Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fonze

Totally obsessive , cool by nature
My ride today consisted of avoiding a car overtaking a bus , although I hugged the curb to the pavement , the old f@@k**r decided not to look at me and chatter with his passenger until he nearly touched my front tyre with his bumper ..
Fist shaking , I wasn't best pleased .. and pretty shook up ..
Most cars on my rides I feel give a good distance and it's not really bothered me of late as I'm not someone who's been road riding for long , but I have the feeling a few near misses of late will ultimately lead to a clip by a vehicle ..

Hang on, you cannot leave it dangling . . .

Please tell us more.

Since I first came out this way, I've always wondered why there was a discrepancy in some of the road names and why some seemed to be missing - there were once seven Droves in total, but now there are only four of them.

My neighbour insisted that they are still roads in use for public access using motor vehicles. The current maps disagree.

One is still marked as a track on the OS map, but it's no longer named as a Drove and is only accessible via private property - a goods yard for a local haulage firm. So suspect it's permissive access as opposed to public.

Another is not marked on the OS map at all. It is now just a field boundary that is used for machinery access. You can see where someone's garden used to be as there are two cherry trees growing in the hedgerow about 30m away from the road it once formed a junction with. I called up the local authority's master map for public rights of way and it doesn't exist on that, so on that basis, it must now be private land.

The third is actually now a public footpath.

We had £20 riding on it that he could still drive his car down all of them.

Old jon

Guru
Since I first came out this way, I've always wondered why there was a discrepancy in some of the road names and why some seemed to be missing - there were once seven Droves in total, but now there are only four of them.

My neighbour insisted that they are still roads in use for public access using motor vehicles. The current maps disagree.

The third is actually now a public footpath.

We had £20 riding on it that he could still drive his car down all of them.

Thanks for that, I was, naturally, interested. Could be interesting, riding along a disappeared road!!
Enjoy spending the £20!
jon

Thanks for that, I was, naturally, interested. Could be interesting, riding along a disappeared road!!
Enjoy spending the £20!
jon

YVW xxx :okay:

The National Library of Scotland has a map archive with a really cool feature that lets you overlay old maps (1880s thru to 1960s) over current aerial photography. Was amazing to see how much the area has changed over the years.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
3 rides on this new tandem and there has been rain on all of them!

We did a Gransdens loop, so the first 10 miles was in to a headwind. This new bike is so much quicker to ride, bigger wheels, lighter frame etc so we were flying.
Once in Great Gransdens we went to look at Lindas house (works with Mrs Dave) as her house has just been re thatched
FullSizeRender.jpg

Nice gaff eh?

On the way back, approaching the maggot farm we saw a rainbow
IMG_4217.JPG

From Little Gransden to Longstowe we were in a light shower, more cooling than anything.

So just over 20 miles at an average of 15.9mph without going mad. It would have been 10/11 on the Thorn.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1104434398

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Margaret PR and me only today. We took a fairly standard run out to Pendock and then on down for Blackwells End and Highleadon. The plan was to head into GV territory for Birdwood and Northwood Green. Today we turned away for Blaisdon for the very under used Velthouse lane. Indeed I think this is the first time I'd ever ridden it in this direction. We emerged onto the main Monmouth road to turn uphill for Hart's Barn. It was quite busy with the lunchtime rush but we got a table in the garden. We had just got our order served when on came one of the forecast showers. We grabbed a sunshade - well they do work as umbrellas too. That shower passed over eventually and out came the sun

Cafe legs screamed as we set off uphill for Mitcheldean where we could leave the main road behind. The ride up onto the first ridge is superb when the air is clear as the views out to the Welsh hills dominates. We could also see our second ridge curving away and to our right May Hill popped into view. On the Linton ridge we could see way over to the Malverns on our left and on our right the Welsh hills were still magnificent. The Marcles lay ahead. What a superb bit of unknown and quiet lane. At Linton we took an unusual jink by Tedgewood. I'm not sure I've ever actually ridden those two lanes. Soon enough we were on very familiar territory for Kempley and Dymock. On the run for Ryton I decided on a whim to jink to Brooms Green from where it became a standard run back through the Castlemorton lanes. At Tunnel Hill we paused to say our goodbyes. Three steam engines came passed. A Traction engine and two Rollers. There's a Steam rally at Welland so plenty more to view there this weekend. I jinked around the rally site to stay out of the way as it gets quite busy with folks turning up for the weekend. All good tho' as that's extra miles. 75 smiles on this one.

[QUOTE 4877881, member: 9609"]I just love the roads round here, 42 mile the night and I think I was just passed by 5 cars
sometimes I think I could just pedal my bike for ever more

View attachment 361876

View attachment 361877

View attachment 361875 nearly got flattened here, a few days old calf suddenly popped out of the side, the mother panicked and ran at me, thankfully she stopped when I yelled at her

View attachment 361873
View attachment 361874 [/QUOTE]
Love the bike a real cyclist obviously.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Another slower ride toay, this time on the Giant flat bar. I needed to book the car in to have the hatch struts replaced (Mazda recall), but rather than make a short phone call, I decided to cycle up to the dealer to make the booking and then carry on where the mood took me.

In the end the route was very similar to the one I took on Tuesday when on the Ventus - Levington, Nacton, Ipswich, Sproughton and Bramford (where an extra loop was added), a stop for a photo for the "bike in front of a gate thread"
Train.jpg

then into Claydon
Claydon Bench.jpg

where I took an off road shortcut to Westerfield and into Rushmere St Andrew and shelter under the trees near the duck pond while a heavy shower passed. The duck pond appears to have been used by someone to empty the contents of their garden pond as there's at least 3 large carp(?) and a vast number of goldfish of various sizes. One of the big ones seems not long for this world due to a kink in its back as can be seen here on the left
Rushmere Duck Pond (1).jpg

They appear to be a decent size (with a duck for comparison below), but the pond is severly clogged up with weeds and other debris as a tree was blown into it earlier in the year and only the trunk & larger branches were removed, plus the only source of fresh water is road run off and rain.
Rushmere Duck Pond (3).jpg

Once the rain had stopped I set off for home on the usual route via Bucklesham and the sun finally came out for what seemed like the first time this week just as I put the bike into the shed.
https://www.strava.com/activities/1104380708

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I got out with Doug again today for an ill advised ride. The forecast looked alright with it dry for the morning then rain from about 2pm but when we were ready to set out there were dark clouds to the west.

After waiting around for an hour and only getting drizzle in that time I suggested packing waterproofs and just going for it anyway so we did.

The aim was to do another hilly ride so we headed over Lyth Hill and on our way to Oaks. On the climb up Lyth Hill there was an unusual amount of traffic. There is a set of roadworks on the A49 and it had backed up so far that people were coming over the hill to jump the queue. When we got to the top we could see that it was backed up to the junction for Stapleton - a good two miles of standing traffic.

Dropping down through Exfords Green and onto Long Lane, the drizzle was back and at the end of Long Lane the waterproofs were dragged out. We had a slow but steady climb to Oaks, then dropped down to Wrentnall to tackle the two steep climbs of the day on the back road to Pulverbatch.

The heavy drizzle didn't let up and when we got to Wilderley we chose to head back along Wilderley Lane to Stapleton rather than carrying on to Dorrington as per the original plan. This was a nice long stretch of downhill which helped a lot with the very slow average speed we'd managed so far.

The roads were bone dry at Stapleton but we weren't and we could see that the next lot of rain was rolling in so we headed back over Lyth Hill and made use of a shortcut on the way home.

18.2 miles at 10.4 mph average Drying off now

DSC0004843.jpg

Crossing Lyth Hill at the start. Dry at the moment.

DSC0004846.jpg

A few people rat-running.

DSC0004848.jpg

Up at the top of the hill Doug grabs a photo.

DSC0004849.jpg

Oaks and the weather has deteriorated.

DSC0004853.jpg

En route to Wilderley. On a clear day you can see the view.

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
12027385_1017426321636098_6875294260736336347_o.jpg

One day in July, in the land of Valleys & Dragons

Just over a year or so ago upon completing a very pleasurable ride from Seascale to Whitby on a sunny day in June with Open Cycling who organised the “Coast to Coast in Day”, there on my screen was a promotion for 2017 “Wales in a Day” to which the words “not a chance” were heard to leave my lips.

Each time I opened my computer the promotional adverts seemed to follow me, enticing my interest and “could I do it” thoughts started to creep in, 185miles + start and finish mileage and between 4500 & 5000m of ascent all in one day.

In a mad rush of blood to the head, I pressed the keys and I was entered for the 2017 “wales in a day” ride.

So as not to suffer the day on my own I passed on all the plus points of a day’s riding the lush Welsh Valleys to my mate Andy who was taken in hook line and sinker, so had someone to complain to on the way about the climbing and distance left to the finish.

On the morning of 21st of July this year we were up bright and early to drive to Chepstow, drop the car off and get on the train back up to Caernarfon, it only goes to Bangor as they must have ran out of line or interest when it was built, and so a bus was enlisted to get to the start.

After smoothly registering at the rugby club and watching those who chose to use the coach transfer taking their bikes out of bike boxes and assemble then in a field I was glad I chose the train and not the coach.

So there we were on the 22nd at 3am in the morning waking to the buzz of the alarm and a cup of coffee, getting quickly dressed and tip toeing down the stairs, which seemed a bit academic as most of the hotels other occupants were doing the same.

20258100_10155552462683351_7931069695253860617_n.jpg

20247722_1577665385612186_3949864120687352258_o - Copy.jpg

The day started inside the formidable Caernarfon castle, how forward thinking of King Edward I in 1283 to have the forethought to build such an impressive place for the start of our ride.

Off we went from the start at 4.15 on a bright moon lit night, off uphill as with most rides that start from the coast seem inevitable to do, up to Llanberis and the Pen-y-pass, over the top past the youth hostel and off down to Capel Curig before cycling through a normally traffic choked Betws-y-coed and on to our first stop of the day at Conwy Falls Café, entering to the unmistakable smell of bacon butties and porridge.

20170722_060519.jpg

After eating it was off onto the B4406 towards Penmachno the second big climb of the day, up through the forest and onto the climb, a pretty easy one as it was early in the day with no real steep parts just a long (7.7km 4.8mile) climb, rising up from the trees and vegetation to become moorland at the very top.

Sat near the top was one of the Open cycling photographers so it was breath in and smile time.

20248214_1578795345499190_734875803371141065_o.jpg

Over the moors on narrow roads bereft of cars the sun was now out and the day warming up, on we went following the signs for Bala.

On the drop down to the lake I was looking forward to the second stop and some more food and coffee, we were not disappointed with the selection and quantity.

As with the last stop they had a big monitor up showing the position on the road of all the other riders, it was good to see where we were in relation to all the other riders.

The pattern of “After a feed station comes a big climb” seemed to be emerging, and we were not to be disappointed as the road pitched up and off we went on to through Rhos –y-Gwaliau and as we rounded the corner got our first glimpse of the top of the Hirnant, a long straight climb showing your way all the way to its top before you have even started the climb.

After 8.7km / 5.4mile climbing again we were given great views from the top, to be followed by a fast descent down to and along the banks of Lake Vyrnwy which is spectacular.

Upon reaching 100 Houses and the next food stop the time and distance was starting to tell, with cyclists walking about with a lot less sparkle than at previous feed stations, but again great food and lots of coffee or Tea.

20170722_115515.jpg

The Garmin was on its last legs so I took this opportunity to plug into the power pack I had carried all day and was pretty much back to full charge before we set off on the next leg, I am not sure if this was down to a fast charging power pack or a slow willingness to get back on the bike.

Next up was Gospel pass and as Thomas Gray wrote “ignorance is bliss” and not being familiar with the climb this proved a meaningful quote, but before we got to the pass there was a hill that must be up there with the steepest and baddest in the land, not many got up this beast of a hill , being not only steep but soooo long.

This was just a taste of the pass we were heading towards and as we got on to the bottom section and it ramped up and up it was time for a walk, and to be honest walking up through the trees on a very pleasant evening with not a breath of wind listening to the brook babble and birds twitter it was quite enjoyable.

As the ascent eased off I was back on the bike and set off up to the top.

Gospel pass is a legendry cat 2 climb and rises to 458m over 8.8km /5.5mile and has more than its fair share of sheep.

If the ascent was enjoyable it did not carry on as the descent was a series of twists and bends leading into a tiny track under the trees with mud and gravel covering most of the road, this seemed to go on for ever as the road twisted its way down towards Abergavenny in which I thought I would find the last food stop (it turned out to be another twenty minutes past the centre) and the previously advertised pizza as the special of the night.

It was on this slow descent I started to work out the time and distance to the hotel which had a time of 11pm for last check-ins, as I tried to make my cotton wool fuzzy brain work it out and it became clear there was more distance than time available between us.

So as I sat eating Pizza in the last food stop thinking about which park bench I might be sleeping on that night, we decided it was just going to be a dash for the cash, or in this case a bed.

The last 26miles from the stop to the finish are probably the hardest and fastest I have ever done, after spinning up a long hill from the last food stop it was head down and hitting 30mph all the way along the tops and then flat out down towards the coast at Chepstow, and just to be sure I went straight to the hotel and checked in before going back to the route and to the finish.

As a cruel last twist the finish had been moved from the castle which is situated at the bottom of the hill in Chepstow to St Johns on the hill which was at the top of the next hill, so even though it was no mountain, after 185 miles it was down into the granny gear and a slow crawl up to the entrance, to be replaced by an instant return of energy when the finish line came into view.
20287120_1579912138720844_1932304436734262320_o.jpg

0.jpg

Looking back on the day it was an epic of a journey, a whole country in one day and seeing it in detail on a bike using small lanes is the best way to see the countryside and (hardly any cars all day) it will stay in the memory for a long long time.

This was my longest day in the saddle, as I’m sure it was for the majority of riders on the event, but the sense of achievement and reward it has given is immense.

If you were to ask should I do this ride, I would not be so keen to say YES as much as I would to the “Coast to Coast in a Day” (again by Open Cycling) but if you want to do something that will put a smile on your face for a very long time then go for it .

Figures by Garmin

Distance 186.3 (including my excursion to the hotel on the way to the finish)

Time 18hrs .33mm , moving time 13hrs 55min @ 12.1mph av
Started @ 4.15am , finished at 10.45pm

So to Wales a big fat “Diolch”, I would love to do it all again but not all in the same day next time

Some photos of the day from the Open Cycling website
19243073_1580873465291378_6158550786333018554_o.jpg

Attachments

• 20280569_1580875301957861_2975684560197403282_o.jpg
    20280569_1580875301957861_2975684560197403282_o.jpg
    255.2 KB · Views: 43
Did a really good ride

Headed via Wraysbury, Datchet, Elton and Dorney to Maidenhead.
Somewhere on the way, when stopping at roadworks, the Garmin locked up.
I had to forcibly reboot it. First bit of the ride was not lost but had to start the second bit of the ride as a new ride.

From Maidenhead went to Bray, and Holyport, somewhere around there I lost the route, but rather than cut across, I retraced my steps and picked up the route ok.

Kept on the A330 (which is the bottom part of the Drift Road loop)' coming off on Lovel Road to the road skirting Windsor Great Park, as I always say, it is a bit up and down. On reaching the A30, immediately turned of to Virginia Water and Thorpe to Chertsey and then home

Ther was a bit of a Wind and some parts were inevitably against.
Crossing Dorney Common there were strong gusts from the side, causing me and bike to bank suddenly.

Managed to keep up a really good pace.

38.8 miles in total @ 17.44 mph.
794 feet climbed

https://www.strava.com/activities/1105392400 for the first 6.4 miles
https://www.strava.com/activities/1105393975 for the next 32.4

Pleased at my increasing speed

Old jon

Guru
Its Friday! A good excuse for a ride today. The grey cell had already devised a route, all by itself, before I thought to check the tyre pressures. It ( grey cell ) had also remembered I had to deliver some bits in Headingley, so the early bit of the ride was in that direction.

So, tyre pressures checked, all the usual stuff fitted to the fixed and off I went. The bottom end of Dewsbury Road has just had a cycle track fitted. The surface is washboard, without the musical rhythm the real thing provides. Riding on to it is less than easy and it dumps you off a silly distance from the lights. Zero out of ten, Highways Department.

Onto Jack Lane for the quiet trundle onto and off Water Lane, onto the towpath at Office Lock and off again at Viaduct Road for the ride up Cardigan Road to Headingley and the diversion along Wood Lane to discharge my postman duty for the day. Back on the usual route up to Lawnswood and across the Ring Road, then turn right onto Church Lane to pass Adel Church and the dam of the same name. Along the road towards Eccup but turn left at the first opportunity, as if heading for Black Hill Road and again take the left towards Bramhope, King’s Road I think. Turn right at the roundabout and right again a little further on, which is Creskeld Lane. A rather wonderful drop into Wharfedale, and the first time I have tried it on the fixed. Fun times and windmilling legs on a steep narrow road.

All good things reach bottom eventually, the good old A 659 in this case, for the ride through Pool and into Otley. Which means all the height so happily lost has to be climbed again. The Leeds Road, as almost ever, all the way back to Headingley. Right turn to descend to Kirkstall and return to the towpath. Office Lock, Water Lane towards Great Wilson Street, and a wind down pedal up the hill and home. Thirty and one half miles, nothing spectacular but very satisfying.

Random Road Knotting by Garmin

28072017.jpg

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Out fairly early for a Saturday. It would have been earlier, but the stoker had other ideas!

We had a breezy ride out through a Knapwell, buzzards and greenfinch about, and then into Connington. The Gloucester cattle were hooting excitedly as there was a dog being walked down the lane.
Through the back way into Hilton and on to Graveley.

We stopped at Waresley GC, the custard tart was lovely, a slight crunch to the pastry!

Back via the Gransdens where a big old crew were filming something or other. Maybe they were filming ultra rare Cambridgeshire rainless skies...

IMG_4221.JPG

Not quite tropical weather, but better than it has been.

33 enjoyable miles.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1106734797/

Top Bottom