Know any good regional/national expressions?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Also heard that in the USA.
yup, I think that is original USAsian speak http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail39.html

Full as a catholic school; full as a goog (egg); roo loose in the top paddock; bangs like a dunny door in the wind; beyond the black stump; buckley's chance

oh, and "root" as in "to have sex with". Eg a mechanic might say "you're going to need a new engine, it's rooted" Also leads to a certain type of man being known as a wombat. Eats, roots and leaves.

pplpilot

Guru
'She will be round the back of Rackhams' being said about someone being promiscuous .

The back of Rackhams department store in Birmingham was once the red light area of Brum,

Or 'ill end up round the back of Rackhams at this rate' if one finds then self on ones 'uppers'

Dave 123

Legendary Member
And more Devonian...

My father in law once asked my mum (from Liverpool) this question..... she had to ponder, then translate in her head before replying
"Where Dave be to?"

donnydave

Über Member
my (southern) wife refuses to believe the following have ever been used by human beings in a sentence but these are all fairly common to me and she thinks I'm making them up

Skerrick - meaning a small amount (he ate every skerrick
skeg - to have a look at (I'm off to have a skeg at....)
went for a burton - to fall over

There's some strange ones in Brazilian Portuguese, I don't know if my teacher was just joshing me but apparently "at night all cats are brown", and my favourite: "a dog bitten by a snake is afraid of sausages"

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
skeg - to have a look at (I'm off to have a skeg at....)
went for a burton - to fall over

Being a right honourable southerner myself.
I haven't heard of the first 2.
And down 'ere, we say 'Goin' for a burton'

That must be a word that has disappeared in the last two hundred years and become a regional word. It's common in Australia (and NZ, apparently)

The US "fall" is an Elizabethan word that has vanished in the UK but is still used in America. I bet this is similar.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I was reminded, as I was making a bacon sandwich this morning, that my grandmother used to complain you were leaving 'holidays' if you didn't spread the butter evenly all over.
Also used in America for places missed in painting or coating something. Seems limited in usage to such fields.

Top Bottom