LEL 2017

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

redfalo

known as Olaf in real life
A lot of riders charge lights/Garmins and other gadgets at the controls.

You might not stop long enough for a full charge, but it's worth bearing in mind you can get a decent top-up.
I would not rely on being able to charge devices at the controls. There will be dozens others trying to do the same, and only so many sockets. Better chuck a couple of decent battery packs in your bag drops.

My experience of those is that they leak.
Of course, any liquid you carry has the potential to leak. 15ml of oil would not be the greatest disaster, though I think I will put it in a zip lock bag to reduce the chances of something bad happening.

The only other liquids I would carry (except for a drink, of course) would be sunscreen and maybe chamois cream. My sunscreen lives outside my Carradice so less chance of disaster there, and I may purchase chamois butter in a small tub, so less chance of a spill.

Note: no liquids allowed in drop bags - which is a good rule.

fatjel

Veteran
I've gone for 11.45.
Paul wanted to start late I wanted to start early so 11.45 it was
I shall be using battery lights, my b&m goes for ever on 4 aa's
Anker battery packs to keep the Garmins charged
Plan is simple .. Ride to Edinburgh and back..

Ajax Bay

Guru
Interesting discussion on another forum about gaming one's start time preference.
So far about 1000 have stated their preference, with the 6-8am 100 hour merchants about filling the 230 available slots. But about 50 (up to max 70) of those will be siphoned off onto the 0500 'go for it' start. So there's still 50 spare slots there which may or may not get filled.
Then the starts from 0900-1600 allow 50 for the first two hours (500) then 45 for 1130-1600 (855). The starts from 09-11 are oversubscribed (I expect that to extend to 1200 at least) with 0900 nearly 3x over.
Some will not express a preference and take what they're given (1500ish start). Some, maybe up to 10%, will drop out, and the places will not be back filled (I suspect a rider from a country not currently represented might be 'called up' - if I was organising, I would do this) - they have already accepted and had entry payments for 1650, effectively 'calling up' riders from the 'waiting list' in anticipation of dropout rate.
Phil has said he'll be 'locking' the start time preference element of the page around 18 March.
Danial has said he's minded to deal with the necessary reallocation of start times in order of under-oversubscription, ie if the available starts are 45 for a time and only a few more than 45 ask for it, they will be slotted in to the earliest available slots. This seems a thoughtful approach, with a clear rationale: encouraging people to opt for times where there is under demand or at least less over demand. The likely effect would seem to be that those wanting the earliest start time they can get (and at present 132 are chasing 50 places for the 0900 start so <40% chance) will be shunted to 1500+. Having a plan wishing to start at 0900 and getting 1530 is a significant change and this will be an incentive for some of the 0900 (and applies to 0915-1030 ones to a lesser extent) to change their preference to a less over subscribed time. I expect that to happen and it will be interesting to see movement in the 0900 number as 18 March approaches.
How that affects me (currently 0945 preference) I'm not sure, other than looking at my projection of arrival time at stops: Hull (an hour short of Pocklington), Moffat, Barnard Castle and Spalding. I'm hoping to get to each stop around 2300 and leave before dawn. And if I'm going well I should catch some of the 100 back markers (and ride with them). I really don't want to end up starting at 1500 as that'd mean riding the beautiful Teesdale in the dark on the way back, so perhaps I should bite the bullet and go for 1315 (or the earliest start time which is not oversubscribed) and accept riding into the wee hours that first night (to Hull South Cove Tl @ 310km). The challenge would then be (with Moffat likely out of reach) stopping at Brampton, which at midnight on Monday night will be heaving and beds rationed, perhaps. For me, riding to achieve 100 hours, after that I'd be ahead of the bulge, and end up with a 3 hour longer last day (eg 265km from Louth as opposed to Spalding (200).
Entirely open to the accusation of overthinking this:rolleyes:.
116km ridden on Saturday in benign conditions over to the edge of Dartmoor. Must ride more and plan less.

Last edited:
OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
I started at 8.15 in 2013. My initial plan was to get to Brampton before sleeping but that proved to be massively over-optimistic* and I ended up at Pocklington in the early hours. I think a later start would have made it more mentally difficult for me because at about 1am - 3am my body would have started wanting sleep but I wouldn't have been so far in to the ride.

*the basic plan held up which was to have 2nd sleep in Edinburgh

Nebulous

Guru
That all seems remarkably complicated for me. Coincidentally I've also gone for 9.45, mainly because it was the earliest time without being heavily oversubscribed. I'm in the need to ride more and plan more group. I broke out the good bike and did two 70k rides at the weekend with no ill effects. 1/20 th of the distance each day! Saturday was quicker, Sunday joined the club ride.

I've signed up for a 200 on the 5th of March, so that will give me some indication of where I am. I think I'll try a 300 and a 400 before July, but unlikely to go bigger than that.

Siclo

Veteran
Thanks. I'll test thoroughly. Seems pretty airtight at the moment

(I think the fish would definitely leak. They are one use only.

Not wishing to teach you to suck eggs but an empty ear drops bottle is the best thing I've found for carrying lube, not leaked in thousands of miles, has the dropper top built in for easy application and push down top to prevent accidental unscrewing.

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
Not wishing to teach you to suck eggs but an empty ear drops bottle is the best thing I've found for carrying lube, not leaked in thousands of miles, has the dropper top built in for easy application and push down top to prevent accidental unscrewing.
Do you need to carry lube? There are mechanics at the controls who are very helpful and have tools etc. I must admit to being a bit rude to one, I blame tiredness, cos all I wanted was some oil and he wanted to check my whole drivetrain but hey ho. Another at kirton southbound was a godsend when I did my usual cackhanded tube change

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I blame tiredness, cos all I wanted was some oil and he wanted to check my whole drivetrain but hey ho.

The volunteers at Barnard Castle control last time were warned some riders can get very tetchy due to exhaustion.

I didn't experience any unpleasantness, although there's no doubt one or two riders were having trouble stringing a sentence together when they arrived at the control.

Our mechanic was careful to ask if help was required, and what help that was.

Some riders didn't want to accept too much assistance presumably because it breached their notion of self-supported.

The volunteers at Barnard Castle control last time were warned some riders can get very tetchy due to exhaustion.

I didn't experience any unpleasantness, although there's no doubt one or two riders were having trouble stringing a sentence together when they arrived at the control.

Our mechanic was careful to ask if help was required, and what help that was.

Some riders didn't want to accept too much assistance presumably because it breached their notion of self-supported.
I dunno - I was pretty snarky after 13 hours overnight in the kitchen :biggrin:

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
My bad temper was Edinburgh south to Barnard Castle. There's a conversation on Facebook about combination locks and I've tried to impress just how tired you can get. I was crying my eyes out at BC I was so tired, Swmbo wanted me to bail when I spoke to her. Amazing what a few hours sleep can do though

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 4701324, member: 10119"]I dunno - I was pretty snarky after 13 hours overnight in the kitchen :biggrin:[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure about snarky, but I hit the tiredness buffers towards the end of one night.

You may not remember, but you ordered me out of the kitchen to take a break.

Good thing, too, and I was too tired to argue.

Top Bottom