FNRttC London to BOGNOR REGIS (okay, Felpham) - 1st September 2017

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Before i sign on the dotted line are there any issues with the trains getting home (southern railway)?

The last train strike still had most of the services running. It just meant that instead of a direct train leaving Bognor and heading to Victoria, it was a local shuttle, so you had to change at Barnham, to then pick up the Portsmouth to Victoria service. The local Southern drivers don't seem too militant. In any event, as it's only on the Friday, there shouldn't be a problem.

And anyone allergic to hills will be relieved to know we won't be going up Bury Hill, but will be using the Gurkha bridge. Your intrepid correspondent has been chopping back the undergrowth. Although I should have used a kukri to be 100% authentic.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
The current works at Waterloo are due to finish on the Tuesday before this ride, so the Havant option should be a practicable one if there are no Southern trains.
It would be anyway…a lot of journey times are extended while the work's on, but there's not too much bother.

[QUOTE 4927687, member: 21629"]Southern trains:

Strike action on 1 and 4 September 2017

We have been advised by the RMT that their Conductor and Driver members will strike on Friday 1 and Monday 4 September 2017.

Southeastern trains:

Tuesday 29 August – Friday 1 September

There will be no Southeastern services to or from Charing Cross, Waterloo East, or London Bridge. Trains will run to Victoria, Waterloo, Cannon Street or Blackfriars but it will be an amended timetable with fewer trains into and out of London. Cannon Street station will be extremely busy with queuing in place - check for live information before you travel.

And, just to add more charm to all that mess, National Rail website and app doesn't work. "We're having IT problems" blah blah blah.

[/QUOTE]
As stated above, shouldn't be an issue, as during the strikes, most trains still run anyway and in any event, you'll be getting a train on Saturday 2nd September which isn't a strike day.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
As stated above, shouldn't be an issue, as during the strikes, most trains still run anyway and in any event, you'll be getting a train on Saturday 2nd September which isn't a strike day.
Some people need a train to get into London on the Friday evening!

(We're away, alas).

mmmmartin

Random geezer
a train to get into London on the Friday evening!
"Trains will run to Victoria, Waterloo, Cannon Street or Blackfriars but it will be an amended timetable with fewer trains into and out of London"
This is warning poor sods such as me, who travel during the day. A train to London arriving about 10.30pm on the Friday will no no problem at all. And as @Flying Dodo says, we'll be returning on the Saturday, about mid-morning.
I'm in Kent, I'm not worried.

Top Bottom