Let's See Your Folding Bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
zouch.jpg

My M12R at Zouch, when I finished the A-Z Challenge.
It's a standard M6R, but with a 50-34 compact chainset, SPDs, bar ends and fairy-repellant Marathon tyres.

Gunk

Guru
View attachment 539355

My M12R at Zouch, when I finished the A-Z Challenge.
It's a standard M6R, but with a 50-34 compact chainset, SPDs, bar ends and fairy-repellant Marathon tyres.

Are you swapping over front cogs by hand? Or have you managed to fit a front mech?

evo456

Über Member
Another non Brompton, Dahon Vigor D9 (Tern Verge equiv). 9 speed, and a massive 53t chain ring !

Attachments

• IMG_20200829_155520.jpg
    IMG_20200829_155520.jpg
    351.3 KB · Views: 33

a.twiddler

Veteran
It may be a LWB recumbent, but it has just occurred to me that my Linear is also a folding bike. I partially folded it when collecting it so it would go in the car. It certainly does not fold like a Brompton, and it wouldn't go on a train even when folded, but for transportation on an occasional basis it certainly folds. To fold it completely involves removing the steering rod and folding or removing the seat. The wheels fold under, but you could also remove them.

Unfolded:-

Folded (not my bike!):-

Shortmember

Bickerton Cyclocross Racing Team groupie
My sole transport these days is this bulletproof little beauty that I've owned for twenty years. It can carry a week's load of shopping, is light enough for an old fart like me to carry up flights of steps, if necessary, and I can slog up most hills around here in Sussex without having to dismount. And an added bonus is that it's so uncool that I could probably leave it unlocked and it wouldn't get nicked.

My sole transport these days is this bulletproof little beauty that I've owned for twenty years. It can carry a week's load of shopping, is light enough for an old fart like me to carry up flights of steps, if necessary, and I can slog up most hills around here in Sussex without having to dismount. And an added bonus is that it's so uncool that I could probably leave it unlocked and it wouldn't get nicked.
. View attachment 550623

So uncool it IS cool if you ask me...

berlinonaut

Veteran
Is that Bickerton one of the Dahon-alikes?

I did look at a full size Bickerton a while back, but it was just a Dahon Jack with some nicer paint.
Bickerton today is run by Mark Bickerton (the son of the inventor of the Bickerton). He used to work closely with Dahon (but as far as I know Bickerton as a brand had no market presence at that time) and switched over to working with Tern when Josh Hon splitted from his father's company Dahon. At the same time he relaunched Bickerton as a brand, initially using Tern's designs and pimping them up with higher quality components and in retro optics. Seems to have worked well in Asia but possibly not so much in Europe. I've no idea how the current state is and if all current bickertons are rebranded Terns, but you may have a look yourself: https://www.bickertonportables.co.uk/bikes/

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Those Bickertons do all have a Tern/Dahon look about them.
I had one, a few years back. I also had a Daewoo Shuttle and a Decathlon folder, but got rid during a clearout a few years ag when N+1 was approaching S-1. The BikeCave was getting so full, I'm sure the buggers were breeding...

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
It may be a LWB recumbent, but it has just occurred to me that my Linear is also a folding bike. I partially folded it when collecting it so it would go in the car. It certainly does not fold like a Brompton, and it wouldn't go on a train even when folded, but for transportation on an occasional basis it certainly folds. To fold it completely involves removing the steering rod and folding or removing the seat. The wheels fold under, but you could also remove them.

Unfolded:-
View attachment 549918

Folded (not my bike!):-

View attachment 549919
You might get away with it on a train.
I brought a Pashley PDQ back from Kings Lynn on the train with no great drama, and that didn't fold at all.
I've also taken a Mission Trike on a train, although I just put it in the door area and sat on it.
People may have assumed I was disabled, which after riding a trike from Peterborough wasn't so far from the truth.
Didn't get on with the PDQ. It was too twitchy for my liking, and I've done tours, Ventoux and 50mph on a Brompton!

Top Bottom