London shall change the face of cycling in the UK

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chap

Veteran
cyclehirescheme372.jpg

The London Cycle Hire Scheme will mark the tipping point which shall cause its Zone 1 - 3 citizens to discard (or severely reduce usage of) the car, and seek the bicycle as a viable contender. This in turn shall extend to better cyclist provisions across the capital, and then, by extension, the country!

The London Cycle Hire Scheme is fast approaching, and anyone who has followed the Velib scheme shall be aware of what is up for grabs. I, as pointed out in many of my posts, am extremely excited about the prospects this scheme may bring, not only for the capital and the country.

Currently, the UK has 3 well established cycle cities / towns:

• Oxford
  • Cambridge
  • York
Whilst, these places are fantastic in their own right, they are not viewed as comparable to most run towns and cities. Indeed, in many places, the cycling provisions are sporadic, and badly thought out. Unfortunately, many of the titled 'Cycling Towns' appear to have taken the money and ran, alas nowhere towards reducing the dependency on car, improving the infrastructure for pedestrians and cyclists, and thus improving the quality of life for its citizens.

London is a different kettle of fish, in parts it is small enough to resemble the local village, but as a whole it is colossal and dwarves any upstart contender in the Nation. Thus, it is the perfect representation for a transportation system in the UK, especially with its legendary congestion issues. There simply is no excuse.

My enthusiasm, stems from the ubiquity, and undeniably positive effect that the Vélib system has had on Paris, during a series of visits over the years, I have noticed driers transmogrify from crazy kamikaze like lunatics, to slightly crazy - bike friendly - drivers. This is on the strength of well-thought planning, a sound and progressive mayor, and thus, as a result the Vélib scheme.

The uptake has been phenomenal, it was calculated that a minority accounted for the majority of the road usage, thus changes were made:

• Bus lanes were widened to accommodate the bus & cyclist
  • Pedestrianised zones were created
  • More cycle lanes were defined, and these are meaningful ones which span more than 10 meters
That and the scheme which was implemented, to great success. I believe the same can be true for London. In spite of the incompetence of many that should have known better, cycling has taken off to a very noticeable extent here. The LCC appear to be doing a fine job, and many districts are catching on including Camden, and even Westminster.

As it stands, the UK are famous for brands such as Brompton, Pashley, and Bobbins, thus the culture was here, and still it pervades the car driven age - in parts. The whole cycle chic movement has a good base in the UK, primarily London; and there are established bike cultures, such as the fixies from the East, the Islington chicness, and those commited cyclists in Lambeth.

Then we have schemes such as the South West Trains Brompton Rental scheme, the proposed (albeit uninspiring) Cycle highways, the LCC commuter train, and the actual rental scheme itself. Therefore, is there any reason why this scheme should fail?

My argument is hinging on the popularity of the London Cycle scheme, which shall at last cause that 'critical mass' to be reached in which the majority recognise that cycling is the best option for London commuting (or multi-modal transport.) This, I believe shall be extrapolated towards better schemes across the country, taking inspiration from the capital.

In short, come May, London shall be noted as a cycling capital, and what better tribute to the Olympics than to get a large proportion of its residents, and the nation, back into cycling, something we used to be the leader in. In an age of uncertainty, mass debt, future threats from lack and abuse of natural resources, surely this is the time to promote a sustainable, scalable, and healthy transportation option.

I will be interested to hear your opinions.

LINKS

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
lack of integration with oyster card = mega fail

OP
OP
chap

chap

Veteran
There have been a lot of set backs. However, your average politician is not interested in the solution, more a quick fix. There is a lot of interest in this scheme, and a lot of cyclists. If that is an easy way to score points then they'll jump on it.

At the moment the prevailing attitude, as sensed by the politicians, is that car drivers don't want this. Thus other than a few platitudes about how we need to cut emission rates, and go green, they'll still support Heathrow Airport extensions and reduced congestion zones.

If this becomes popular, which it shall - after all the Vélib scheme is not set with the actual Metro (or at least to my knowledge) - then more borough politicians shall be accommodating towards expansion into their boroughs. More cyclists will mean that needless deaths caused by HGV vans on ill-suited roads, shall be noted more firmly, and a less cursory attitude will be extended towards feasibility and safety.

The Oyster card already has proven itself as a concept, people know that it works, and your statement pays testement to that fact. Yet, it took time before many people in the outer zones could connect their services with it, in fact I believe that Greenwich has recently gained Oyster compatibility. Likewise, the London Cycle Hire Scheme (they really ought to develop a more catchy name) shall succeed.

thomas

the tank engine
I know the bikes are probably awful, but if I went to London I'd happily use the bike to get around. They're free aren't they? Looking at the site it seems there's a £1 initial charge?

That'd probably put me off a bit, as I could walk most places and a tube card is cheap (and easier than trying to navigate to the places that are a bit further away)

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
6000 bicycles! Although it sounds great, isn't there the problem that it wills squeeze badly needed normal private cycle parking?

Anyway I find the scheme interesting as I know one of two people who constantly make excuses for not buying a bicycle or trying one who live in London and the scheme might be the sort of thing to get them to give it a go.

I'd use them if I visited London, and less concerned about the cost than Thomas.

P.S. How does the payment system work, do you have to put your credit card in the side of the bike or slot in 20p coins or what?

OP
OP
chap

chap

Veteran
marinyork said:
6000 bicycles! Although it sounds great, isn't there the problem that it wills squeeze badly needed normal private cycle parking?

Anyway I find the scheme interesting as I know one of two people who constantly make excuses for not buying a bicycle or trying one who live in London and the scheme might be the sort of thing to get them to give it a go.

I'd use them if I visited London, and less concerned about the cost than Thomas.

P.S. How does the payment system work, do you have to put your credit card in the side of the bike or slot in 20p coins or what?

Like the Vélib scheme it appears to be credit-card based - a fitting method considering the levels of debt in this country ;)

From TfL here is a breakdown of the charges:

Usage charges

Up to 30 minutes: Free
Up to 1 hour: £1
Up to 1 hour and 30 minutes: £4
Up to 2 hours: £6
Up to 2 hours and 30 minutes: £10
Up to 3 hours: £15
Up to 6 hours: £35
Up to 24 hours (maximum usage fee): £50

Other charges
Late return charge £150
Damage charge Up to £300
Non-return charge £300

Source:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/roadusers/cycling/12444.aspx

Related article: http://www.bikebiz.com/news/31544/London-Cycle-Hire-Scheme-will-be-free-for-first-half-hour

marinyork

I'd go with that, well very good actually, I expected them to be a lot more greedy, although the rate of the damage/late return worries me, I can imagine an electronic system not docking properly/making a mistake and charging you, that'd put me off a bit. I suppose Londoners with there super swish buses will probably complain of the cost though!

Hmmm wonder if I could cycle from St Pancras to Earl's Court in an hour, hmmm can't remember how far out I got at the 30 and 60 min mark.

OP
OP
chap

chap

Veteran
marinyork said:
I'd go with that, well very good actually, I expected them to be a lot more greedy, although the rate of the damage/late return worries me, I can imagine an electronic system not docking properly/making a mistake and charging you, that'd put me off a bit. I suppose Londoners with there super swish buses will probably complain of the cost though!

Hmmm wonder if I could cycle from St Pancras to Earl's Court in an hour, hmmm can't remember how far out I got at the 30 and 60 min mark.

If you couldn't, you could stop for a sandwich halfway, docking the bike, then get another. Therefore, besides the cost of the snack, it's free.

Although do you think that this could have positive ramifications for the way that cycling is dealt with across the country? (or even in London itself)

marinyork

How far out does zone 3 go anyway if the scheme ever gets out that far?

OP
OP
chap

chap

Veteran
marinyork said:
How far out does zone 3 go anyway if the scheme ever gets out that far?

Using Crystal Palace as a random example (it is also on Zone 4) it is about 8.1 miles from St Pancras Int. Station. That is a reasonable commute, yet the scheme has not been extended that far 'Sarf' yet.

Initially, it shall be confined to Zone 1 (http://www.tfl.gov.uk/roadusers/cycling/12445.aspx) which in itself is an important zone, and one at which many people pass through. Areas such as Camden, Islington, and Lambeth are largely residential thus shall be interesting to watch, as their cycling culture has already grown immensely.

Plus, if anyone can make use of it for commuting, it will be those at the fringes of Zone 1 such as that district.

The way I see it, the current gulf of funding has gone into establishing the framework, as the scheme succeeds it ought to be easy to scale across London.

This will certainly be of use in the centre, but shall prove extremely useful to your average Londoner, shopper, and especially to those in the poorer areas.

On this merit, the virtues of cycling should become visibly evident, and local councils should cotton on and implement accordingly.

marinyork

chap said:
If you couldn't, you could stop for a sandwich halfway, docking the bike, then get another. Therefore, besides the cost of the snack, it's free.

Although do you think that this could have positive ramifications for the way that cycling is dealt with across the country? (or even in London itself)

Yeah, it sounds pretty good to me, it'd have been of great use to me in the past in London.

I'm not sure what effect it'd have on how cycling is dealt with. I would think it might make bigger pots of money for things like the cycling hubs we're getting outside London ;). The sort of thing it might effect is things like secure cycle parking where they've been very, very arsy about relatively small funds to do these schemes that might have gigantic benefits. Also similar hire schemes elsewhere.

On the other hand I doubt it'll make a blind bit of difference to the bread and butter issues round here like bikes on trams, trains, tram/train, integrated cycle transport, cycle parking, cycle parking in new builds, etc etc etc.

marinyork

chap said:
Using Crystal Palace as a random example (it is also on Zone 4) it is about 8.1 miles from St Pancras Int. Station. That is a reasonable commute, yet the scheme has not been extended that far 'Sarf' yet.

Initially, it shall be confined to Zone 1 (http://www.tfl.gov.uk/roadusers/cycling/12445.aspx) which in itself is an important zone, and one at which many people pass through. Areas such as Camden, Islington, and Lambeth are largely residential thus shall be interesting to watch, as their cycling culture has already grown immensely.

Plus, if anyone can make use of it for commuting, it will be those at the fringes of Zone 1 such as that district.

Not commuting. I'm just asking for purely hypothetical reasons because (a) I'd go out of zone 1 and (;) the people I know who might use it, it's not essential that it goes to zone 3 or 4 but it'd be really be an awful lot better if it went to zone 2. I think just zone 1 and those prices have a lot going for it though, I'm really going to pester people to have a go.

P.S. I think other people are generally positive about non-cyclists occasionally using this sort of thing. Charities moan bitterly about these sorts of people.

OP
OP
chap

chap

Veteran
marinyork said:
Yeah, it sounds pretty good to me, it'd have been of great use to me in the past in London.

I'm not sure what effect it'd have on how cycling is dealt with. I would think it might make bigger pots of money for things like the cycling hubs we're getting outside London :laugh:. The sort of thing it might effect is things like secure cycle parking where they've been very, very arsy about relatively small funds to do these schemes that might have gigantic benefits. Also similar hire schemes elsewhere.

On the other hand I doubt it'll make a blind bit of difference to the bread and butter issues round here like bikes on trams, trains, tram/train, integrated cycle transport, cycle parking, cycle parking in new builds, etc etc etc.

There is a link I posted to an Intelligent Life article (PIMP MY VELO), they mentioned that Bike shops are doing very well because of this Vélib scheme. Notice that the Bicing scheme in Barcelona - which too is popular, operates in a way that only locals can use it - the rational behind this is so that the local bicycle rental companies are not challenged.

Whilst this is ridiculous, the London Cycle Hire scheme has operated more effectively to ensure that the bikes are used for short hops, rather than day treks. This is to also keep the scheme sweet with Bike shops / hire places. As such, there is no reason - considering the cost of owning a car in the City and the reletively low ownership - for bicycles to take off. Afterall, look at the Brompton.

With more people owning bicycles, they shall expect more facilities to cater for them, such as more spaces for parking, better bicycle paths (not the half-arsed excuses we are used to), and overall safer routes.

Any politician worth their salt, would see this as an opportunity to blame the opposition, and jump on the whole Green Britain / Healthy Living train. With this in mind, companies would be hard pressed to continually treat us as 2nd class citizens.

It does all sound like wishful conjecture, although these are taken from examples of what has already happened in many cities, Paris included. Paris is our best bet, as we live in similar conditions - although we pay more. Therefore, with the little that is done, there shall be a noticeable adoption, and if it is improving issues then who is to stand in the way of that?

Paris has a lot of space to admire their buildings and such thus it can be enjoyed from car, yet many claim that bicycle is the only way to go. London, in my opinion outshines its Gallic counterpart, yet does not give space to the buildings at all, there are so many things happening at once that by car the experience is magical yet fleeting, by bike it is a complete emersive experience. If we could just tame the cars, and tackle other dangers (HGV's) then the bicycle would be the vehicle of choice.

OP
OP
chap

chap

Veteran
marinyork said:
Not commuting. I'm just asking for purely hypothetical reasons because (a) I'd go out of zone 1 and (:laugh: the people I know who might use it, it's not essential that it goes to zone 3 or 4 but it'd be really be an awful lot better if it went to zone 2. I think just zone 1 and those prices have a lot going for it though, I'm really going to pester people to have a go.

P.S. I think other people are generally positive about non-cyclists occasionally using this sort of thing. Charities moan bitterly about these sorts of people.

I understand, although with eventual expansion (like the Oyster card) this should be a short-lived issue.

Generally, I would imagine that the initial scheme would be best suited to:

• Commuters within the peak-hours
  • Tourists from lunch-time on-wards
  • Shoppers and tourists during the weekend
It is surprising how such simple features can have a profound effect, I recently got a basket for my bike, and to say it is a huge weight off my shoulders is a fact and an under-exaggeration.

I no longer use the car for shopping. Now imagine what a releif it would be to go shopping on the soon(ish) to be de-congested Oxford Street, without having to worry about sore arms.

marinyork

I will look at all the links, but more over time, they are actually a good list, just I'll have thoroughly read it all before the scheme starts and pester power begins :laugh:. I think the excusemongers I know would give it a go at those prices, quite happily, which is the idea of the scheme! Anything that gets them on the bikes and then makes them buy a bike is good!

As for London, chap, yeah maybe it's right, but cycle politics in London and elsewhere are similar and different. If it made things even slightly easier elsewhere it would be good, a lot of cycle stuff here works on bizarre small pots of money and schemes being strung together, anything outside the box and you have to beg and beg and beg, even if it is 1 sheffield stand.

Top Bottom