keeping warm during camping

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

willem

Über Member
Bad weather can be beautiful, but also seriously uncomfortable and even dangerous. If budget is no real concern, this is what I would get for a longer solo bike tour:
Tent: Hilleberg Nallo 2. If you want a slightly sturdier but somewhat heavier version, get their Nammatj 2. The ultimate, simply.
Sleeping bag: PHD Minimus or Minimus 400 depending on required temperature range. For whet weather, choose the Dryshell Fabric.
Mattress: Exped Downmat 7 for below freezing, or the much lighter Thermarest Neoair for temperatures down to about 5 degrees.
A down gilet (mine only weighs 150 grams)
gloves, a buff, some warm socks, a pair of Sealskinz socks, waterproof clothing. Leg warmers to wear with your cycling shorts.

If budget matters, Alpkit do some nice stuff for rather lower prices than the premium gear.

In your case, you already have some gear that you probably do not want to throw away, even if it is more for summer than anything else. A down vest is probably the best way to extend your temperature range. You can wear it in the evening, but also inside your sleeping bag. Do get gloves and a buff or even a fleece hat as well. On long cold descends, wear your rain trousers. When you cross the Alps, you may have to stay in a hotel for one high and cold night.

Willem

ivanmathew

cheadle hulme said:
Blimey! A cup??

I need a 2 litre empty plastic milk bottle after a few beers!!

Here'ye! I second that, especially after a Gatorade bottle incident.. uhh.. anyways.. I didn't think we created less than close to 2L after a couple hours.

ivanmathew

Rollon said:
A little water to swill the cup out in the morning is sufficient before using same cup for a brew.
Dave.

Before swilling the cup out in the morning, shine it under black light and you'll be amazed at what reacts. :angry:

Rollon

Yes pee in a cup, or your Camel Back pouch, anything to avoid getting out of the tent. Thats what wild campers do in the valley or high up on the mountains. As you get older its a case of little but often, so if you are under 40 best take a bucket! As for a No2 during the night, well thats just plain bad planning!
Dave.

smeg

Rollon said:
Yes pee in a cup, or your Camel Back pouch, anything to avoid getting out of the tent. Thats what wild campers do in the valley or high up on the mountains.
No it's not I don't. We're not exactly talking about an expedition to the North Pole or up Everest here are we?

smeg

ivanmathew said:
Before swilling the cup out in the morning, shine it under black light and you'll be amazed at what reacts. :angry:
Exactly - urine is sterile when it's fresh, you can drink it which you probably wouldn't want to do unless absolutely necessary though! Peeing in something you're going to eat/drink out of is just bloody stupid - bacteria city, you'd have to clean it in bleach or something after which isn't generally something you'd bring along.

samid

Guru
IMHO: If you must, get yourself a dedicated pee bottle, and don't use it for anything else. FWIW, I've done a little bit of high mountain climbing, nothing too extreme though - and never had to resort to pee bottles or crap pots :smile: (was lucky I guess).

Top Bottom