Living on your own.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Don't worry about dying alone - if you are dead then you won't know how long it was before someone found your body, and you won't be particularly bothered by any delay either!

Worry about nearly-dying... When I flaked out in 2012 I came round close to death. I could hear children playing in the street outside but I couldn't make a sound. I lapsed in and out of consciousness for over 3 hours before I could crawl to a phone and summon help. That really was not a pleasant experience.

DOES-NOT-COMPUTE... :wacko:

You do realise that the risk of getting serious blood clotting complications from Covid-19 is many times the risk of getting them from the vaccine, right? :whistle:

Speaking as someone who has been horribly f*cked by blood clots twice, my first reaction when I heard the silly scare stories was... WHY THE HELL IS IT TAKING SO LONG TO GIVE ME MY DAMN VACCINE!!!! (I have since had one jab and eagerly await my second.)

As for living alone... I realised years ago that I have pretty much lived alone all my life, and that effectively includes when I was a child. My sisters shared a room, but I always had my own and spent many hours in there alone. My dad was away working a lot of the time and my mum was busy keeping the household running. I didn't speak to my sisters much. I was pretty much alone in a house with other people wandering about... I got used to it.

And here I am 60-plus years on, still spending most of my life alone. I finally left the parental home at 28 and in the 37 years since I have only spent 6 months living in the same household as someone else, and that involved kipping in a sleeping bag on their floor every night.

75% of my conversations are inside my own head, 20% are out aloud but still with myself. The other 5% are with the poor people that I bombard when I finally DO have some company! People with a busy social life don't tend to make 40,000+ posts on a cycling forum...

Anybody who has been on a forum ride with me will probably have noticed that I rarely shut up. One person pointed out that, sorry, but he would prefer not to chat when going down a twisty-turny descent at 70 km/hr! The thing is, I might not have said a word to another person for a week or two before such a bike ride so I would just be unloading my bottled-up thoughts onto them.

It may be that I finally do hitch up with someone but it is unlikely since I gave up looking over 15 years ago. The chances of me finding someone who I could put up with are slim, and even if I managed that, would they actually be prepared to put up with me!

A friend has my spare key and I asked her what she would do if she thought something was wrong. She said she would try phoning for a day or two and eventually come over to check up on me if I didn't answer. I told her that it would be better to dial 999 or she might be faced with my decomposing body. She said that she wouldn't leave it too long, so my remains would probably still be relatively fresh. I'm not sure about that - sometimes we go a week between phone calls. Add a few days to that in a hot summer and things could get a bit whiffy!

I will probably die alone. I just hope that it is quick so I don't have to go through a nightmare experience like the one that I had in 2012.

Well, that's the cheerful news update for today - time to put the kettle on! :okay:
Thanks for sharing Colin. The is one post I could not find a single suitable emoji. It is rather intense I must say and does not fit the usual mould.

Craig the cyclist

Über Member
This is one of the reasons why i will not have the Covid vaccine. I have a fear of it causing a blood clot while i'm asleep or just sat there in my chair.

Unbelievable! Hopefully you won't get Covid, but if you do, how do you think the breathlessness and coughing will feel? I assume you re banking on people hearing you cough and splutter, and that some other people will risk infection to rescue you and save your life?

Oh, and in the jacket thread you didn't strike me as a woman under 30 years of age, but maybe it was a trick of the camera angle :rolleyes:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
how do you think the breathlessness and coughing will feel?
I haven't had COVID breathlessness and coughing, but my PE breathlessness (which was a very similar experience) felt like someone had sucked 90% of the oxygen out of the air and what was left was barely enough to keep me alive so I was gasping like a fish out of water. My heart was struggling to cope so my pulse rate when lying down was over 150 bpm for several days.

As for coughing - I coughed so hard with my PEs that I either broke a rib or pulled a muscle in my back. The pain was so bad that I could barely bring myself to breathe, but I was so close to suffocation that I had to.

I feel so sorry for all those poor severe Covid sufferers. It makes me really angry that some people don't take the disease seriously.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
No wanting to turn this thread into a pro/anti vaccine thread,but
Unbelievable! Hopefully you won't get Covid, but if you do, how do you think the breathlessness and coughing will feel?
Have you heard that the government is encouraging local authorities to employ 'covid marshals' till next year at the earliest. But,but when we've all had the vaccine we'll be free yes??!!:rolleyes:

MntnMan62

Über Member

Have you heard that the government is encouraging local authorities to employ 'covid marshals' till next year at the earliest. But,but when we've all had the vaccine we'll be free yes??!!:rolleyes:

If only things were this simple. There have been multiple cases where people have gotten Covid after having been vaccinated. Not from the vaccine. Just the vaccine did not protect them. I'm fully vaccinated but I still wear a mask and tend to stay away from groups of people. That protects both me and other people. I realize people are anxious to get back to life as we knew it before Covid, that's just not realistic yet. Among other things, Covid has shown just how impatient humans can be. It's always me me me and now now now. Selfish.

Drago

Legendary Member

Sadly Accy, we'll never be free. Some people can't have the vacdine for genuine medical reasons, some choose notmto have it, and there's the ever present risk of constant mutation beyond the means of an existing vaccine to combat. Some degree of distancing, masks and annual boosters will be with us forever.:sad:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Sadly Accy, we'll never be free. Some people can't have the vacdine for genuine medical reasons, some choose notmto have it, and there's the ever present risk of constant mutation beyond the means of an existing vaccine to combat. Some degree of distancing, masks and annual boosters will be with us forever.:sad:
Yep 😢

Dave7

Legendary Member
My little contribution.
Married at 21.....MrsD was 19.
For whatever reason we both wanted a baby and 'bingo' an immediate success.
54 great years.
The last 18 months have been crap healthwise and it really hurts me to see my wife struggling.
Might sounds terrible but.....if we can't go together then I hope I go 2nd as I "think" I could cope better than her.
Hope that has not put a dampener on things.

Slick

Guru
My little contribution.
Married at 21.....MrsD was 19.
For whatever reason we both wanted a baby and 'bingo' an immediate success.
54 great years.
The last 18 months have been crap healthwise and it really hurts me to see my wife struggling.
Might sounds terrible but.....if we can't go together then I hope I go 2nd as I "think" I could cope better than her.
Hope that has not put a dampener on things.
Now you have brought it up, I've always reckoned the opposite is true and the natural order of things is for the male to go first. Saying that, I have long suspected whichever hand you are dealt, you would want another.

Baldy

Über Member
63, been living alone for 25 or so years, can't remember exactly how many. Don't miss having other people around. Don't really get lonely. I like being free to just do things. I'm happy as things are. I have male friends and female friends what more do I need.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
75% of my conversations are inside my own head, 20% are out aloud but still with myself.
I'd say 90 percent of my 'conversations' today have been me talking to myself in my head. 8 percent me shouting at things on the radio (like constant mind numbing adverts) and 2 percent interaction with the checkout staff at Tesco.

Ok,i've had interaction on CC and that helps.

Bank Holidays are crap,especially this one! No shops open (sounds familiar),pissing down all the time and no one out and about to have a natter with!:thumbsdown:

And here i am again,shouting at Dreary O'Leary and his fecking mind numbing national lottery adverts!!:cursing:

Last edited:
Top Bottom