valuable piece of clothing or accessory that you wouldn't go touring without?
Will you still camp if it's cold, it's raining and you are already soaked? Or look for a hostel?
Any other tips would be highly appreciated.

The reason I am asking is because during the weekend, I visited my friend in Bristol and we spend a day just outside Swansea, where we camped for the night.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=brist...2162,-4.139442&spn=0.046678,0.089006&t=h&z=14

During the day the temperature was ok for a tShirt and mainly cloudy. But from midnight until the morning, it was raining rather heavily with loads of winds and lower temperatures. We had a big 4-5 men tent with a double blowup matrice sitting on a blanket, a proper duvet and pillows plus the heat of each other to keep warm. Last time I did camping was last summer in Greece where I slept comfortably even without a sleeping bag. But this Saturday, even with all these comforts, I had a little problem with the low temperature and the rain, which made me thinking about my first two months touring that I am about to start next month.

At the moment I've got:
A Snugpak sleeping bag which states comfort: 2c and low:-3c
One of these Self Inflating mats
And I am about to buy a 2men tent soon (maybe this), at the range of 70-100 pounds.

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
The roll mat will stop the cold ground from coming into contact with you body, whereas the "air bed" type mattress gets very cold and transfers the cold to you. If its only 3/4 length then you may find your feet get cold as they are on the floor. The sleeping bag is everything. years ago my wife and I bought proper down bags for a trip to europe at easter. It snowed in Belgium and we were very warm (actually too hot for me) I had to prize my wife out of the bag each morning into the cold morning air:biggrin:. You may fing that you have to wear some layers in you sleeping back if its not upto the job, but its better having to take off a t shirt or a pair of socks if you are too hat than having a cold draft down your neck because the bags too hot.

I don't think I've been to a campsite that doesn't have a shower. Get a travel towel they are brilliant,small, light and dry quickly. Have a shower to warm up. get dry. Job done! Wring the towel out and try to hang it up in the tent over night and it will probably be dry enough for the following morning.

most valuable kit..tea making stuff.
http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/news/article/mps/uan/622
The ability to stop and brew up should never be underestimated:biggrin::biggrin:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I've got a snugpak sleeping bag and I don't find the ratings that accurate - mine claims -2 comfort and -7 .... I'm not warm enough in it even with a liner and a fleece blanket at 5 degrees. We camped at the weekend and I was fine just in the bag but we didn't have bad weather.

As for camping gear to keep you warm - fleece jumper and socks in your sleeping bag. And make sure you don't get cold in the first place - you haven't got anywhere to warm yourself up other than a hot drink.

andym

Über Member
Greece versus just outside Swansea - I'll bet that was a bit of a shock.

I've been thinking about this myself as I've found that my previous sleeping bag was sometimes to warm and sometimes too cold depending on the altitude and the weather. In the end I went for a phd minimus bag with a silk liner and a Life systems fleece liner. I've also got various merino tops plus a set of thermal riding tights. Individually these are quite thin and light but I can then put one or more on as it gets cold. So if it gets really cold at night I can put on all my thermals and use the fleece inner lining for the bag. This seems to work reasonably well down to below zero even though the bag is quite light.

I'd definitely recommend investing money into merino thermal gear (Howies are the best). It's pricey but worth the investment.

Comatosed

The cold and we doesnt stop me camping. I've camped on Mull in over new year when it was -5.

Definatly use a roll mat to stop the cold creeping through, if you take an extra blanket put it under you not on top of you. Make sure you have dry clothes to change into and wear thin layers you can build up. Have a small bite to eat before bed as your body will use the energy to keep warm.

If it's raining, set your tent up in your we clothes and then chance into your dry clothes once you're set up, and have a nice warm drink. :evil:

RedBike

Change into dry warm clothes in the evening and leave them on when you go to bed. I'm a little bit too hot at the moment camping. Thought I was going to freeze to death earlier in the year when I woke up to find my tent was covered in ice.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Put more clothes on.

It's tempting to gather up a load of dry twigs and start a little campfire in the porch but I would resist the temptation as the smoke may make your clothes pong:biggrin:

This has been on my mind for a bit as we're off to the Alps for two weeks in August and I've been wondering if our Snugpack summer bags will be warm enough when we're higher up. I was thinking about getting one heavier bag so we could double up the other two if need be but don't want to lug any more weight over those cols if we don't need to, so I'm inclined to see how it goes and buy an extra bag out there if we need it.
We have multi-mats & will take a selection of layers we can ware on or off the bike and in bed if need be.

I find using the Exped Synmat with a 3 season Down Sleeping Bag with silk liner to be sufficient for the coldest nights. This year for around the campsite on cold nights before getting into bed I wear a Rab Generator Smock and find it great. Warmer and lighter than a fleece it packs down very small.

dragon72

Guru
Dave Davenport said:
I've been wondering if our Snugpack summer bags will be warm enough when we're higher up. quote]

I've camped high up in the Alps and Pyrenees in August using a Snugpak Softie Merlin and it's been fine. Just put on trousers and a jumper if you're chilly.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Your self-inflating mat should be warm enough at this time of year - it's probably OK down to about 5°.
If it's not very warm (below about 15°), and you aren't active enough to generate any body heat, it's very easy to chill off in camp if there isn't any sun. Thus you have to take extra clothing for the evening - think of what you might wear indoors in winter if the heating is turned to low. I also use a Rab Generator as something light and compact (jacket rather than smock). Down gilets are also quite popular.

Alves

Getting into your sleeping bag early on before you get cold and then reading or chatting. Think of it as clothing as well as bed when its cold.
I've often got my legs and waist into the sleeping bag as soon as it gets dark and long before I turn in to sleep. Best way to keep warm on a long cold evening in a tent.

rualexander

Legendary Member
A silk liner for your sleeping bag can make a big difference to your warmth for little weight/bulk. Merino thermals and a merino hat will also help to keep you toasty on chilly nights (Icebreaker are best in my opinion, but Kathmandu also have a range, as do many others nowadays).
On a budget, find a large newspaper, crumple up the pages and stuff them into your sleeping bag, or between the liner and the main bag if you have a liner.

ive got a small camping gas light - bungs out 80w not a lot but enough to take the chill off been invaluable a couple of times when temperture dropped below freezing when camping at height - also provides a good light

Top Bottom