Leeds-Scarborough 30 September 2017: The White Rose Classic

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

si_c

Guru
Any chance you can arrange for the wind to swap round to a nice brisk NE for the Sunday please @nickyboy
Don't ask that. He'll just end up organising it for the Saturday...

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
They key word here is Tailwind. Not headwind, Tailwind.

Besides given your previous estimates of headwind strength this will probably be a category 2 tailwind :boxing:
It has to be a moderate tailwind! Anything more than that would be horribly frustrating for me because I would have to spin like mad on my singlespeed to get it up to wind-assisted speed and then freewheel again until the bike slowed back to a more easily pedal-able speed.

The same gearing issue absolutely precludes horrid headwinds. None of them - THANK YOU!

@Littgull and I have tickets booked on the 18:50 train from Scarborough. The bike places were already reserved so we will have to take our chances - fingers crossed that we do not get a jobsworth guard.

Freds Dad

Veteran
It has to be a moderate tailwind! Anything more than that would be horribly frustrating for me because I would have to spin like mad on my singlespeed to get it up to wind-assisted speed and then freewheel again until the bike slowed back to a more easily pedal-able speed.

The same gearing issue absolutely precludes horrid headwinds. None of them - THANK YOU!

@Littgull and I have tickets booked on the 18:50 train from Scarborough. The bike places were already reserved so we will have to take our chances - fingers crossed that we do not get a jobsworth guard.

I had a bike space booked on the 18:50 but cancelled it yesterday so it should still be available.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Slight change of plan for me.. I have to get back at a reasonable time on Sunday so I'm not going to have time to ride back.... I've booked the 10:50am train back to Huddersfield.

Buck

Guru
We're booked on the 18:50 and have bike reservations ^_^

Hopefully there will be a sensible guard for you.

si_c

Guru
Finally got around to booking train tickets, on the 20.50 from Scarborough to Liverpool (at least I'll have time for a couple of beers). Also on the 7am train from Liverpool, means I change at Manchester Picadilly, but will arrive at 8.46.

Freds Dad

Veteran
I tried booking it when I went to pick up my ticket but I was told that all the spaces were reserved so it looks like someone else beat me to it!

I'm sure you can charm the guard to let you on. I was offering my tickets and cycle space for free earlier in the thread but there weren't any takers.

doughnut

Veteran
Its starting to look a bit iffy for me I'm afraid. Seems like I have picked up a bug or something from somewhere. I collapsed at the gym on Monday, massively overheating and have had a fever all night for a couple of nights now. I'm still making it to work ok but I'm running on 3 cylinders at the moment and I have lost about 5lbs in weight in the last week. Not sure if I will have the energy for the ride on Saturday since right now its taking all my energy just to get out of bed in the morning. I think I can cancel my B+B at latest on Thursday to get my money back, so I will see how I feel tomorrow morning. Unfortunately, it would mean that Mrs Doughnuts bag carrying service wouldn't be available.

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Its starting to look a bit iffy for me I'm afraid. Seems like I have picked up a bug or something from somewhere. I collapsed at the gym on Monday, massively overheating and have had a fever all night for a couple of nights now. I'm still making it to work ok but I'm running on 3 cylinders at the moment and I have lost about 5lbs in weight in the last week. Not sure if I will have the energy for the ride on Saturday since right now its taking all my energy just to get out of bed in the morning. I think I can cancel my B+B at latest on Thursday to get my money back, so I will see how I feel tomorrow morning. Unfortunately, it would mean that Mrs Doughnuts bag carrying service wouldn't be available.

We need to crowdfund Mrs D to keep the bag carrying service

Seriously, hope you feel well enough to join us. In any case, get well soon

si_c

Guru

Sorry to hear that. Get well soon.

Top Bottom