Leeds-Scarborough 30 September 2017: The White Rose Classic

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
What are the hills like on the hilly version relative to the hills on the hilly version of this year's Llandudno ride? They look significantly harder on my OS map in which case I would have to choose between gears for the hilly route or singlespeed for the flatter one.

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
What are the hills like on the hilly version relative to the hills on the hilly version of this year's Llandudno ride? They look significantly harder on my OS map in which case I would have to choose between gears for the hilly route or singlespeed for the flatter one.
If you remember we had a hard climb from Flint, then a rolling plateau, then a steep descent into Prestatyn

The climbing on this route has nothing like as hard as that climb out of Flint.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
I just remember it going up , up and up some more.

Speaking of climbing Welsh mountains :smile: How did the Wales in a Day sportive go?
I did the C2C in a day again this year and was thinking 3 times is enough... I'm considering WIAD next year - was it as tough as advertised?

ColinJ

If you remember we had a hard climb from Flint, then a rolling plateau, then a steep descent into Prestatyn

The climbing on this route has nothing like as hard as that climb out of Flint.
I'll give it go then, unless the weather turns out grim or I am pressed for time. I suspect that @Littgull will opt for the hilly version too if I do because we normally ride together and catch the same trains to and from rides.

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I'll give it go then, unless the weather turns out grim or I am pressed for time. I suspect that @Littgull will opt for the hilly version too if I do because we normally ride together and catch the same trains to and from rides.

The idea is that we all leave Malton together. Those that prefer the flatter, shorter route (the same as last year) take that one. Those that fancy a blowing away of the cobwebs take the hillier, longer route

If you take the hillier route it will be a bit of an every man for himself as we will have to push on to get to the chippy at the same time as the flat-earthers

Malton to Scarborough on the flat route is 25 miles, via the hilly route it is 30. So I reckon it should be possible to get to the chippy about the same time so long as those that do the hilly route push on a bit

I think I'll stick with the flat route again this year. I got 'lost' on the hilly bit of the Llandudno ride in May (no fault of @nickyboy - he came back and found us and his directions were clear enough) but I never made the chippy in time and only just got the train. I don't want to run the risk of a race against time in the event of a puncture etc and it was such an enjoyable ride last year.

Oldfentiger

Veteran
My plans have been stymied, unfortunately.
We have some friends coming up from darn sarf, and we're going to the firework championships in Southport.
Being a bloke I forgot all about it. :banghead:
Being a female, Mrs OFT reminded me about it. :surrender:
Sorry I can't make it this year. I'll try again next year.
Have a good ride everyone.

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
Speaking of climbing Welsh mountains :smile: How did the Wales in a Day sportive go?
I did the C2C in a day again this year and was thinking 3 times is enough... I'm considering WIAD next year - was it as tough as advertised?

It was hard but very do able, its more the time your out there that grinds you down and having the bigger climbs nearer the end, the last stop at around 160 miles everyone was just looking totally empty , i would say to anyone do the coast to coast , so as youve already done that and know what is all about you should go for it, if only the once.
Have a look at the post i did afterwards in the "your ride" thread
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/your-ride-today.173254/post-4897581

Last edited:

Buck

Guru
The idea is that we all leave Malton together. Those that prefer the flatter, shorter route (the same as last year) take that one. Those that fancy a blowing away of the cobwebs take the hillier, longer route

If you take the hillier route it will be a bit of an every man for himself as we will have to push on to get to the chippy at the same time as the flat-earthers

Malton to Scarborough on the flat route is 25 miles, via the hilly route it is 30. So I reckon it should be possible to get to the chippy about the same time so long as those that do the hilly route push on a bit

I'll decide on the day depending on the legs but do like a hill or two so always tempted. Even on the Llandudno ride I did the hilly one even though I was still recovering from being rather ill for a few weeks and should have stayed on the flat! Challenge always trumps common sense for me!

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
:cry:

Have fun! If things change I might still be able to join you.:okay:

Sadly I'm definitely out as I'm at a thing in Birmingham the evening before so won't be back in Leeds until at least lunchtime on Saturday. :sad:
I'll be hoping you get another tailwind like last year and might even have fish n chips for tea in tribute to your efforts though.

Any plans for 2018 yet? :laugh:

ColinJ

I think I'll stick with the flat route again this year. I got 'lost' on the hilly bit of the Llandudno ride in May (no fault of @nickyboy - he came back and found us and his directions were clear enough) but I never made the chippy in time and only just got the train. I don't want to run the risk of a race against time in the event of a puncture etc and it was such an enjoyable ride last year.
Hmm ... I recall the stress of waiting at the station for you and alibaba to arrive! I don't fancy experiencing that stress in Scarborough (potentially inflicted by me grovelling in at the last minute) and I agree that it was nice to arrive with plenty of time to spare last year so I will be sensible and use the singlespeed bike on the flatter route with you! :okay:

Freds Dad

Veteran
After a final CT scan on my knee and a discussion with the consultant I unfortunately will have to withdraw from the ride as he is concerned that 80 miles of cycling may not be the best thing for my damaged knee and I don't want to be in a position where I am slowing others down.

I had already bought train tickets from Manchester Airport to Leeds with a bike reservation and a return from Scarborough to Manchester Airport also with a bike reservation so if anyone would like these free of charge to use then please contact me.

Enjoy the ride and see you next year.

Top Bottom