Lock Advice - I have a selection !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SO8

Veteran
After some views - if using two locks do people use a D lock and a chain, or potentially two D locks ?
If two D locks is it worth taking 2 makes or both the same make ?

The D locks I have are not light, but then neither is a chain and lock. I take the lock/s in a pannier when out so don't notice the weight hugely.

D lock wise I am talking Abus Granite 59 (I have two, used to use them on a motorbike and scooter) and/or a Kryptonite M-18 lock which I got solely for the bicycle.
Chain wise a Pragmasis 13mm (that was on the motorbike too) and a 10mm Kryptonite Evolution chain lock (saw the lock picking lawyer uses one so got it).

Any views on which 'combination' to use when out - not left overnight, just for near somewhere to eat/drink for an hour or so (when we can!).

I've seen loads of stuff re them getting cut off, etc. Chains at first appear more vulnerable but if off ground maybe not ?

As I no longer have the motorbike or scooter I am in the 'lucky' position of having a load of options ... albeit I've spent loads on locks I won't be using as not going back on a motorbike after many years of commuting on one.

figbat

Slippery scientist
It depends to some extent on your bike too. If it’s worth nicking then a determined thief will have it. If it’s just to prevent a casual opportunist then any lock is better than none. Another factor is carrying it all - do you have the means and motivation to heave a heavy lock around for a café stop? If it’s a more urban setting then maybe it’s worth it. Finally, what you lock it to is also a factor. Pointless having an indestructible lock if they can quickly slice through the mild steel railing you have locked it to.

OP
OP
S

SO8

Veteran
I'm in SW London. If I was in, say, Norfolk, I wouldn't be as concerned :smile: I'll lock it to a bike stand normally, though I have used the chain around a lamp post before. The bike cost £1000 so dear enough to be appealing to thieves (though them seem to nick anything and in some ways the more expensive maybe not as easy to move on?).

I don't notice one D lock in a pannier but prob would with another one or a chain.

vickster

Legendary Member
I’ve left expensive bikes in SW London town centres (often Kingston) with just a D Lock, on a sheffield stand or sign post. Day and evening, for several hours. I choose a well trafficked area as much as possible.
I’ll use a cable and D lock at a station, again in a busy site, while in central London, I’ve used 2 D locks when leaving all day
if you have a Brooks saddle, do protect it with a cable, friend had one nicked in Richmond

Reactions: SO8
OP
OP
S

SO8

Veteran
I’ve left expensive bikes in SW London town centres (often Kingston) with just a D Lock, on a sheffield stand or sign post. Day and evening, for several hours. I choose a well trafficked area as much as possible.
I’ll use a cable and D lock at a station, again in a busy site, while in central London, I’ve used 2 D locks when leaving all day
if you have a Brooks saddle, do protect it with a cable, friend had one nicked in Richmond

Thanks. I am in New Malden so near Kingston. The saddle is not a posh one, just an uprated Specialized one ... with a split where I went for a flying lesson a few years ago :smile:

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I have used a single d lock (gold standard) and security skewers for the last 10 years, before that I used ball bearings glued into the allen head on the seatpost and took the front wheel off to attach with the rest of the bike. This includes leaving a bike in central London.

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks. I am in New Malden so near Kingston. The saddle is not a posh one, just an uprated Specialized one ... with a split where I went for a flying lesson a few years ago :smile:
Single D lock should be fine in NM. Maybe a cable for the wheel if leaving for many hours. I’ve never bothered removing a front wheel anywhere!

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Single 'D' but take the front wheel off and put the lock round summat solid then through the back wheel, frame and front wheel.
That's exactly what I do in London. The D lock is the cheapest I could find that meets the Sold Secure Gold rating. I also have insurance for the bikes added to our home contents insurance. Unfortunately, portable angle grinders and a 1mm cutting disk will fubar pretty much any lock.

CXRAndy

Guru
I have a Kryptonite New York FAHGETTABOUDIT D lock. It weighs more than planet Pluto. It certainly will give a thief 20 or 30 seconds worth of trouble:biggrin:

Reactions: SO8

NotAsGoodAsMyBike

I’m in New Malden too. I gave up lugging my Kryptonite D-lock around years ago (unless I’m going up to central London). For shopping here/Kingston/Wimbledon/Richmond I just use an Abus cable lock (called the 660 I think) but I’m “only” using a 14 year old steel fixed when going shopping so I’m just looking for a deterrent rather than something that will stop someone who wants to steal it.

If I’m on my posh titanium bike, I ain’t stopping and locking!

Ian

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Lock the rear wheel to something immovable, within the rear triangle of the bike. This prevents theft of the rear wheel and the bike, because the rear wheel can't be removed from the bike. If the area is rough and/or you have a QR front wheel, lock that up with the same lock or a cable lock.

You can't ever prevent a determined thief with a cordless angle grinder, so park your bike next to nicer ones and also make yours harder to steal.

Top Bottom