Lights. CREE XML XM-L T6 / U2 etc Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Col5632

Guru
Am I right in saying that these come with 2 rubber O rings so you can attach this light to the handlebars ?

I think this is one of the downfalls of this light, a better mount is defo needed. I lost the screw that holds the light to the bracket too which didnt help :cry:

mrmacmusic

Veteran
I think this is one of the downfalls of this light, a better mount is defo needed. I lost the screw that holds the light to the bracket too which didnt help :cry:
It's my one and only concern at this point, and given the patchwork state of much of the tarmac on my commute route, I'll find out how good or bad the o-ring solution is at dealing with bumpy surfaces in about, oh, 45 minutes :unsure:

Col5632

Guru
It's my one and only concern at this point, and given the patchwork state of much of the tarmac on my commute route, I'll find out how good or bad the o-ring solution is at dealing with bumpy surfaces in about, oh, 45 minutes :unsure:

At first its seemed to hold ok for me but on the pretty bumpy stuff it moved about a bit.
Light was/is super bright but i think bad battery care by me and a poor battery in the first place meant my battery was discharging itself when not in use :cry: Worth the money just don't expect the battery to last a while :ohmy:

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby

OK thanks, I have ordered it and maybe come up with a Heath Robinson diy adaptation using zip ties

potsy

Rambler
Have ordered one of the op's lights too, hopefully it is as good as claimed :thumbsup:
Will use it on the off road bike thru winter, road bike can keep the Moon full time now, look out fossy, you'll be getting your retinas burned :evil:

mrmacmusic

Veteran
At first its seemed to hold ok for me but on the pretty bumpy stuff it moved about a bit.
Thought I'd report back after my first commute(s) with this light, and all I can say is...... it's magic! :wahhey:

Last night the road surfaces were damp, which usually soaks up the light from my Moon, but I felt much, much more confident with the XML-T6, as it had the 'car headlight' feel about it that I was hoping for, and definitely lit up the road surface better. It's worth mentioning perhaps that I haven't tried it without the diffuser lens (as I chose to pop that in right from the outset), but the spread of light is great – wide enough to light up the lane, with good illumination of the verges and in front of the wheel.

The brightest part of the diffused beam wasn't as significantly brighter than the Moon as I was expecting, but there is definitely far more 'usable' light. I'm pointing down of course, and wasn't flashed once by oncoming traffic, even when using the highest setting, so although this light is bright, I'm happy enough that I'm being as socially responsible as possible with it. Becoming more aware of just how bright some of the LED running lights and headlights are on cars these days though!

As for the O-rings, well I was pleasantly surprised there – there's no doubt it needs a proper mount (and I have a plan on that front:whistle:), but I was eye-balling the outer ring of illumination in relation to my front tyre, and it didn't seem to move about at all, unless of course I fiddled with the light position.

My commute last night was ~55 minutes, and the light was mostly on the medium setting, dropping to low when there was street-lighting, and up to high when I was on those dark back roads. The switch was still illuminated 'green' when I got home. This morning was bright enough such that I started on the medium setting, but dropped to low just for visibilities sake after about 15 minutes, and completely switched off for the last 10-15 minutes or so. So after ~1hr 40mins, the switch was still illuminated green, but with a definite blue tinge – not sure if the green light should've gone off, but it definitely looks like a second LED has come on.

So first impressions are extremely positive... only problem is I ripped the strap off the battery bag removing it last night :headshake:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I am soo tempted to get one of these cheapo ones for the TPT - the standard lense is quite spotty, so this would be excellent alongside my wide angle modified Magicshine ! Hmmmmmm - UK stock as well !

I can see a flame war with Potsy :laugh: That said I have on order from Hong Kong snail mail a 3 x T6 vapouriser unit ! :crazy:

Grayduff

Über Member
I also went for a ride with my new CREE XML XM-L T6 light last night and was very, very impressed, 90 min ride on full power and still going strong,as mrmac said the mount is adequate but could be better..but on the whole excellent very pleased.:thumbsup:

musa

Über Member
Worth it. Better to buy one or two? Probably one I would of thought

May order one now. And another set of batteries from torchy

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Worth it. Better to buy one or two? Probably one I would of thought

If you want to mess about off road, two is a good idea - one on bars (with the wide angle) and one on helmet as spot. I'm going both on bars, one spot (original lense), one wide. This is for off road though - I'll be turning them right down on the road. :cycle:

musa

Über Member
If you want to mess about off road, two is a good idea - one on bars (with the wide angle) and one on helmet as spot. I'm going both on bars, one spot (original lense), one wide. This is for off road though - I'll be turning them right down on the road. :cycle:

It's for road use. So one should be ok. I have two Cree q5 torches ATM

Grayduff

Über Member
I also went for a ride with my new CREE XML XM-L T6 light last night and was very, very impressed, 90 min ride on full power and still going strong,as mrmac said the mount is adequate but could be better..but on the whole excellent very pleased.:thumbsup:
UPDATE : 90 min last night full power and a further 2hrs 20 min this morning on full power green light with 10 min on red light before it switched off..So almost 4 hrs on full power WOW...:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Top Bottom