Know any good regional/national expressions?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Bad aim?
"Couldn't hit a bull in the a$$ with a bass fiddle."

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
[QUOTE 3529742, member: 259"]Gooing round the Wrekin - West Midlands for the same thing.[/QUOTE]

Going round Dick's hatband. Actually only said by my Mother in Law. Her uncle was called Dick and he had an unusually large head

Brandane

Legendary Member
A measure of time used generally (I think) in Scotland is "the back of xx o'clock" . I once used that on an English person who wanted to know what time I would be home at, and when I told her "the back of 8 o'clock", she, and her friend, genuinely didn't have a clue what I meant!
It is a vague measurement of time, used when you're not sure of exact timing. The back of 8.00 could be anywhere between 8.01 and 9.00. Handy for using when you nip out for "a pint" and don't want to be tied down to returning at a specific time. "I'll be in at the back of ten!"

subaqua

What’s the point
Not an expression as such, but a word....Nesh, meaning to feel the cold.
"He's nesh". From south west midlands, Gloucs, Herefordshire and Worcestershire areas.
also North wales ( the brick towns )

subaqua

What’s the point
Very specific to Leicester, when in Engineering terms something is a loose fit.. "It's like chucking a sausage up Charles Street".

It can also be used when suggesting a lady is of easy virtue.

Northwich is " like chucking a sausage up witton street.

town I grew up in has loads

“Above a bit” - A great deal, substantial

“Chancechile” - An illegitimate Child

“Kabe” - Complain

“Llechy” - False; ingratiating; plausible (Welsh: “llechu” - covert)

“O’er the ‘ills - “send ‘im o’er the ‘ills” meant “send him to Denbigh Lunatic Asylum”

“Sennabund” - Constipated
  • Wunst every blue moon - rarely occurring
  • Thou fries me to death - the limit of boredom
  • A lick and a promise - a quick wash
  • Fasen the fost un fost - fasten the first one first
  • The daddy on um aw - the best of the lot
  • Husht thee naise - be quiet
  • I conna meke thee out - I can't understand you
  • Chunner - Complain

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
"Doylem" (Doylum) always makes me smile, don't hear it often and I've never heard it outside Leeds/Bradford.

Around fifteen years ago a colleague of mine, of the formal 'old school' type, used his surname followed by his first name as a log in password for his newly acquired school lap top. He was called Michael Doyle and the password was restricted to six letters and for some reason he was unable to change it. He would growl every time he logged in with DOYLEM - an autobigraphical insult.

Top Bottom