Leeds-Scarborough 30 September 2017: The White Rose Classic

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Buck

Guru
Its starting to look a bit iffy for me I'm afraid. Seems like I have picked up a bug or something from somewhere. I collapsed at the gym on Monday, massively overheating and have had a fever all night for a couple of nights now. I'm still making it to work ok but I'm running on 3 cylinders at the moment and I have lost about 5lbs in weight in the last week. Not sure if I will have the energy for the ride on Saturday since right now its taking all my energy just to get out of bed in the morning. I think I can cancel my B+B at latest on Thursday to get my money back, so I will see how I feel tomorrow morning. Unfortunately, it would mean that Mrs Doughnuts bag carrying service wouldn't be available.

Get well soon Doug - these bugs are really debilitating and frustrating - I had another last week but luckily bounced back in 48 hours - it's weird how we can do that sometimes but if you can get the bug out of your system (in more ways than one!) and keep hydrated you'll be chipper again soon.

Buck

Guru
How many are actually going to turn up. Is it time to do a final(ish) round up of attendees so we all know roughly who we are expecting to meet on the morning?

Good idea.

@nickyboy are you able to roll call the troops?

Me and my man Gil are prep'd and will be there for 9am.

doughnut

Veteran
Thanks guys, hopefully its just a passing bug. Super embarressing at the gym when I fell off the spin bike, though I did get loads of free food and drink from the cafe. Not so great having someone standing next to me while I had a shower to make sure I didn't keel over again though.

wanda2010

Guru
Sorry to hear that Doughnut. You take care. Yes to crowdfund Mrs Doughnut................. for Llandudno next year ^_^

I'm still signed up for the ride cos I have hotels and trains booked.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
@Littgull and I are booked up and ready to roll!

The forecast is looking good, with the MODERATE tailwind that I was looking for. If we do get that then I will be bimbling along between Malton and Scarborough at 20 mph, the perfect speed for the gear that I chose for the singlespeed bike.

We are looking to add the extra miles needed for an imperial century but don't intend to do the hillier version of the route. I think I might leave the cafe stops before everyone else, ride for 5 miles, then turn and head back to meet up with the other riders again. If that doesn't make up the difference then I can get off the train home at Hebden Bridge instead of Todmorden and do another 5 miles that way.

GWS @doughnut!

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Thanks guys, hopefully its just a passing bug. Super embarressing at the gym when I fell off the spin bike, though I did get loads of free food and drink from the cafe. Not so great having someone standing next to me while I had a shower to make sure I didn't keel over again though.

What you need is a nice refreshing dose of sea air. I can recommend the East coast of Yorkshire this time of year. Perhaps you could get the lovely Mrs Doughnut to drive you out somewhere this weekend. In fact, if you can be at Leeds station round about 9am we can give her some directions...........

Seriously though GWS @doughnut :smile:

Julia9054

Guru
Hi guys
Looking forward to this. As we did last year, we will be cycling on our own from Knaresborough to Malton and meeting you all there. An estimated time you will be arriving in Malton would be helpful. Al will be bringing the Garmin this year to make sure he doesn't get lost! I have just booked bike spaces on the 19.50 train as @Buck has the ones on the 18.50 so may just have to go to the pub for an hour!

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Hi guys
Looking forward to this. As we did last year, we will be cycling on our own from Knaresborough to Malton and meeting you all there. An estimated time you will be arriving in Malton would be helpful. Al will be bringing the Garmin this year to make sure he doesn't get lost! I have just booked bike spaces on the 19.50 train as @Buck has the ones on the 18.50 so may just have to go to the pub for an hour!

The weather is pretty similar to last year so what time did we actually get there? I can't remember. We will be in the Yorkshire Tearooms but if you want to go to that posh place instead like last year that's fine

@si_c are you glypseing?

si_c

Guru
The weather is pretty similar to last year so what time did we actually get there? I can't remember. We will be in the Yorkshire Tearooms but if you want to go to that posh place instead like last year that's fine

@si_c are you glypseing?

Possibly I can do yes. Having battery issues on my phone, so I'll need to arrange a power bank, will dig them out and put them on charge.

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I know I've not been on the ball as much as usual on this ride but I've just spent flipping ages going over all the posts and the following is the list of participants. It's based on anyone who has said "yes" or "maybe" and hasn't subsequently pulled out

@Crackle
@I like Skol
@wanda2010
@Littgull
@ColinJ
@Julia9054 +1 (meet Malton)
@Kestevan
@Buck +1
@DiddlyDodds
@Moodyman
@si_c
@alibaba

My mate Wayne who came on the Huddersfield ride

If any of the above aren't going to be able to make it please let me know asap. Don't just not turn up as I will end up waiting for you unnecessarily

Needless to say, anyone who hasn't signed up is more than welcome for a nice social ride in what seems to be very pleasant weather

Last edited:
Sorry folks but i just havent got the mileage in this past few months to guarentee making it there let alone back again:angry:

Top Bottom