Know any good regional/national expressions?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

spen666

Legendary Member
two words from the North East.

Which you use identifies you as a Geordie or a Mackem

Ho'way
Ha'way

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
One of my work colleagues from Cork, when asked about something sometimes comes back with "I'll leave you know".
He is the only person I have ever heard say it.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
When I first worked in a timber yard a couple of the local lads had some charming sayings, don't know if they're Oxfordshire sayings or just their own inbred stuff;

Píss up your back - this means I don't believe you.
You ain't half sharp - this means you're thick.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
[QUOTE 3529199, member: 259"]All over the midlands, not just the SW. They even use the same word in Flemish.[/QUOTE]
And further north too. My Lancashire born & lifelong lived wife uses nesh all the time.

I'm another former resident of the NE who uses six and two threes.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
While there are a few Yorkshirists here, has anybody heard ''fond'' being used to mean not all there in the head? I heard it many years ago and it seemed very unusual back then. I didn't know whether it's still in use.

There's some strange ones in Brazilian Portuguese, I don't know if my teacher was just joshing me but apparently "at night all cats are brown", and my favourite: "a dog bitten by a snake is afraid of sausages"
I'll try and remember to ask the ships crew about those. The translation may be interesting.

Engineering one. 'take off half a gnats c*ck' - reduce something in size by a very small amount.

donnydave

Über Member
I'll try and remember to ask the ships crew about those. The translation may be interesting.

Engineering one. 'take off half a gnats c*ck' - reduce something in size by a very small amount.

I think the dog one is similar to "once bitten, twice shy" but three times better.

I was having a laugh with a colleague at work today as we were waiting for a very boring automated test to finish and he told me about one time he was on the toilet and leaned back (presumably in satisfaction at a job well done) and due to the position of the lever, accidentally flushed the toilet while he was still sat on it and gave himself, and I quote, a "Birmingham Bidet" and that his "Sherrif's badge" wasn't expecting it.

I apologise for lowering the tone but that had me in stitches earlier today, never heard either of those terms before. Don't know if they're regional, just slang I've never been in the right company to hear!

Brandane

Legendary Member
Here's another National Expression:

th

Dave 123

Legendary Member
So how about regional words for break time?

At work Tim uses the word "dockey". I've read somewhere that in days of old your employer would dock your pay for the time you were drinking tea.

Top Bottom