Leeds-Scarborough 30 September 2017: The White Rose Classic

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Quick heads up that I will be on this train to Leeds

07:40 to Hull
TimeStation
  • 07:40Manchester Piccadilly
  • 07:52Stalybridge
  • 08:12Huddersfield
  • 08:23Dewsbury
  • 08:38Leeds
I will get on in Stalybridge. There are cafes etc on the concourse where you get off the trains if you need something

Note that we are meeting outside the SOUTH exit from the station, not the main exit. When you get off your train, follow signs for SOUTH EXIT or GRANARY WHARF

If you go via the main exit you will have a long detour to get to the meet up place

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
This is the Yorkshire Tea Rooms that will be our lateish lunch stop in Malton @ about 54 miles. Reason I'm posting the screenshot is that the route goes past the front door of the Tea Rooms but pay attention, otherwise you will miss it.

I will stand outside and guide folk in as best I can but you need to be on the lookout.

Last year, the staff let us keep our bikes in a locked garden around the back....up the alley to the right of the shop. So when you get there, wheel your bike up there

2017-09-28.png

doughnut

Veteran
Sorry, but I'm going to bail out of this one. I've lost more weight since earlier in the week and still not got energy to do much at all. Gutted, because this is an excellent ride and the weather forecast looks great.

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Sorry, but I'm going to bail out of this one. I've lost more weight since earlier in the week and still not got energy to do much at all. Gutted, because this is an excellent ride and the weather forecast looks great.

Big unlike for this but hope you feel better soon

So, in related matters, surely the ride leader can't be expected to carry his own bag can he????

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Sorry to hear that you're not well, Doughnut. Get yourself to the doc!
:hugs:

si_c

Guru

Probably for the best. As @theclaud says, if you're losing significant amounts of weight, get yourself to the GP and get checked out, better safe than sorry.

Hope you're feeling better soon!

doughnut

Veteran
@doughnut - sounds a bit worrying, but hope will be resolved soonest. Although, being honest, I'll miss Mrs Doughnut a bit more than your good self, cos she is a very good chip shop companion ;)^_^.

Yes, she was all set to tell you about the 6 day cycling tour we both went on and how many of your touring tips we used along the way.

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
About T-42 hours so time for a weather update....

You're in luck again on this ride. Looks like it's

a) Dry the whole way
b) Cross/tailwind first half then tailwind second half
c) Sunny start then maybe clouding over a bit in the afternoon
d) Shorts temperatures

For those that haven't done the ride before, there are some very open and exposed stretches, particularly the "middle" bit. So a tailwind whipping us along will be very welcome. All things being equal, should be no problem to get to Scarborough in time for everyone to have fish and chips, a beer or two and then trains home if not stopping over

May give the ride a miss on Sunday as it looks wet and windy (and I will be full of Wetherspoons brekkie)

si_c

Guru
*puts temp mudguards back in the box*

A tailwind is the only way I'll vaguely arrive before the chippy shuts, I reckon ^_^.

It's worth bearing in mind for everyone that Malton is only a short hop on the train line to Scarborough if anyone needs a bailout option beyond 50 miles.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
It's worth bearing in mind for everyone that Malton is only a short hop on the train line to Scarborough if anyone needs a bailout option beyond 50 miles.
True, but it would be a shame to miss out on the tailwind!

It may be (d) Shorts temperatures but it will also be (e) Dodgy veins in left leg, so I will be wearing (baggy) shorts but I will also be wearing knee-length compression socks, as I did last year.

si_c

Guru
True, but it would be a shame to miss out on the tailwind!

It would very much be a shame, but unlike Nick's Llandudno ride, where there are multiple options for bailing out if feeling unwell or unable to finish, Malton is pretty much the only place to do so on this ride, short of diverting into York.

I just felt it prudent to mention it now rather than someone needing it on Saturday and being unaware.

Last edited:
Top Bottom